Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Every time I see one of these it is pit bull, how dumb can people get?

Pitbull? Check

Spontaneous attack? Check

Dog have never done this before cover up story? Check

Pictures of innocent Pitbulls to convince us that these animals are not unstable psychopaths? Missing

15+ Year Old Account
    If i get a dog it would be a corgi. Other wise I'm gonna stick with my 2 cats

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    The majority of dog attacks (61%) happen at home or in a familiar place.

Edit: already foreseeing you nitpicking the "OR IN A FAMILIAR PLACE" so just gonna lol and ignore notifications from this thread
    lol. You know that isn't what am asking so you declare yourself right and say you will ignore me.....

If they bite a cop while they are in a familiar place, that isn't a bit on a family member is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    lol. You know that isn't what am asking so you declare yourself right and say you will ignore me.....

If they bite a cop while they are in a familiar place, that isn't a bit on a family member is it?
    No because it keeps honing in farther and farther in on exactly what you are asking while leaving up small variables so you disregard the data. You aren't interested in the actual facts, you are interested in being right on a World of Warcraft fan forum which is pretty sad tbh

In this series, dogs causing the injury were overwhelmingly familiar with the patient: 53% of dogs belonged to the family ... In our series (as in Philadelphia), Pit bulls were most commonly responsible.
    source: http://www.jpedsurg.org/article/S002...584-3/abstract , https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php
    Last edited by Gib Lover; 2018-01-08 at 04:36 PM.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    German Shepherds are much safer than pit bulls, pretty much every breed is.

Just some stats (from American Kennel Club registrations and various surveys) to give you an idea of how much safer they are...

--------

- Number of Pit Bulls (American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Stafforshire Bull Terrier) in the US any given year: Between ~4% and ~7% (it varies wildly from year to year) of all dogs in the US;~3.5-6 million.

- Number of German Shepherds in the US any given year: ~4%-4.5% of all dogs in the US; ~3.5-4 million.

- Number of retrievers (primarily Labrador and Golden Retrievers) in the US any given year: ~6% of all dogs in the US; ~5.5 million.

Here is just the number of fatal attacks in the US where the breed was known:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_...ported_in_2017

- Fatal Pit Bull attacks recorded: 631

- Fatal German shepherd attacks recorded: 55

- Fatal retriever attacks recorded: 40

--------

The argument people often whip out in defense of Pit Bulls is that they are very popular and since there are so many more of them, obviously there will be more attacks... There are basically the same number of Pit Bulls in the US as German Shepherds and retrievers any given year, yet they are responsible for 12 times as many fatal attacks as Germany Shepherds and almost 16 times as many as retrievers.
    Can you give us the statistics regarding attacks? Pit bulls are very strong thus their attacks are more likely to kill/cause permanent injury... however, IIRC they aren't the breed with the highest incidents of attacking. Not to say they aren't dangerous overall due to strength, but I think there are other breeds that have a higher rate of biting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    No because it keeps honing in farther and farther in on exactly what you are asking while leaving up small variables so you disregard the data. You aren't interested in the actual facts, you are interested in being right on a World of Warcraft fan forum which is pretty sad tbh

source: http://www.jpedsurg.org/article/S002...584-3/abstract , https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics.php
    I'm not disregarding any data. Not once have I said any of it is wrong. All I have said is it doesn't answer my question.

She made the claim that bites on family members were extremely common. So I'm asking what % of overall bites are on a direct faimly member as she claimed.

Best we have so far is what you just quoted of 53% but this still adds extended family also. How many of the 53% is extend and how many are direct family members?

Even with 53% I'm not sure that would classify as "extremely" common, common sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Even with 53% I'm not sure that would classify as "extremely" common, common sure.
    Whoever said extremely common misspoke, for sure.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Can you give us the statistics regarding attacks? Pit bulls are very strong thus their attacks are more likely to kill/cause permanent injury... however, IIRC they aren't the breed with the highest incidents of attacking. Not to say they aren't dangerous overall due to strength, but I think there are other breeds that have a higher rate of biting.
    Nope, most US hospitals and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stopped tracking the breeds of dog attacks. The fatalities are the only nationwide known quantity and basically only because of media reporting.

