Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Mercy Rezz Rework.

Okay so let's make this quick. Basically, Mercy is fucked up really bad. This is Blizzard's fault because resurrection is inherently impossible to balance in a game and Mercy not only had the only rezz, but also an instant-use AoE rezz. No shit this was going to be a problem. Now Blizzard is haphazardly trying to balance her rezz, attempting to make it "Good enough to use" without being "Overpowered", but still without being "So weak and nerfed it's useless".

Bottom line? She can't have a rezz. It's too hard to balance, so fuck it. Remove it.

What her ultimate should do is, when she uses Valkyrie, she becomes a floating invulnerable golden healy bitch who zooms around in the sky, healing people for a decent amount in a little AoE around her. The main draw of the ult, however, is that during it, she is able to lift up and carry a teammate. The teammate is also invulnerable during the duration of the ult/them being picked up by Mercy.

Why is this a better alternative to one of her rezz-based abilities (and whatever weird angle they're trying to go with with her current ult)? Because it makes Mercy reactive instead of responsive.

Before, Mercy just ulted whenever her team got wiped. This was very boring. Nothing was exciting about watching one team get wiped to an ult-push and then seeing Mercy rezz everyone. It also totally invalidated the enemy team's push. With my ult conception, now Mercy is forced to react to the enemy team instead of just responding to them. When she's on the front line with her DPS or tank and they hear IT'S HIGH NOON, now Mercy can pop her ult and invuln/carry off her teammate, instead of the McCree getting a kill only to have Mercy on-demand rezz his frag.

Edit: One issue with my idea is that if Mercy's teammate is also invuln while Mercy is carrying them, then instead of saving them from the frontline, Mercy can just ult them and sit there until the enemy's ults are used, then plop them back down in place. Or should could carry an ult-ready Reinhardt behind enemy lines so he can ult there (or maybe that'd be an intended use? I dunno).

A fix to this problem might be that the person she picks up is only invuln for 1-2 seconds. Enough time for her to fly them off, but she can't keep them in enemy targets or else they'll kill the teammate. She has to carry them off to safety.

Ok there you go thanks.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2018-01-06 at 09:49 PM.

Would the teammate being carried have any choice in the matter, or be able to perform any actions in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    The main draw of the ult, however, is that during it, she is able to lift up and carry a teammate. The teammate is also invulnerable during the duration of the ult/them being picked up by Mercy.
    No, just no. I don't want some other player having the ability to control where I go or anything without me agreeing to it. Games that do this drive me crazy.

Mercy picking up and carrying Roadhog would be a sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Would the teammate being carried have any choice in the matter,
    Probably not (yeah, yeah, grief-friendly and all, but then you could argue Mercy can already grief by rezzing a teammate to intentionally put them in a spot where they're just going to die again).

or be able to perform any actions in the meantime?
    No. They'd be unable to take action.

The major problem with Mercy is that her resurrect essentially invalidates half a team popping their ult, because whoever that got killed immediately comes back. However, there are other ults which invalidate ults, such as Mei freezing people, Zenyatta going immune, etc

So... why not make Mercy's rez - as it is now - her ult, and swap Valkyrie onto Q/E (whichever rez is now, I forget), and tone it down appropriately?
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

15+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I play mercy on 3k rating, I get killed like instantly when use valkyre, I guess I'm just bad
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

Probably not (yeah, yeah, grief-friendly and all, but then you could argue Mercy can already grief by rezzing a teammate to intentionally put them in a spot where they're just going to die again)
    I'm not sure the level of potential griefing is quite as high as the ability to dump players into a dangerous situation. It would be an interesting ability in organised play, but can't see it being popular in quick play.

