Thread: New 1070 TI

New 1070 TI

Just got my new 1070 TI in today. Also have 16gb of DDR3 and an I7-4770. I got a 144 htz monitor for christmas.

Playing overwatch I sit at about 80 fps. In wow, the max I can see is 65 ish. Wow won't let me use 144 htz unless im in fullscreen, otherwise it changes to 60 htz and turns gray so I can't adjust it. That is using the blizzard recommended settings, not the nvidia optimized settings. I am still noticing some stutter, not tearing, but it only seems to be when I first start moving after sitting for a minute.

Any suggestions on settings, how to get windowed-borderless in wow, and why I can't get to 144 fps?

WoW isnt a GPU bound game and you wont get high frames above 100hz, be happy with 60hz like all other ppl too.
    If your I7 is unlocked you can overclock it to get a few more FPS.
    Since you still run DDR 3 and a 4770 the 80 FPS in Overwatch are ok on 1440p but could be higher.
    Maybe swipe all of your old display drivers with a tool first or set up a fresh windows.

Does the stutters only happen in wow ?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have it set up in the nvidia control panel to run windows at 144hz? Control panel -> display settings -> advanced settings -> something something

Fullscreen uses the game settings, windowed mode uses windows settings.

I had a problem similar to this with my Freesync setup where, even though it said 60fps, it ran janky as hell but I fixed it by DDUing the drivers and installing the latest set. Might want to look in to monitor drivers too.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your situation sounds eerily similar to mine. Try some of the things I mentioned trying in this thread, and maybe the same fix will work for you if it's the same issue: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...be-Twitch-etc)

So, I was going to upload a picture of my graphics settings for wow but apparently you can't unless it's a link. If I drop settings down to 2 I can get 144 fps. At 7 im at 80 fps flying in azuna sitting there. A 1070 TI should easily be able to handle wow with descent settings. Unplugging my second monitor did nothing to frame rate. Nvidia control panel is set at 144 htz. No difference between fullscreen and fullscreen windowed. Idk how to see fps when watching youtube or anything with a browser. Overwatch runs at 150 fps on basically ultra settings. I feel like OW is more graphics intensive than wow.

You're not getting the message. WoW is overwhelmingly CPU-bound. You could have a 1050ti (that's like 45% of 1070Ti performance at best) and results would be close.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2018-01-05 at 10:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OhBoyKittens View Post
    So, I was going to upload a picture of my graphics settings for wow but apparently you can't unless it's a link. If I drop settings down to 2 I can get 144 fps. At 7 im at 80 fps flying in azuna sitting there. A 1070 TI should easily be able to handle wow with descent settings. Unplugging my second monitor did nothing to frame rate. Nvidia control panel is set at 144 htz. No difference between fullscreen and fullscreen windowed. Idk how to see fps when watching youtube or anything with a browser. Overwatch runs at 150 fps on basically ultra settings. I feel like OW is more graphics intensive than wow.
    Again, WoW is not held back by GPU's, it's CPU bound.
    Link settings or we can't help you

Last edited by OhBoyKittens; 2018-01-05 at 10:24 AM.

Did you try going through Geforce Experience to set your settings? It's not necessarily the best, but on my system (4790k, 16GB DDR3-2400, GTX 1070, 1080p @ 144hz) I see 80-144fps depending on where I am and what I am doing.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Please try moving to imgur.com, it is a better site all around than Photobucket.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Just got my new 1070 TI in today. Also have 16gb of DDR3 and an I7-4770. I got a 144 htz monitor for christmas.

Playing overwatch I sit at about 80 fps. In wow, the max I can see is 65 ish. Wow won't let me use 144 htz unless im in fullscreen, otherwise it changes to 60 htz and turns gray so I can't adjust it. That is using the blizzard recommended settings, not the nvidia optimized settings. I am still noticing some stutter, not tearing, but it only seems to be when I first start moving after sitting for a minute.

Any suggestions on settings, how to get windowed-borderless in wow, and why I can't get to 144 fps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arui View Post
    Did you try going through Geforce Experience to set your settings? It's not necessarily the best, but on my system (4790k, 16GB DDR3-2400, GTX 1070, 1080p @ 144hz) I see 80-144fps depending on where I am and what I am doing.
    What is your resolution? Because I see similar performance to Arui with a i7-4770k and a GTX770 @ 1080p
    WoW is pretty much a pure CPU game. I don't mean to be rude, but do you actually have an i5 maybe? Unless you are playing 1440p + I can't see why you'd be that low.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    What is your resolution? Because I see similar performance to Arui with a i7-4770k and a GTX770 @ 1080p
    WoW is pretty much a pure CPU game. I don't mean to be rude, but do you actually have an i5 maybe? Unless you are playing 1440p + I can't see why you'd be that low.
    They clearly have i7s...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    They clearly have i7s...
    Even if they did have an i5, the diffrence between an i5 and an i7 is that the i7 has hyperthreading and a larger L3 cache. Neither of those have any impact on WoW. If anything, the overhead that comes along with Hyperthreading makes the i7 worse in applications that don't make use of it, but this is negligible and really only noticeable in benchmarks and even then likely within margin of error.

In short, if anything, even if it is marginal and immeasurable, an i5 is actually better for WoW since WoW does not make use of Hyperthreading.

Now, @OP, doesn't matter what GPU you get. A 1050ti will run WoW pretty much the same as a 1080ti because it's more CPU dependent than anything. It's not even that really, it's that it's an old engine originally for Warcraft 3 that was heavily modified to work for an MMO that just doesn't make proper use of modern CPUs. It's seriously just the best the game is going to run. No amount of throwing money at it will make your system run it better unless you just donate billions to Blizzard for them to make a new engine from the ground up.

