Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    That's why I said it's both.

America is an example of how blacks were treated and that being black carried the stigma of being a slave there, other parts of the world are proof that slavery was also a rich vs. poor issue. Bottom line is, people can be real garbage. Color doesn't matter.
    The irish was treated just as bad so its a moot point
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone who has even a passing interest in near east and African history is already aware of the Muslim slave trade through the early modern era and earlier etc, and how slavery wasn't "invented" by whites. Heck Africans sold each others to Europeans as part of the triangle trade too.

It's a human thing more so than anything about any particular ethnicity.
    Last edited by zealo; 2018-01-08 at 04:06 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Slavery is still widespread in parts of Asia and Africa.

So much so that there are possibly more slaves today than in any period before, due to the massive increase in the worldwide population.
    You're right, i should have typed "now its not an accepted practice anymore, thanks to the west", my bad.

Is it possible or even worth it to build a bunch of big hamster wheels. Hire people to walk on the hamster wheels to generate electricity. Maybe gear the hamster wheels to get more turns out of the hamster wheels. Probably would not generate enough electricity to be worth it.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2018-01-08 at 04:17 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Can I get my reparations now?
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

I already see some in this thread trying to dismiss slavery in America with the same bullshit of White people were once slaves. African/Arab sold them into slavery. Of course "Did you know black people owned slaves in America.

The real sin of America is racism. In a perfect world after the Civil War and the end of slavery we could have folded African Americans (former slaves) into society. Instead the south was steadfast with segregation and introduction of Jim Crow.

The North or states that did not institute slavery were just as culpable. With large migration of African Americans, Northern cities used segregation and discrimination by allowing African Americans to live in specific areas, white flight and banking discrimination to accumulate wealth. This was done greatly post WWII when Americans (white) were able to purchase a home, the best way to accumulate wealth.

This is what I do no get about people who say "My family never owned slaves" or "My family immigrated long after slavery". Very short sighted. I cannot and will not make a blanket statement that your ancestors were racist, not my point. My point has always been recgonize the wrong, especially long after slavery. Acknowledge it and let's try to fix it.
    Last edited by Paranoid Android; 2018-01-08 at 04:30 PM.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Currently slavery is a Muslim on Muslim and African on African crime but that of course isn't as important as the small amount of slavery that happened in the United States 200 years ago.

5+ Year Old Account
    Calling black people 'African Americans' is segregation.
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

While slavery has always been a thing, the colonial plantation system is peculiar and historically unique, the only somewhat parallel I can think of would be the Romans and how their economy was largely structured around slave labor and their military campaigns often focused on the acquisition of such labor.

But there is no historical parallel to the mass displacement of people, nor is there a clear parallel to race component of modern colonial slavery. Romans enslaved Latins, Greeks, Jews, Gauls, Germans, Africans, Asians. Race is rarely discussed in Roman literature, as they largely just categorized people as civilized (Greeco-Romanized) or barbarians, with a distinction drawn between Citizens and none Citizens (we know that Jews, Africans, Greeks, Germans, Gauls and pretty much anyone else could become a Roman citizen).

In a similar fashion Muslims in the Middle Ages engaged in the slave trade heavily, but once again lacked the racial and ethnic component, they enslaved none Muslims and typically would free the children of their slaves after raising them as Muslims.

I have never once heard the overall practice of slavery was white on black. That is mainly determined by specific instances and versions of slavery throughout history. Since I'm American, the most obvious frame of reference is the African-American slave trade. In that case, it was a white-on-black issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Slavery has been around for thousands of years and the transatlantic slave trade is just a part of that history, it's not the history. I constantly see remarks made on how we are not allowed to do this and that until white people have also been enslaved and oppressed. The thing is, we have been enslaved. For a thousand years.

The rich of all races has held slaves under brutal conditions. All of those instances had a common perpetrator, the rich, not the white.
    In Scandinavia for example children born to thralls also became thralls. They had no legal status and was considered property. The law stated that a master could whip a thrall for no more than 30 lashes after that it was the job for an executioner. Pregnant women had to get whipped lying on their stomach with a hole cut out to accommodate their bellies.
    In Egypt the Pharaohs worked slaves do death in their work camps. In Asia the Samurai held slaves in the Nara period and in more recent time the Japanese held POW slave workers etc etc. Even in America only rich feudal lords held slaves while the vast majority of Americans did not.

The rich have been very successful in making slavery in to a collective burden for the people instead of taking responsibility for it themselves.

Ask your self who was really holding the whip?
    The Romans had slaves. I don't get why we are always vilifying the US for what they did but no one ever says shit about the Romans.

If the poor steals from the rich, they get prison time for theft; but if the rich steals from the poor, it's capitalism and is rewarded by bailouts and tax evasion cuts.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Moriat View Post
    Currently slavery is a Muslim on Muslim and African on African crime but that of course isn't as important as the small amount of slavery that happened in the United States 200 years ago.
    I'll probably get myself in trouble but I can't resist.

We had the best Slavery, You haven't seen slavery until you seen our slavery. No country in the history of the world could do slavery like we did it. It was the best! So good we're still talking about 200 years later! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I imagine the reason the US's slavery is front and center, is the US was more of a first world country than much of the current African areas that deal in slavery now. You had this very open and easy to see Slavery versus what goes on in parts of the world no one overly cares about.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2018-01-08 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    It was both.

How many slaves in the US were white Americans?
    Considering there were very few actual Americans at the time I'm not sure what you're asking. However there were a lot of white indentured servants coming over from Europe.

Slavery is not about race but slavery in America race played a part that is a fact from the secession papers, Jim Crow laws and the rise of the KKK. The historical evidence is rather overwhelming, there are still audios of Southern state representative passionately arguing about slavery and the racism is not overt it is pretty blatant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Might be the fact that there is a difference of well over a thousand years between the two events. Might be.
    Ok. So how many years do we have to wait until we can stop talking about slavery in the US? What is the rule and who made it up? I mean the people who were responsible for slavery aren't alive anymore, neither are the people that used to be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraal View Post
    Considering there were very few actual Americans at the time I'm not sure what you're asking. However there were a lot of white indentured servants coming over from Europe.
    Yeah the whole slavery / indentured servitude / impressment lines are very blurry.

It's great to complain about the white people going over to other countries to fight, but a good number of those white people were kidnapped and forced into the navy against their will and would have been shot for deserting if they'd done anything else.

The whole history of global slavery and the transatlantic slavery is super complicated and actually very interesting and important from a historical point of view. It's a shame that we've retconned the whole of slavery now to just be about whites turning up in Africa to gather up all the poor Africans minding their own business.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Is there really any one who doesn’t know this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    -snip-
    This is what I do no get about people who say "My family never owned slaves" or "My family immigrated long after slavery". Very short sighted. I cannot and will not make a blanket statement that your ancestors were racist, not my point. My point has always been recgonize the wrong, especially long after slavery. Acknowledge it and let's try to fix it.
    Who the fuck cares if your ancestor was racist or not? You aren't them...

I'd like to see you try and "fix" it without imposing on my rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Slavery in America was completely different from slavery in other countries. Stop trying to rewrite history or downplay stripping folks of their culture, language, family and religion.