Quote Originally Posted by salate View Post
    Whenever I play mercy on 3k rating, I get killed like instantly when use valkyre, I guess I'm just bad
    Mercy always dies when she exposes herself. No one wanted her ulting, or living after her ult (which is why they eventually made her invuln during the ult cast, so she didn't immediately die for casting it). Even with her ult just being a DPS/utility increase, people still focus her. This ult concept of mine actually addresses the problem of "Mercy ults, Mercy fucking dies".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    I'm not sure the level of potential griefing is quite as high as the ability to dump players into a dangerous situation. It would be an interesting ability in organised play, but can't see it being popular in quick play.
    There's already lots of ways you can grief people in Overwatch. If someone wants to grief, they're going to grief. Does it really matter if your Mercy is griefing by picking you up and fucking around with you during this ult concept; or if your Mercy is griefing by standing in spawn trashtalking and dicking around and not being helpful at all? I rarely consider "but won't people grief with this?" a valid argument against something, because unless they're able to grief with it in an extremely powerful way (like, say, the old bug in Dota 1 where a certain hero was able to crash the game for everyone by using a unique ability in a way it wasn't intended for), then I don't see it as having much of a real point. If Mercy is griefing then it doesn't matter what her ult is, she's griefing either way, know what I mean?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ability that controll, in this case carry another players is bad. What if a Mercy player gets mad on a teammate then picks him up and drop him off a cliff or in the middle of the enemy team? I can see trolls doing that..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Not sure what's problem with current Mercy.

If your players die due to ultimate, you should try to make sure that you don't. You use your ultimate and resurrect 2 players of a choice. I like that you have a choice who you can resurrect. It should never happen that your whole team gets wiped out by single ultimate. That's just bad team.
    That's why theres ultimates that synergies with eachother, Phara/Grav/Gengu/DF/Tracer, you know.

The problem is that a character essentially has a restore button for anything that happens.
    You flank and get a kill? Too bad
    You dive, get a good peel and escape? Too bad

The biggest problem Mercy has is that every single healer is worse than her, which is the biggest gripe people have with her. This is a huge problem when the support pool is already excruciatingly low.

Mercy is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Not sure what's problem with current Mercy.
    Other than the fact she's gotten changed yet again with Blizzard outright saying they're going to look into changing her again if these most recent changes aren't working, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    The biggest problem Mercy has is that every single healer is worse than her, which is the biggest gripe people have with her. This is a huge problem when the support pool is already excruciatingly low.
    Mercy has always been competitive with Lucio and other characters like Zenyatta have competed for 'best support pick'. Mercy is the best outright healer, but her problem is that she's the quintessential healer (much like Reinhardt is the quintessential tank and whose existence causes problems for all other tanks because of this) and Blizzard doesn't know what to do with her. Her rezz is what made her so powerful and without it being so powerful, she loses a lot of the utility that made her so good. Mercy might have high heals, but high heals mean nothing when your team gets triple ulted and stunned/instakilled.

The problem with Mercy and every other character, indeed the entire game itself, is ultimates. Ultimates shouldn't exist and at this point it's clear Blizzard is fully aware of this. But it's too late and now ultimate abilities are an inescapable Pandora's box.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Mercy is fine.
    A completely false statement. Are you oblivious to the fact she's constantly undergoing reworks, changes and is considered for future changes all the time?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Ability that controll, in this case carry another players is bad. What if a Mercy player gets mad on a teammate then picks him up and drop him off a cliff or in the middle of the enemy team? I can see trolls doing that..
    Refer to my previous post discussing griefing.

There's already lots of ways you can grief people in Overwatch. If someone wants to grief, they're going to grief. Does it really matter if your Mercy is griefing by picking you up and fucking around with you during this ult concept; or if your Mercy is griefing by standing in spawn trashtalking and dicking around and not being helpful at all? I rarely consider "but won't people grief with this?" a valid argument against something, because unless they're able to grief with it in an extremely powerful way (like, say, the old bug in Dota 1 where a certain hero was able to crash the game for everyone by using a unique ability in a way it wasn't intended for), then I don't see it as having much of a real point. If Mercy is griefing then it doesn't matter what her ult is, she's griefing either way, know what I mean?

