Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Awesome, then the genetic scrap that invades the north can move back to wherever they came from and let the rest of us who are used to cold handle it.

Bring it on.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    You’ll notice I’m asking a question, indicating I’m not sure. Not sure why you’re approaching it aggressively.
    RAGE!!!!! Sorry, most climate deniers open with "innocent" questions and then jump into fact-denial. My bad.

From what I know, and most of that is information from @Endus, we're already seeing dramatic human caused climate change weather. And that's going back millennia and hundreds of thousands of years. This mini-ice age prediction would be part of that.

What do you mean by "the human race has survived it before and we'll survive it again?

3 inches of snow on the ground causes Texans to go into a panic. I can’t imagine how they’d survive an ice age.
    I'm not one of those Texans

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Your analogy is lacking context and clarity; it causes more questions to pop up in my head and it conveyed no additional information. I thought we were getting somewhere but after you telling me that [0,1) is not an interval, I don't think you have any real information i can learn.
    He never did.
    He said that D1 = [F(x), G(x)) is not an interval if F(x) and G(x) denote functions.
    What you think of would be more like: D1(x=1) with D1(x) := [F(x), G(x)); F(x) := Ln(x), G(x) := 1 + x^2
    Because that is the interval D1(x=1) = [0,1)

What you do with your programming notation is defining a function (D1) takes an 'x' that returns intervals.
    You then specify 'x' and thus you get an interval.
    (Sorry for my bad English, it was some time since I looked up English notation and terms for such basic mathematical terms. And yes, mathematical notation does vary (slightly) by language.)

Human race survived it before and we’ll survive it again. Also, I’m not really sure this is caused by climate change. Isn’t it just a cycle that happens regardless?
    Yes, this "mini ice age" a bit of a misnomer.
    The sun has activity cycles. Those happen regardless of what we do on earth (at this point in time).
    We have known this for a long time and accounted for it in our forecasts.
    According to the article this one will slow the warming process we cause slightly for approximately three decades, thus giving us some extra time if we use it correctly.
    On the other hand, if we disregard the temporary nature of the cause of this effect and use the effect itself as an excuse to abandon our effords then we will be in for it three decades later when the sun resumes its full activity.

D1 = [F(x), G(x))

F(x) = LN(X)
    G(x) = X^2 + 1
    let x = 1;

F(1) = 0;
    G(1) = 1 + 1 = 2;

D1 = [0, 1)

You are implying we can't have this?
    Are you implying that X cannot be the magnitude of a vector?
    That's not an interval containing functions, since F(x) and G(x) are numbers for any given value of x. What you're trying to describe there seems more like you have a function sending x to the set of intervals, and for each x you have an associated interval. But that's really different from what's being written down in English.

As convenient as it is, denoting a function by F(x) has, in my experience teaching, led to a surprising amount of conceptual confusion.

Edit: Also, I should have read the last page before posting this since someone else already mentioned it.

So 0 to 0.999(repeating) is not an interval??????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Is there a reason you wrote .999(repeating) instead of 1? I sort of just jumped into this because math is interesting to me, but I might have missed something in the last few pages.
    Last edited by Garnier Fructis; 2018-01-05 at 12:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I don't understand why it would take a PhD hours to address a single misconception of mine.
    It's sort of ironic, but sometimes it ends up being harder to understand other peoples' confusion if you yourself understand something. Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to figure out what a student is misunderstanding in office hours.

I've also sat in lectures where I see a fellow student ask something, and the professor doesn't correctly understand the question even after a few iterations. Typically because the professor is trying to find some high level misunderstanding, whereas the question is usually about something relatively basic.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Thank you. What is the proper way to write an interval? I could of sworn [0,1) is an interval.
    Well I think that is the American way to write it.
    1 to 0 or [0,1) is an interval, F(x) to G(x) or [F(x), G(x)) is not an interval, because its elements aren't an ordered set.
    Instead, for certain F(x) and G(x), D1: x-> [F(x), G(x)) is a function of x that returns an interval.

The difference between programming notation and mathematical notation is the amount of leeway it grants you.
    The underlying mechanics aren't the same even if the notations might look the same on the surface.
    In this case your interpreter didn't care that what you call the 'interval' D1 is really a function D1(x) that returns intervals for given 'x'.
    The moment you you call "let x = 1" your program technically replaces all those temporary fuctions you declared with their return values (which in case of the function D1 is an interval which you call D1, too). Your program does not care that you used the name D1 first for a function and then used it for an interval, it will just happily overwrite its own memory and forget all about the past. But in mathematics you have to keep them seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    RAGE!!!!! Sorry, most climate deniers open with "innocent" questions and then jump into fact-denial. My bad.

