Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    It is objectively wrong. Immigration, broadly, whether undocumented or otherwise, is an immense competitive advantage we hold over the rest of the world.
    And the pursuit of Ever greater GDP is the sole consideration for a state?
    Also, look up GDP and GDP/per capita.
    We should be coming up with more ways to get people in the country, because it makes up more productive, makes us more adaptable to change, and creates a system that drains talent away from other countries.
    Eh? if that was suposed to be 'us more productive' that's wrong - The average immigrant is less productive than the average native, not more.
    Sure, the total product increases, but that does not mean productivity increases.
    Public schooling and welfare are of the same vein. Having a robust, competitive schooling system will enable us to be the global hegemon into the 21st century
    Find me a conservative that thinks there shouldn't be public schooling - Their complaint is that US public education currently is bad, and could be better in a variety of ways.
    As for welfare, it's well documented how it, to some degree, lowers GDP - Which you seem to be in favor of before.
    Besides, a liberal immigration policy is fundamentally incompatible with any sort of welfare system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    It's right in your link.

He said it was Satirical?
    Oh my bad, then it clearly was satirical.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    How did you come up with this 500k number? and second why should a university take 500K from their budget for an event that makes them nothing?
    Because 500k was a figure thrown around to host a speaker in 2017. It wouldn't cost them anything if you didn't have THUGS threatening violence because they can't be bothered to ignore an opinion that is different from theirs.

Both major political parties in the USA are guilty of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    Because 500k was a figure thrown around to host a speaker in 2017. It wouldn't cost them anything if you didn't have THUGS threatening violence because they can't be bothered to ignore an opinion that is different from theirs.

Both major political parties in the USA are guilty of this.
    Those speakers bring supporters with them they are as much of a security risk as the protesters, there is really no incentive for a University to do this when the only thing they will get out of it is bad publicity. The numbers I saw for 2017 were anywhere from 600K to 1 million because they basically have to put the entire campus on lock down. The students can feel free to invite speakers that don't draw that kind of attention as they have in the past those cost nothing.

Those speakers bring supporters with them they are as much of a security risk as the protesters, there is really no incentive for a University to do this when the only thing they will get out of it is bad publicity. The numbers I saw for 2017 were anywhere from 600K to 1 million because they basically have to put the entire campus on lock down. The students can feel free to invite speakers that don't draw that kind of attention as they have in the past those cost nothing.
    So you have no problem with artificially inflating the cost of security to prevent certain people from speaking on campus? Makes sense.

If the narrative in the media wasn't so toxic, we wouldn't have this issue.

So you have no problem with artificially inflating the cost of security to prevent certain people from speaking on campus? Makes sense.
    Artificially? how can you be so sure? do you realize how huge a campus is and how hard it is to lock it down? are you some kind of security expert? The fact of the matter is the university's cost should be 0 because they don't make anything out of it unless you support the speakers paying or charging for the event.

Deleted
    Artificially? how can you be so sure? do you realize how huge a campus is and how hard it is to lock it down? are you some kind of security expert? The fact of the matter is the university's cost should be 0 because they don't make anything out of it unless you support the speakers paying or charging for the event.
    staging mass protests = Artificially.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    staging mass protests = Artificially.
    Controversial people with large social media following attract protesters and supporters, I am not sure why you think that is "artificial" when social media says otherwise.

I realize how big a college campus is. I realize how hard it is to lock down. My issue is it only seems one side warrants these crazy expensive bills. It's almost like people are trying to prevent people from speaking by claiming outrageous security fees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    A fundamental paradigm shift from "you are entitled to your opinion" to "you are entitled to an opinion that you can substantiate".