Primary Fire: Hold to heal (make it much harder to aim the beam)
    Secondary Fire: Hitscan pistol with same rate of fire she has presently (smaller clip)
    Shift: Take flight for 2.5 seconds and reducing damage taken 25%, 5s CD
    Ability 1: Reduce damage taken by target by 50% for 5s and heal them for 50% of max HP over 5s, 30s CD
    Ultimate: Stuff staff into ground, yell "you shall not die" and create a defensive dome of light where everyone is healed for X amount over 10s and takes reduced damage, enemies are pushed from the barrier and cannot enter.
    Passive: Mercy's current passive is fine.
    This is my idea for a Mercy rework.

10+ Year Old Account
    resurrection is inherently impossible to balance in a game
    Stop saying this. People keep saying it, but repetition doesn't make it true.

The facts are that it was fine from Season 1 through 5. In fact, she was considered pretty poor as a hero up until she received the invulnerability buff in S6, when she was simply considered viable, if somewhat annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Stop saying this. People keep saying it, but repetition doesn't make it true.

The facts are that it was fine from Season 1 through 5. In fact, she was considered pretty poor as a hero up until she received the invulnerability buff in S6, when she was simply considered viable, if somewhat annoying.
    And saying that it isn't true doesn't make it not true.

The facts are that Mercy, from what I recall, was pretty high ranked. She was often tiered pretty high, normally with Lucio. She was never considered "poor", but people complained that when they used her ultimate, they would be immediately picked off (which was true).

If you have a real argument that isn't just whining that I said resurrection is very hard/impossible to correctly balance, let me hear it.

Problem: I think Mercy getting reworked is bad
    Solution: I rework Mercy

Really though Mercy, and rez are both fine. Mass rez was "bad", because to optimally use it you'd get ult, then hide in a corner nearby while the enemy team ults your whole team, then fly out and rez. As a Mercy player I thought this was mostly fine, but I can see how Blizzard saw this as bad for the game. As you basically AFKed until the enemy team wiped your team.
    They changed her to be invulnerable while using it because they had hoped players would stop only using rez in that way, and use it on maybe 2~ targets now that using it wasn't a death sentence for Mercy. Players didn't change the way they used it for the most part, and so now we have this current ult, and Single target rez as an ability.
    The problem isn't that rez is impossible to balance around or anything, in fact before the invulnerability MOST higher end players thought she was pretty bad. They just didn't like the kind of gameplay it incentivized.

The facts are that Mercy, from what I recall, was pretty high ranked. She was often tiered pretty high, normally with Lucio. She was never considered "poor", but people complained that when they used her ultimate, they would be immediately picked off (which was true).
    Look at any TOURNAMENT usage data. Now don't find some random competetive usage data, because that's all of competetive, specifically tournament. She's always middle of the pack, or bottom of the pack in usage.
    Last edited by Better; 2018-01-07 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    Problem: I think Mercy getting reworked is bad
    Solution: I rework Mercy
    If this is supposed to be an attempt at mocking me, then you're either bad at reading or bad at trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    And saying that it isn't true doesn't make it not true.

If you have a real argument that isn't just whining that I said resurrection is very hard/impossible to correctly balance, let me hear it.
    Sept 21 week before rework, Tier 4 (<5% usage): https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-0...kpocalypse-now

August 22. still Tier 4: https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-0...-fists-of-fury

April 19th, Tier 4: https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-0...rogue-squadron

March 7th Trash tier! https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2017-0...crisis-averted

You see, I do actually back my words up, check the fact, I don't just say things them because they come into my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    You see, I do actually back my words up, check the fact, I don't just say things them because they come into my head.
    Ah, right. I do recall her falling further down tier lists after Ana came out.

At any rate, this has nothing to do with the conversation concerning Mercy's ultimate. I mean, if anything, it only validates my argument because it proves Mercy is badly designed and balanced.

So like I said, present a real argument and drop the bitchy attitude or please stop posting here.