From what I know, and most of that is information from @Endus, we're already seeing dramatic human caused climate change weather. And that's going back millennia and hundreds of thousands of years. This mini-ice age prediction would be part of that.

What do you mean by "the human race has survived it before and we'll survive it again?
    Pardon me for the interruption, but I love your icon. Epic.

I also agree with you about the "innocent" questions, they're usually baited.

BTW further up above, D1 is not a function, D1 is an interval constructed from F(X) as the starting point and G(X) as the end point. D1 contains the range of expected values.
    The way you defined it in your first line "D1 = [F(x), G(x))" it is a function of x--at least that is how you later use it.
    It must be an function returning intervals and not an interval of functions, because there is no such thing as an interval of functions.
    After you call "let x = 1" you recast it as an interval "D1 = [F(x=1), G(x=1)) = [0, 1)".

I don't understand why it would take a PhD hours to address a single misconception of mine.
    It would take that long to straighten out all your notations and make sure you use all the same definitions so we can understand each other proberly.
    (Please note that I do not wish to imply that the definitons you use must be without merit, just that we must agree on one set so we can communicate.)
    Last edited by Noradin; 2018-01-05 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post

Climate change isn't a threat to the earth, climate change is a threat to us.
    This is something people really need to realize
    I don't mind them staying dumb though. The faster some apocalypse clears up the Earth from the human race, the better.

You made this assumption implicitly. If you thought that I fully agree with climate change and only have a question about vector fields, why did your analogies assume that I was ignorant about reality and was blinded by my own assumptions?

It is hard for me to understand why someone would both think that I am with most of climate science, but also respond so viscerally.
    You assumed that I made that assumption.
    I was just addressing the problems with your question, because I was interested in what you wanted to ask and for understanding your question I need to understand where you are coming from.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2018-01-05 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question is, do they have a map of the places that'll be hit the worst? Because I will actively move to the least affected zones so I don't freeze my tiddies off in my old age xD

PC: (Case) Phanteks - Eclipse P300, (Power Supply) Apevia - 750W ATX, (Vid) MSI - Radeon RX 580, (HD) Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB, (SSD) Transcend - MTS600
    (RAM) Corsair - 8GB x2, (Motherboard) ASRock - AB350, (CPU) AMD - Ryzen 5 1400, (OS) W10

----------------
    WoW player, GW2 Dabbler and the Girl Who Went Chasing Owls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverWolf26 View Post
    Here, let me help you understand.

And that ladies and gentleman is why we had to start calling it "climate change" instead.

But F(X) and G(X) are functions that receive X as an input and spits out a value for each X entered. Do i not understand what a function is maybe? I am open to that but that would mean all of my algebra and calculus classes were wrong.
    It's a notation thing. The function is actually just F, and F(X) is the number that F assigns to X. But this is a really tedious distinction to keep making, so most everyone just cuts corners and says that F(X) is the function. Your classes weren't wrong.

It's like a method in programming languages. The method is the instructions. But when you write 'do_the_thing(apples)', what you're getting is the output that 'do_the_thing' assigns to 'apples'. But the method itself is just 'do_the_thing'.

This can lead to all sorts of confusion though, like thinking of something as a number when it should be a function and vice versa. Even having done math for so long, sometimes I see an expression and think to myself "wait, why is there a function in there?" and I have to remind myself that the thing in the expression is actually a number.

Unless i am mistaken, [0,1) means from 0 (inclusive) to 1 (exclusive). 0.9 repeating is the exact same as 1, but i don't know how to notate 1 minus and infinitely small value. I use math a lot but i am far from a mathematician.
    If you are asking how to say "[0,1)" in words then you would simply use more words instead of replacing the numbers with something else: "0 to but excluding 1" I'd guess. The language I learned mathematics in just told you first what kind of interval, then its endpoints.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    From the article:
    Although Zharkova claimed 97 percent accuracy for the model that corresponds to previous mini ice ages, she did warn that her model could not be used as proof of a future mini ice age, partly because of global warming.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    From the article:
    What I find funny is "The Model" part.

It's just a fucking Statist claiming everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    It's a notation thing. The function is actually just F, and F(X) is the number that F assigns to X. But this is a really tedious distinction to keep making, so most everyone just cuts corners and says that F(X) is the function. Your classes weren't wrong.

It's like a method in programming languages. The method is the instructions. But when you write 'do_the_thing(apples)', what you're getting is the output that 'do_the_thing' assigns to 'apples'. But the method itself is just 'do_the_thing'.

This can lead to all sorts of confusion though, like thinking of something as a number when it should be a function and vice versa. Even having done math for so long, sometimes I see an expression and think to myself "wait, why is there a function in there?" and I have to remind myself that the thing in the expression is actually a number.
    The problem is when you mix those and call one D1 but the others F(x) and G(x) in the same equation.