Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    Also when they fish out the ancients from the void between galaxies in Atlantis.
    Which episode is that? SG-1 or SG-Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Well we've seen shitty writing before (excluding prequels) "These blastpoints, too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise"
    And we would never see them hit anything ever again...

Note that the Stormtrooper isn't firing blindly, but carefully aiming at Leia in the middle of a fire fight.

Not only that, but as Leia said when they left the Death Star: "They let us go, it's the only explanation for the ease of our escape."

Which was confirmed by Tarkin's "You're sure the homing beacon is secured aboard their ship. You're taking an awful risk Vader, this had better work."

And, as well,essentially the extermination of nearly all of Red Squadron during the Death Star run.

Or when they managed to hit R2, a VERY tiny target on Luke's X-Wing, during the Death Star run.

Or the Snowtroopers who, while under heavy fire, managed to set up a cannong during the fight on Hoth.

Or when they exterminated all the Rebel Troops on Leia's transport ship at the beginning of A New Hope.

Or how the Imperials nearly won on Endor before the Ewoks, the natives of the land who also managed to get the jump on the Rebels earlier, turned the tide in favor of the Rebels.

Essentially, oit's like this: any time the Empire wanted them captured, the Stormtroopers missed. Any time the gloves came off and the Empire wanted them dead....well, look just how costly any engagement ith the Imperials came.

Out of the 12 members of Red Squadron during the battle of Yavin 4, only Luke and Wedge made it out alive.
    Last edited by Cradix; 2018-01-07 at 02:21 AM.

The people ripping on interstella know that the science in it was advised by Kip Thorne a noble prize winner in physics? You're not gonna get much better in a mainstream hollywood movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Which episode is that? SG-1 or SG-Atlantis?
    Stargate Atlantis. Ep 10 of season 3 I think? It was the first part of the mid-season double episode. They come across an ancient warship going at .9999 lightspeed because their hyperdrive failed. Only a short time has passed for them, but 10000 years have passed on the outside.

Black hole doesn't exist.

They effectively avoid it in Star Trek by using warp travel, it's not so much "fast travel" as it is folding space.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Black hole doesn't exist.
    We'll know for sure later this year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw.../#3aaf22573a16

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    The people ripping on interstella know that the science in it was advised by Kip Thorne a noble prize winner in physics? You're not gonna get much better in a mainstream hollywood movie.
    Random Joes with my little pony avatars in mmo champ clearly know more him, duh!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Well we've seen shitty writing before (excluding prequels) "These blastpoints, too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise"
    And we would never see them hit anything ever again...
    Unless! The force made them miss every damn shot, hu. Ever thought about that? :P
    You know, I never really understood the whole "Storm Troopers can't aim" thing. Is it any different than literally any other action movie where the bad guys shoot a shit ton of bullets at the good guys and never hit them? I have this theory that it is only because of the fact that storm troopers fire lasers that you can actually see fly through the air where as in the majority of other action movies, the baddies fire regular bullets that you cannot see so it is just more blatantly obvious that the troopers miss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    This topic was adressed in at least one episode in Stargate SG1 "A Matter of Time" where the SG-1 command was connected to a world near a black hole.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0709033/

Another funny episode where they deal with time issues is "Window of Opportunity". It's one of my favorites

Where is Carter when you need her?

Edit: Still can't believe we don't have a gnome engineer reference to Carter in WoW, .....
    If nothing else, Teal´c and O´Neill in 1920s golf dress was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    They effectively avoid it in Star Trek by using warp travel, it's not so much "fast travel" as it is folding space.
    Interesting read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Rather than exceeding the speed of light within a local reference frame, a spacecraft would traverse distances by contracting space in front of it and expanding space behind it, resulting in effective faster-than-light travel. Objects cannot accelerate to the speed of light within normal spacetime; instead, the Alcubierre drive shifts space around an object so that the object would arrive at its destination faster than light would in normal space without breaking any physical laws
    The Star Trek television series used the term "warp drive" to describe their method of faster-than-light travel. Neither the Alcubierre theory, nor anything similar, existed when the series was conceived, but Alcubierre stated in an email to William Shatner that his theory was directly inspired by the term used in the show[34] and references the "'warp drive' of science fiction" in his 1994 article.[35] The 1975 Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual suggests that the essential concept is the same as that later proposed by Alcubierre.[36]
    Also, the Alcubierre Drive doesn't violate General Relativity. This doesn't automatically mean it's physically possible, though.

go into space, time goes slow. go to earth again, time goes fast.

yea I know, I don't get it.
    hit & run posting lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    If nothing else, Teal´c and O´Neill in 1920s golf dress was worth it
    That episode makes me chuckle every time. I think it's the funniest of all of them

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It was used wrongly in "Interstellar" as well.
    No, it wasn't. It was in fact used as correctly as we currently know - it was part of the central plot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So I notice in most all space movies and shows time dilation is not a thing. I've only seen one episode of Star Trek voyager where time dilation was a thing. It really makes the shows unrealistic when the entire universe is on Earth time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
    Not really - time dilation would affect people in different areas - but for the most part, we're looking at either a ship-focused show where no one outside the ship matters. Or, we're seeing travel that circumvents relativity. Skip-drive, warp drive, etc. Those methods can ignore relativity because they ignore FTL. They bypass it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It would be impossible to land on a planet which had the circumstances depicted in the movie for multiple reasons. Disregarding this, dilation of the journey is completely ignored (somebody on IMDB calculated that 30k years would have passed on earth during that mission). Plus a few other faults i don't remember. It's an entertaining movie, but not very science-y at all.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ty.single.html

https://www.insidescience.org/news/w...ellars-science
    Following up, you couldn't be more wrong. Did you even see it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    I will have to check that out. Regardless, though they seemed to use time dilation right, they just didnt calculate right or chose not to for plot reasons.
    They might have ignored some of it for plot differences, but it was followed very closely. The script was reviewing, heavily, but a physicist. @XDuriounX really doesn't know what he's talking about, and might not have even seen the movie.

Time dilation was a key component of the plot. In about six different ways.

All I know is if the distance between the Earth and the Sun was a couple of inches, the nearest star would be 20 miles away.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.