Oh, also, when that setting turns grey, it's not because you can't adjust it, it's because it's being handled by Windows. It displays the default, which is 60, but it's actually doing 144 if that is what windows is set to.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    You're not getting the message. WoW is overwhelmingly CPU-bound. You could have a 1050ti (that's like 45% of 1070Ti performance at best) and results would be close.
    Thats not true when we are talking about 1440p. I lost about 20 FPS on average going from 1080p to 1440p (acer predator xb271hu) in wow on settings 7. The same with GW2.

So when we are talking about 1440p, you do need a bigger GFX card. On 1080p it doesn't really matter
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Even if they did have an i5, the diffrence between an i5 and an i7 is that the i7 has hyperthreading and a larger L3 cache. Neither of those have any impact on WoW. If anything, the overhead that comes along with Hyperthreading makes the i7 worse in applications that don't make use of it, but this is negligible and really only noticeable in benchmarks and even then likely within margin of error.

In short, if anything, even if it is marginal and immeasurable, an i5 is actually better for WoW since WoW does not make use of Hyperthreading.

Now, @OP, doesn't matter what GPU you get. A 1050ti will run WoW pretty much the same as a 1080ti because it's more CPU dependent than anything. It's not even that really, it's that it's an old engine originally for Warcraft 3 that was heavily modified to work for an MMO that just doesn't make proper use of modern CPUs. It's seriously just the best the game is going to run. No amount of throwing money at it will make your system run it better unless you just donate billions to Blizzard for them to make a new engine from the ground up.

Oh, also, when that setting turns grey, it's not because you can't adjust it, it's because it's being handled by Windows. It displays the default, which is 60, but it's actually doing 144 if that is what windows is set to.
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Thats not true when we are talking about 1440p. I lost about 20 FPS on average going from 1080p to 1440p (acer predator xb271hu) in wow on settings 7. The same with GW2.

So when we are talking about 1440p, you do need a bigger GFX card. On 1080p it doesn't really matter
    It's been a while, but the last i7 to i5 side by side for WoW I saw, I believe the i7 has a slight lead. The difference in resolution, while that would mainly be on the gfx, will also effect cpu performance.

i5 actually does have a slight loss to i7 at 1080p. But as I was checking I realized I had a 6700k, I think I got confused when I was about to pull the trigger on a slight upgrade a year ago I was going to grab a 4770k but the 6700k popped on sale right before that. When I read the OP, I said "yeah I have a 4770k."

It's been a while, but the last i7 to i5 side by side for WoW I saw, I believe the i7 has a slight lead. The difference in resolution, while that would mainly be on the gfx, will also effect cpu performance.

i5 actually does have a slight loss to i7 at 1080p. But as I was checking I realized I had a 6700k, I think I got confused when I was about to pull the trigger on a slight upgrade a year ago I was going to grab a 4770k but the 6700k popped on sale right before that. When I read the OP, I said "yeah I have a 4770k."
    Usually, benchmarks are done at stock clocks and that;s the other difference I left out between i5 and i7. The i7s will come with a higher stock clock. If it's a K-Series chip though, I assume OCing and once you throw OCing in to the mix, it muddles things up. At the same clock speeds though, they should be about even, with a very slight immeasurable lead going to the i5.

To illustrate that effect:
    https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/62

As you can see, yes, the i7-3770k just barely outperforms it's i5 counterpart, but it's also clock .1 higher. That's an ~3% increase in clock speed and a about the same % increase in performance. The only difference in performance is from the higher clock speed, which you can easily OC the i5 by .1 and get the same results. So yeah, for applications such as WoW that do not use HT and do not make use of the L3 Cache, the difference between a K-Series i5 and i7 that you OC yourself is really up to silicon lottery.

so many responses! It's definitely an i7-4770. The new 144htz monitor is wqhd or 2560x1440 but the nvidia gforce experience whatever wanted to run at like 3500xsomething "for better resolution." I figured out if I stand like 10 yards ish from a building/ rock cluster it shoots up to 144 which is what i capped it at. I assume the discrepancy is if youre flying in azuna and sitting in the air it has to process so much more. View settings being 7, 9, 7 like in the picture. I understand what you all are saying about being CPU vs GPU intensive but going from 50 ish in dalaran to 30 ish when I first start moving is kinda a bummer. I tried fighting on the road in azuna and I was getting between 80 and 100 fps.

I guess I'll change my resolution back to the nvidia recommended 3500xsomething and pushing 1 or 2 settings back to where I wanted them and wait 4 years until It's time to buy a whole new rig lol.

ps: I didn't notice any difference when running dual monitor with the older monitor being 60htz. That being said the only reference I have is the main monitors fps counter in wow and overwatch.

going from 50 ish in dalaran to 30 ish when I first start moving is kinda a bummer. I tried fighting on the road in azuna and I was getting between 80 and 100 fps.

ps: I didn't notice any difference when running dual monitor with the older monitor being 60htz. That being said the only reference I have is the main monitors fps counter in wow and overwatch.
    That's totally normal. What happens when you start moving is the CPU has to make a whole bunch of draw calls, thousands of them, to send to the GPU who is basically finishes it as soon as it gets it and is waiting for the CPU to send the next one. When you are not moving, not a lot of draw calls are being made. As soon as you start though, the number skyrockets, so you get less FPS because the CPU takes so long to process them, since they must be processed serially it's even worse.

And yeah, a second monitor has about zero impact.