Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Wow, more assumptions on your part. I'm merely pointing out that you are also making assumptions, and unable to back up any of your claims.

- - - Updated - - -

It's literally in what I posted in the link, feel free to look.
    Yeah I just saw but like I said I go back to what I said. All those states together equal just about everyone above US. We are so spread out compared to the other countries it's hard to get everyone internet like these other countries while I am middle of the country sitting on 1 gig up and 1 gig down

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I'm sorry I misinterpreted you, but you did leave it up to me to try to guess what you were saying. Say what you meant then.
    OK. I will try to be as clear as possible. The Internet connectivity is provided by the carriers. The carriers don't care about the labels past the advertising, they care about the numeric speeds. I don't know whether the carriers are required to disclose the numeric speeds right in the ads or can just use labels. If they can just use labels, let's require them to use the numeric speeds to prevent misleading ads, this is something I agree with and can relate to (but this might already be done and it is largely irrelevant to the change - the carriers could easily promote their misleading labels if they wanted to, if there was no requirement). That's all. The labels are there as an aid to talk about the numbers. How many labels are there does not matter. The addition of a label does NOT make the carriers do anything at all.

I am more fascinated by the people here defending this and finding new excuses to support it, than the actual proposition to lower the standards, thus magically enabling "wider" broadband coverage.
    And what, distance is now an issue for fiber optics and companies with billions of free cash (partly paid by tax funds, iirc)? Very funny...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Are you thick?

Again, for the critically thinking impaired. No they don't have magically better infrastructure, the majority of their population lives on the same street.
    You're right, it isn't "magically better", They just have countries that, you know, actually spend money on improving their infrastructure.
    So just normal better.

Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    Yeah I just saw but like I said I go back to what I said. All those states together equal just about everyone above US. We are so spread out compared to the other countries it's hard to get everyone internet like these other countries while I am middle of the country sitting on 1 gig up and 1 gig down
    That's why I pointed to each specific state.

I get the geographical differences, and we have large stretches of rural areas. That's why I also added in the link about individual states, because that breaks it down into smaller areas.

When you check into an FCC/Net Neutrality thread and see the usual suspects defending absolutely batshit insane moves... you start to realize some people aren't worth communicating with.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Well grats to everyone that managed to turn the internet into a right vs left issue while we all bend over and take it from ISP's
    Only idiots are making this about right vs left. Literally everyone not working for/profiting from the ISPs should be united FOR Net Neutrality. Even your average American Republican is for NN, with 75% Republican, 89% Democrat, and 86% Independent. I don't think there has ever been an issue that was so uniting of every political group.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Face it, you are simply responding to any news regarding FCC negatively no matter how irrelevant they are. Because of your stance on net neutrality.
    I mean, unless you're a corporate douchebag making millions off the ISP industry, you're for Net Neutrality. If you're not either, then you're just ignorant. Seriously, do you WANT the ISPs to have more control over what we do with our data and everything? The same companies that tack on hidden fees and throttle you for no good reason? The same companies that also seem to keep winning the "worst company awards" for multiple years running?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    The wireless companies don't owe you a set speed. That's not how the free market works. If you want a better service, pay more money. It works like that in every other industry. Stop crying about it already.
    This kind of thinking is so gross

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    This kind of thinking is so gross
    And completely ridiculous.

The power company doesn't owe you a set amount of electricity. That's not how the free market works. If you want better service, pay more money.

The water company doesn't owe you a set amount of clean water. That's not how the free market works. If you want better service, pay more money.

Oh wait, electric and water companies are actually required to provide reasonable service at reasonable rates, because they're the basic building blocks of civilization and we don't exactly want our neighbors living in disgusting squalor. In fact, we even provide assistance for people that can't afford these things.

