Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do adults still can't take animation seriously unless they are comedic?

It has been said this song sounds like a Disney song which gave me an idea.

How would you feel if Disney or Cartoon Network went what the Hell and tried to make an direct to video PG-13 level epic fantasy cartoon filled with tragedy, heroism, romance, and politics with the goal of making Western animation's equivalent of LOTR or Game of Thrones?

Would that be a bad idea? Would a more lighthearted Final Fantasy like story be better suited for this setting and medium?

Are adults ready for something like this? Or should adult animation be reserved for comedy?

Would a sci fi space setting be a better setting?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do adults still can't take animation seriously unless they are comedic?
    What are you talking about? Adults do take animation seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

Deleted
    There is plenty of good quality adult cartoons out there.

Even though animation is more expensive then cartoon its still more down to storytelling then budget on these things. Cartoon network is for kids and they cant write a proper interesting story to save their life.

Disney is great at storytelling but mostly directed towards children aswell.

Hire JK rowling, mr. King and Dan Brown if you want to blow some money and make an interesting adult animation series

I guess you missed all the 80s, 90s adult themed hand drawn animation period with work like vampire hunter d and ninja scroll

10+ Year Old Account
    There's lots of "adult" animation out there. Lots of it is short film. I could recommend any number of animated shorts.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    Some do but mostly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    It has been said this song sounds like a Disney song which gave me an idea.

How would you feel if Disney or Cartoon Network went what the Hell and tried to make an direct to video PG-13 level epic fantasy cartoon filled with tragedy, heroism, romance, and politics with the goal of making Western animation's equivalent of LOTR or Game of Thrones?

Would that be a bad idea? Would a more lighthearted Final Fantasy like story be better suited for this setting and medium?

Are adults ready for something like this? Or should adult animation be reserved for comedy?

Would a sci fi space setting be a better setting?
    Knights of Sidonia has that feeling of "nobody is safe and anyone can die in 2 frames", that reminds me ( never watched it ) of what I've heard about GoT. The story is decent, buuut the animation itself is lacking. I liked it for the space combat and story. There are a few animes that I would put in the top 5 best things I've ever watched. Don't care what others think.

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of adult animated films, like "Waltz with Bashir" for example. It's just a matter of perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Even though animation is more expensive then cartoon its still more down to storytelling then budget on these things.
    What lol? Do you mean to say "Even though 3D animation is more expensive than cartoon ((I assume you must mean 2D animation))"? Because that's not correct. 3D animation is much cheaper than only the lowest forms of 2D animation.

I take animation such as Disney classics for example, extremely seriously and find them entertaining and thematically stimulating on many levels. I don't take anime seriously though.

Leave it to soulless people obsessed with appearances to look down on and disparage animated features for being "only for kids". They make them enjoyable for everyone, if you'll just get over your need to appear "grownup".
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2018-01-07 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbleach View Post
    Knights of Sidonia has that feeling of "nobody is safe and anyone can die in 2 frames", that reminds me ( never watched it ) of what I've heard about GoT. The story is decent, buuut the animation itself is lacking. I liked it for the space combat and story. There are a few animes that I would put in the top 5 best things I've ever watched. Don't care what others think.
    It looks sick!

Would you recommend the manga it is based on? I have never read manga before!
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2018-01-07 at 11:09 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    What lol? Do you mean to say "Even though 3D animation is more expensive than cartoon ((I assume you must mean 2D animation))"? Because that's not correct. 3D animation is much cheaper than only the lowest forms of 2D animation.
    Your presumption is wrong.

I am talking animation vs drawing.

Is this the point i am meant to laugh in real life at you and make some assumption based on poor judgement?

- - - Updated - - -

It looks sick!]
    Sadly, imo, the story wasnt all that great.

But thats just down to my subjective opinion i guess

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Sounds like the @OP needs to get out and experience the world a bit more.

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALX054x3K_E It will only take a few minutes to pull you in.

And tell me what you think, adult themes and it is insanely awesome. Sadly this kind of work is rare these days because of the cost/work required

It's not that I can't take animation seriously; my MAL profile in my signature below is proof of that.

It's that I can't take western animation seriously. Their uninspired jokes and toilet humor - The Simpsons, Spongebob, South Park, Teen Titans, etc - drives me off. There is no substance to those shows, nothing to latch on to and think about. The most thought provoking western animated show I've seen was Avatar and Korra, and even then they stumbled over themselves (what, with Avatar disregarding it's moral question with a deus ex machina, and Korra's story being botched by Nickelodeon's indecisiveness). RWBY is the only western animated show that had any substantial substance to it... for it's first three seasons. Now it's just stumbling over itself (though I've already gone to great lengths as to my grievances with that show in it's respective thread). Star Wars: The Clone Wars was hampered by being first and foremost a WAR STORY that had to air on CN, so the stories the writers could tell were incredibly limited and many opportunities lost, with most episodes being hit or miss. The last two seasons were genuinely great.

It saddens me, knowing - having SEEN - that the west was once the champion of animation, only to have sunk so low. Japanese and Chinese anime are right now the only sources of interesting animation to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a 35 year old adult myself and a graduate Bachelor of Animation and Arts, I respect all animation from preschool to teen animation to video game animation to anime.

Animation is a great art form that often might get unappreciated but I think anyone should respect the work and attention that its given, to the writing and the presentation of animation to the style and atmosphere.

At the end of the day it's just another media, like CGI or live action or stop motion. and like those it can cater to all ages. Even specifically adults.

You could create a simple drama using drawn animation and be aimed at adults, and they will take it seriously. ITts all about presentation
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-01-07 at 09:23 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

So animation like fritz the cat, and jungleburger (Tarzan shame of the jungle) not adult enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    As a 35 year old adult myself and a graduate Bachelor of Animation and Arts, I respect all animation from preschool to teen animation to video game animation to anime.

Animation is a great art form that often might get unappreciated but I think anyone should respect the work and attention that its given, to the writing and the presentation of animation to the style and atmosphere.

At the end of the day it's just another media, like CGI or live action or stop motion. and like those these can cater to all ages. Even specifically adults.

animation is great. You could create a simple drama using drawn animation and be aimed at adults, and they will take it seriously. ITts all about presentation
    What do you think of the vampire hunter D movies?

pure art

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Sounds like the @OP needs to get out and experience the world a bit more.
    I think we are talking about 45+, not 18-30.

unreal artwork style.