Someone holding a belief should not automatically raise that belief to the baseline level of legitimacy that merits academic discussion, nor should it protect that belief from criticism and ridicule.
    It shouldn't protect from ridicule, but saying it should be barred from discussion is pure nonsense. That's how you teach.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

I realize how big a college campus is. I realize how hard it is to lock down. My issue is it only seems one side warrants these crazy expensive bills. It's almost like people are trying to prevent people from speaking by claiming outrageous security fees.
    That's your paranoia I hope you realize that these universities have been inviting people from both sides of the spectrum for years mostly without incident. These alt right figures entire goal is to stir up controversies and large crowds they take these incidents as badges of honor as it helps them sell more books. I would feel more for them if they weren't such obvious trolls with no substance.

That's your paranoia I hope you realize that these universities have been inviting people from both sides of the spectrum for years mostly without incident. These alt right figures entire goal is to stir up controversies and large crowds they take these incidents as badges of honor as it helps them sell more books. I would feel more for them if they weren't such obvious trolls with no substance.
    Ben Shapiro isn't "Alt-Right". Among others. But, whatever. It's being used as a weapon right now, and everyone can see it.

Ben Shapiro isn't "Alt-Right". Among others. But, whatever. It's being used as a weapon right now, and everyone can see it.
    Only those too blind to see and ignore the fact in many of these cases the university even offered them an less expensive more secure off campus venues for a later date which they refused. They then go on right wing media and cry a river about how liberal universities are out to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    This is where you're wrong. People existed before government. People create the government. People make up the government. People can choose to forfeit their rights through government.

You don't give people rights you give people privileges.

No where did I say I think we're following the Constitution. No where did I say it was easy. The founding fathers knew that in order to keep it the way they created it, would be through perseverance and fortitude and potentially blood. The tree of liberty must be fed with blood. Their words, not mine.

Do you have the right to have sex with children?

By your logic, the answer should be 'yes'. By your logic, you create the rights you have and you'd be right, as long as you have the power to exercise that right.

See, that's where your idea of how rights exist falls apart; it's about power. As long as you have the power to exercise that right, it technically exists. You can speak, travel, etc as you see fit, but only because someone else lets you. The moment they are of a mind they don't want you doing something, no amount of self-righteous indignation is going to make your rights any more effectual than they already are.

Because for a right to be such, not only must you be able to exercise a right, there must be a superior force that chooses to respect that right; keyword here is choose.

A weaker person challenging your rights is no threat; your right to whatever you choose remains unaffected. A weak person attempting to stop you from doing something will make little effect on the result. A superior force, however, will stop you dead in your tracks.

Sure, the founding fathers said a lot of things, but tyranny cares not for words, rights, or even the wealth you possess. It cares about power and in the eyes of the government, your rights possess only that which they choose to afford you.

You are a fool to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    How so? Or are you saying that freedom is a thing of the past?
    No not at all... just that your argument has already been touched upon and countered

Quote Originally Posted by Musik-Diversity86 View Post
    No not at all... just that your argument has already been touched upon and countered
    No, it has not.

Only those too blind to see and ignore the fact in many of these cases the university even offered them an less expensive more secure off campus venues for a later date which they refused. They then go on right wing media and cry a river about how liberal universities are out to get them.
    Maybe that happened, maybe it didn't. You are still dancing around the idea that because these colleges seem to only push one agenda, they won't let counter ideologies to speak without hassle. And this is coming from a lifelong Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, it has not.
    Then you have 48 pgs of reading

Maybe that happened, maybe it didn't. You are still dancing around the idea that because these colleges seem to only push one agenda, they won't let counter ideologies to speak without hassle. And this is coming from a lifelong Democrat.
    No need to dance just look up past speakers again I hope you realize that they have been inviting people from both sides of the isle for years mostly without incident. The colleges never have had to deal with these alt right social media figures that garner such attention. Before the age of Trump politics was mostly boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    They aren't pushing one 'agenda'. Why are you so quick to believe they are pushing an agenda, extreme conspiratorial theory that enjoins thousands of universities, or the most simplest explanation that their "ideology" is merely trolling, or better yet, has no educational or empirical value.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    They aren't pushing one 'agenda'. Why are you so quick to believe they are pushing an agenda, extreme conspiratorial theory that enjoins thousands of universities,
    Selection bias.