Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    My first reaction is who is Rob Pardos?

Why would this threaten vanilla? Vanilla has been gone for 13 years so they are at least that late to the game. If you mean classic? No idea we still have no idea was a classic wow server entails.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Pardo

And considering his new venture hasn't even been announced and we don't even know if it's an MMO.
    I'd have to go with "zero".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    Link please?
    No threat at all.

Bonfire Studios plans to spend much of 2018 prototyping ideas for PC and mobile online multiplayer games before choosing its first project
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...018-and-beyond

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybear14 View Post
    Everyone has there own opinion on this, but I feel it will have to be something special to knock World of Warcraft off top spot. Starwars, DC Universe, Final Fantasy XIV, Rift and Wildstar have all tried and failed. WoW has never had any strong competition to knock it off the top spot, WoW will still be around for years because there is nothing out there to compare it to... I've played most of the MMO's i've listed so this is just my opinion on my experience playing them.

I do hope something new does come out and challenge WoW, but as I said, it will take something special to do it.
    Lets be honest though: FF14 is probably the one MMO out of those that could be considered Second Place, so it certainly hasn't really failed. Well, besides 1.0. But it got better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I played Wildstar on launch and thought it was boring as fuck, bland in so many ways. How you can rag on Vanilla fanboys and then say WildStar was fun as fuck is crazy, because Wildstar was just a bad attempt to cash in on that Vanilla/TBC nostalgia gaming.
    im not ragging on vanilla fanboys, unless fanboy is an inherently a bad thing to you. I'm a wow fanboy 100%. I know i'll get the next expansion no matter what happens. I will play and look forward to vanilla. The thing i was pointing out is that the vanilla fanboys are massive in numbers and extremely dedicated to vanilla. There isn't a hope in hell that any other mmo will make them swap to it over vanilla.

There are certain fanbases like witcher 3 (im part of this one) or half life 2 that insist and will refuse to admit any other game of the same genre is better. I will probably never encounter an RPG thats better than witcher 3 for example. Vanilla has a fanbase like this and its huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    im not ragging on vanilla fanboys, unless fanboy is an inherently a bad thing to you. I'm a wow fanboy 100%. I know i'll get the next expansion no matter what happens. I will play and look forward to vanilla. The thing i was pointing out is that the vanilla fanboys are massive in numbers and extremely dedicated to vanilla. There isn't a hope in hell that any other mmo will make them swap to it over vanilla.

There are certain fanbases like witcher 3 (im part of this one) or half life 2 that insist and will refuse to admit any other game of the same genre is better. I will probably never encounter an RPG thats better than witcher 3 for example. Vanilla has a fanbase like this and its huge.
    "Fanboy" is a derogatory term used on the internet so of course it's considered a bad thing, a fan is another matter. It's ok to call yourself a fanboy, but your tone/demeanor in coversation doesn't come across in text, if you talk about fans as fanboys you come across as if you're intending to flame/disrespect fans of the game as well as giving the impression you're sitting on the opposite side of the fence.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The way i see it, the key to success of vanilla is that it will have an in game community. The problem is that rob pardo is dedicated to releasing his own mmo type game with a strong focus on an in game community. Myself, i consider legion to be the “end” of wow and im planning on switching to pardos mmo. Vanilla is just there as a backup in case pardos effort sucks (and i dont think it will). In short, vanilla is coming too late. Im already moving on. Thoughts?
    Considering Vanilla will likely be out long before whatever Pardo decides to release...I think the threat is pretty limited.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I'm generally skeptical of any new MMO... I've enjoyed a few of them. Wildstar and Guild Wars 2 were pretty fun... for a time. Their main problem are that they launch before being ready and then don't have the funding to provide enough new content to keep players satisfied.

If it is a promising project, I will probably check it out... I still occasionally play SWTOR when I need a SW fix.

Jumping the gun a little 'eh?

They aren't anywhere near to releasing, hell, even announcing their first project.

Silly thread.

First hit on Google: "Rob Pardo: Developers 'avoiding the term MMO'".

http://www.develop-online.net/interv...rm-mmo/0209585

I mean, obviously the answer is no. But from the sounds of it, it won't even be a traditional MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Micka Steelspark View Post
    Ain't Rob Pardo the moron who got banned from his own game forum and then fired from his own company?
    Nah, that's one and only Mark Kern

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    First hit on Google: "Rob Pardo: Developers 'avoiding the term MMO'".

http://www.develop-online.net/interv...rm-mmo/0209585

I mean, obviously the answer is no. But from the sounds of it, it won't even be a traditional MMO.
    Did you even read that article. (From 2015) It was all about how developers are avoiding the term MMO because they are scared of competing with WoW and the comparisons player will make to it.

Lol nowhere does it say it won't be an MMO.

People are confusing MMO with MMORPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    Did you even read that article. (From 2015) It was all about how developers are avoiding the term MMO because they are scared of competing with WoW and the comparisons player will make to it.

Lol nowhere does it say it won't be an MMO.
    I said traditional MMO. And that was the point I was making yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Nah, that's one and only Mark Kern
    Aaah, right. Thanks for clearing it up. :>
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

The way i see it, the key to success of vanilla is that it will have an in game community. The problem is that rob pardo is dedicated to releasing his own mmo type game with a strong focus on an in game community. Myself, i consider legion to be the “end” of wow and im planning on switching to pardos mmo. Vanilla is just there as a backup in case pardos effort sucks (and i dont think it will). In short, vanilla is coming too late. Im already moving on. Thoughts?
    It is funny, do you know how many "WoW" Killers have been said that this will kill WoW and none have so why start a thread on that premise......that is great you are switching.....no one cares there will be someone else to take your place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    It is funny, do you know how many "WoW" Killers have been said that this will kill WoW and none have so why start a thread on that premise......that is great you are switching.....no one cares there will be someone else to take your place.
    Star Wars The Old Republic
    RIFT
    Guild Wars 2
    TERA
    FFXIV
    The Secret World
    Black Desert
    Blade and Soul
    Archeage
    Age of Conan
    Warhammer Online
    TESO
    Wildstar

Probably missing a few Kappa

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakah View Post
    Lol mobile fuckin icky get it out of here. Already rip

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to be that person but lol@people who think any MMO at this point is a threat to WoW.

Especially once they release classic, which will probably be a built-in server option. Rob Pardo can release all the MMOs he wants, he isn't 'dethroning' anything.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

New MMOs don't really threaten older ones directly. The notion that they do mostly comes from fanboy arguments and clickbait game journalism articles.

When older MMOs fizzle out its usually due to poor decisions by the dev team or parent company -- not genre competition. When new MMOs fizzle out it's usually because they failed to attract an audience, suffer from technical problems (usually a contributing factor in the first issue), or simply can't produce content at an acceptable pace to maintain interest.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice