... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    You mean this?
    No - I mean some of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    Are you using a Z87 mobo?
    Nah - X99.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    I don't get this part. The information I have seen says that all Intel CPU's made in the last 10 odd years are effected. Do you have a site that lists excluded CPU's?
    I'm not sure there is a list, I just based this off my friends' and mine anectodal evidence. We ran the app to see if we're vulnerable and none of us were affected - we all used the 4xxx gen cpus. A friend with a 6700Q on the other hand was vulnerable, same for a friend with an 8700K.

As you can see, I have no updates installed.

//EDIT: More benchmarks.

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/soft...t_assessment/2

Also, another interesting benchmark showing minor differences in the pre vs post insider preview patch comparison:

Last edited by mauserr; 2018-01-05 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    I'm not sure there is a list, I just based this off my friends' and mine anectodal evidence. We ran the app to see if we're vulnerable and none of us were affected - we all used the 4xxx gen cpus. A friend with a 6700Q on the other hand was vulnerable, same for a friend with an 8700K.
    Can you test with this Microsoft script and tell us what it says?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/...erabilities-in

Is this is reliable? Update KB4056892 installed yesterday, and i doubt ASUS will release any firmware/bios update for older motherboards.. (Asus P8Z68-V LX, Z68)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    No - I mean some of these:

Nah - X99.
    Looks like bloatware to me.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Nah - X99.
    Oh hi, I'm on an ASUS X99 too.

X99 is an enthusiast platform, surely you can be a good enthusiast and do this crap in BIOS?

As far as the stuff to keep the temps down, why do you need AISuite for that? Is that like ASUS' version of MSI Afterburner or eVGA Precision XOC?

Seems really crummy that something like AISuite would stop working lol. Like... why would it stop working? Why do you need it so bad when there's other workarounds that can teach you how to do these things on other motherboard brands, to boot?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    No, it's not, it won't. Tests are there already, and if a monstrous CPU hog such as Assassin's Creed: Origins sees no drop, there most likely won't be a drop at all. Non server related tasks are also at almost no difference pre vs post patch whatsoever. The entire performance loss is overhyped. Things might look different on servers where there's lots of syscalls and shit, but the average customer using a regular OS will notice no performance drop whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qZksorJAuY
    https://www.computerbase.de/2018-01/...erheitsluecke/

Also:

Not all Intel CPUs are affected. I didn't patch shit, still on build 1703 comp. 16299.125 (insider preview with exploit patch is labeled 17063).
    Aren't you guys confusing the previous bug something about intel ME that only some systems are vulnerable with the Chipset flaws that affects all Chips from the last X years making them vulnerable to Specter strains and to Meltdown viruses?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Then you'd be wrong - just drivers for various components.

X99 is an enthusiast platform,
    Not an enthusiast, don't have the time, expertise or knowledge to take care of all that crap.

As far as the stuff to keep the temps down, why do you need AISuite for that?
    Because I set the thing in an unconventional way.

Seems really crummy that something like AISuite would stop working lol. Like... why would it stop working?
    The change in the bug fix is a pretty dramatic change to the way user mode apps accesses the kernel.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Can you test with this Microsoft script and tell us what it says?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/...erabilities-in
    I can't install the module, I might be retarded. I don't have the January 2018 update installed, might that be an issue? I've never used PowerShell before, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3n7hJ2_qGY

Quote Originally Posted by Magnosh View Post
    Aren't you guys confusing the previous bug something about intel ME that only some systems are vulnerable with the Chipset flaws that affects all Chips from the last X years making them vulnerable to Specter strains and to Meltdown viruses?
    Actually, that might be quite possible. I'll report back once I get that Microsoft PowerShell script to work.
    @Magnosh
    Last edited by mauserr; 2018-01-05 at 08:26 PM.

SA-00086 tool is related to intel ME exploit, not meltdown. My Insider (build 1709) install received KB4056892 / Meltdown fix yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    SA-00086 tool is related to intel ME exploit, not meltdown. My Insider (build 1709) install received KB4056892 / Meltdown fix yesterday.
    And which CPU do you have and how's the performance in wow after the meltdown fix?

Oh hi, I'm on an ASUS X99 too.

X99 is an enthusiast platform, surely you can be a good enthusiast and do this crap in BIOS?
    No, it is a workstation platform.

As far as the stuff to keep the temps down, why do you need AISuite for that? Is that like ASUS' version of MSI Afterburner or eVGA Precision XOC?

Seems really crummy that something like AISuite would stop working lol. Like... why would it stop working? Why do you need it so bad when there's other workarounds that can teach you how to do these things on other motherboard brands, to boot?
    Almost all other Motherboard brands have a similar piece of software.

Gigabyte certainly does.

its convenient to simply click one button and get all my drivers and firmware updated - you know, like a civilized modern OS.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDurr View Post
    #gooptane Shave off another half second of waiting at the instance loading so i can get to waiting for the other guy with the spinning hard drive to load into the instance 10sec later
    I have a 960 nvme and I always load before everyone else in dungeons and raids. It's more like a few seconds most of the time or longer for everyone else to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnosh View Post
    And which CPU do you have and how's the performance in wow after the meltdown fix?
    I haven't tested on my 4690K. I have another system with 2600K@4.7GHz, I'll hold from updating that one for now, maybe I'll have some time to test.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I understand this.

How can my perfectly working chip go from working fine now to working 30% slower? I can't grasp how something can just "happen" to every processor in the world at the same time.., what is this a bad James Bond plot?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post

How can my perfectly working chip go from working fine now to working 30% slower? I can't grasp how something can just "happen" to every processor in the world at the same time.., what is this a bad James Bond plot?
    Nothing has "happened" to them. It has been discovered that nearly all processors made over the last 10 years have an innate security flaw that potentially makes them vulnerable to specific types of malware. This flaw cannot be corrected, as it is an intrinsic part of the hardware. The solution was to release an update that alters the way the processor handles certain data, and this is what is causing the slowdown.

But the 30% figure is somwhat nonsense, at least for regular users. Most people won't notice a difference, but datacenters and certain types of workloads will see a slowdown of between 5% and 30%.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2018-01-06 at 01:39 AM.

All I know is after the update while I'm playing a game I'll have my fps drop down to 5-11 fps for about a minute or two and then jump back up to normal levels. Granted, may not be culprit, but a pretty big coincidence.

Good thing the Intel CEO processed "normal stock sales" to divest himself of everything except the bare minimum in November. Surely it had no connection to all this. Totally normal...or so they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Good thing the Intel CEO processed "normal stock sales" to divest himself of everything except the bare minimum in November. Surely it had no connection to all this. Totally normal...or so they claim.
    Given that hes sold stock evey 3 months, like clockwork, for the last 3 years, yeah, it doesnt have anything to do with this. His broker commented that the trades were registered months ago and were automated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Given that hes sold stock evey 3 months, like clockwork, for the last 3 years, yeah, it doesnt have anything to do with this. His broker commented that the trades were registered months ago and were automated.
    One could make the argument that Intel knew about Meltdown and Spectre in June 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post

There is a design flaw in all cpus that make them susceptible to some specific attacks that allow regular software to access stuff that shouldn't be possible, intel's being more afected by this than AMD due to its architecture.

There is no real ''fix'' for this besides removing all CPUS and making new ones based on a different architecture which is costly and might take a lot of time so Intel's solution is patching the problem via Software via OS update. The downside of patching instead of ''fixing'' is that because it affects the memory of the CPU it can make it slower on certain tasks.

The early sensationalism was pointing from between 5-30% performance hit because of how they patch the issue. What some people are claiming now after some benchmarks is that gaming and everyday use for the common guy is barely affected if affected at all, companies and people with servers and stuff alike are probably the more hit by this lower performance due to the tasks/load their CPU have to perform.

My guess is that some more patching is due to happen and we might only see the full extend of the performance hit in the next few weeks.