Now, this is where the mentally defunct show up to say the internet isn't a necessity or something else ridiculous - but if you were to challenge them to disconnect every device they own from the internet, and not use anyone else's device to connect to the internet, and then attempt to A) make a living B) even live in modern society C) quit their existing job and attempt to find a new job D) actually, an endless list of simple tasks, they'd either go silent or run circles around the argument to avoid admitting that it's not actually possible to live in modern America without the internet, because we've relegated virtually every process to require internet access either in entirety or at important junctures in the pipeline.
    Last edited by Grapemask; 2018-01-07 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    just like the legions of retards voted trump in.
    Trump lost the popular vote. Or as you state "the legions of retards".
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beefbarrier View Post
    whats going to change is the fact that they will have less work to do when they finally decide to make good on their promise of giving everybody highspeed internet. so yea, their paycheck is gonna be the same as before, but theyre only gonna be doing half the amount of work as was originally intended
    Sounds "great".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    3 more years and this will all be over.
    Anything 2020?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    How did they supposedly do that, though?
    I believe Mister Metokur summarized the reasoning better than I could. But since a major part of Left-Wing activism is trying to no-platform any voice that isn't conforming to their own political views and that seems to be an accepted practice; Righties lost interest in solidarity over Net Neutrality. What is the point of defending Net Neutrality if there really isn't for practical purposes a free and open internet for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Why? Because you can't bully a company into providing a service you aren't willing to pay for? You're owed nothing.
    No because we have about 4 ISP companies in the U.S. who have shown they will not compete with each and in fact thrive on it so they can charge high prices on low quality internet. The U.S. has some of the most expensive and slowest internet in the 1st world. Libertarian dream worlds of the free market will fix all our problems is bullshit when there are lock steel companies in place that will not compete with each other. The hurdles for a new company to even try and show up are already immense just trying to pay for infrastructure top that off with these 4 ISP companies bullying them out with money so that no one steps in on their gravy train. The idea that multi billion dollar corporations who have already shown that they do not care about people and look to screw them constantly will not do it is lunacy.

Why? Because you can't bully a company into providing a service you aren't willing to pay for? You're owed nothing.
    Because even the people that made the internet know this is a bad idea and don't want it to happen for a range of issues and here you are saying "free market brooo" you think Comcast invented the internet and it's shareholders deserve to milk people dry? You know tax payers paid for most of the installation too. So the ISPs can literally run you dry off the hard work of others and here you are sproutin free market nonsense to sped up the monopoly process

Quote Originally Posted by pogchamp View Post
    it already is happening, so at this point... Fuck it. Give the rock an ak and a country to run and let's start watering the crops with gatorade, it has electrolytes.
    get out! Batin'
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    And completely ridiculous.

The power company doesn't owe you a set amount of electricity. That's not how the free market works. If you want better service, pay more money.

The water company doesn't owe you a set amount of clean water. That's not how the free market works. If you want better service, pay more money.

Oh wait, electric and water companies are actually required to provide reasonable service at reasonable rates, because they're the basic building blocks of civilization and we don't exactly want our neighbors living in disgusting squalor. In fact, we even provide assistance for people that can't afford these things.

Now, this is where the mentally defunct show up to say the internet isn't a necessity or something else ridiculous - but if you were to challenge them to disconnect every device they own from the internet, and not use anyone else's device to connect to the internet, and then attempt to A) make a living B) even live in modern society C) quit their existing job and attempt to find a new job D) actually, an endless list of simple tasks, they'd either go silent or run circles around the argument to avoid admitting that it's not actually possible to live in modern America without the internet, because we've relegated virtually every process to require internet access either in entirety or at important junctures in the pipeline.
    Well said. Internet should be classed as a utility like water or power for the reasons mentioned and others. Like I thought innovation was a good thing I don't know why we need to go backwards on this stuff

So, your proposition for that new company is to mandate they provide a certain level of service they might not even be able to reasonably accommodate right out the gate and this is somehow supposed to increase competition?

Cell phones should be classified a utility, too.
    What new companies? They cant start because the likes of AT&T, comcast lobby them out of the game before they can even start

And about cellphones being a utility, They nearly are, if you dont have one and you are looking for work, then work and income sorts you out with one so you can keep in contact with prospective employers. Next?

I wasn't being serious about the cell phones, I was mocking you. Anything else you'd just like to tax people more to give away for free to people too lazy to earn it for themselves?
    Ah so you're just baiting. I knew I shouldnt have taken you seriously judging by your answers but cheers for confirming it. Have fun paying more for slower internet.

And grats for not realizing a shitty $50 phone is a lot cheaper than someone potentially being on the benefit for weeks and weeks or months of unemployment looking for work. Logic is hard I know. easier to just call people lazy

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    At least president Johnson would have more charm and charisma then what it currently has. Think of Dwayne as the poor mans Obama
    'At least he would have two qualities which have nothing to do with competence.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?