Some individual hospitals have done their own studies:
    http://journals.lww.com/annalsofsurg...s_Dogs.23.aspx

With regard to the bold, as you point out yourself, their size and strength is what the danger is; in conjunction with their temperament. Chihuahuas could be 1000 times as vicious and aggressive as pit bulls and responsible for 1000 times as many bites, it doesn't matter, chihuahuas aren't capable of overpowering you and ripping you apart.

The inspiring story of a pit bull who traveled 2500 miles to attack its owner.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, I'm so shocked to see it was a Pitbull. Truly an outlier case.

I feel sorry for the Young Girl, The parents are moronic fuckwits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Fucking pit bulls. Can we ban these beasts already?
    I never thought I'd see the day where Elba and I agreed on something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Man, I read "dad dabs dog to death".
    Try saying that 5 times in a row as fast as you can.

OT: tragic
    As sad as the Story is, I read bolded and just imagined the Dog dying of pure shame of his owner. Like a Knight of Ni hearing Ni and laughed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    This. Pitbulls like Tibetan mastiffs, chows, doberman's and most larger molosser dogs are not meant to be these goofy loving family pets. Now they can make great pets, I had an American pitbull terrier named Moses that was a great dog, but I understood what type of dog he was.

Pitbulls are also in a position to where their morphology makes them far more dangerous than certain dog breeds. While pitbulls are not statistically more likely to bite than other breeds, their jaws are incredibly powerful and being terriers, they naturally go for the throat or face and hold (because that's what they were bred to do and why they're excellent catch dogs).
    Newfoundlands are one of the few exceptions really, most molossers are bred to be guard dogs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Citation needed.
    Are you kidding? What citation?
    It's not like people report good dog behaviour.
    While almost all dog attacks are recorded.

I have many friends with big dogs and kids (and many more aquantances and neighbors)
    I haven't heard a single incident for 30 years now. That's where i base this from.

10+ Year Old Account
    A dachshund would never do such a thing. Weiner dogs are best dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkbonk100 View Post
    Pitbull? Check

Spontaneous attack? Check

Dog have never done this before cover up story? Check

Pictures of innocent Pitbulls to convince us that these animals are not unstable psychopaths? Missing
    Let me get that for you
    [QUOTE]DallasBiff
    "I will say it again. Adopt a pitbull, they are the sweetest creatures on Earth, IMO."
    *snipped*
    Woops... I think I got the wrong one.

Infracted
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2018-01-08 at 07:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    A dachshund would never do such a thing. Weiner dogs are best dogs.
    Pretty sure I've read somewhere that they are actually the most aggressive breed in terms of how likely they are to bite someone. They are just unlikely to do any noteworthy damage.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Eventually we'll stop with the rhetoric that pitbulls aren't dangerous dogs. It denies literally everything we know about dog breeding and, basically, our entire foundation of knowledge of dogs up to this point. To say pitbulls aren't inherently dangerous is to say that huskies and malamutes aren't inherently sled dogs, or that sheepdog breeds aren't inherently herders. Sure, there are plenty of exceptions, and with specific training you may get a good dog - but always remember that you're working with behaviors that were specifically selected for this breed.

It makes you want to shake your fists in rage when you see news reports and bad studies try to say this isn't actually the case, because nearly all of them use anti-science: "Oh, if we just throw out this data, or assume that data is bad, or make this assumption, pit bulls are perfectly acceptable!" Yes, and if I round the last digit of the scale down to 0, I don't have to be nearly so stressed about going to the gym after this last holiday season, but that's not how things actually work.

is this news worthy? people defend from brutal attackers all the time. If a family member was trying violently harming another beloved family member, id attack them too to protect the innocent. Not an animal rights issue. common sense. Dont want someone you love getting brutalized. Even tho you may love the other person, you cant let them kill others.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I would never have a large animal of any breed around a young child. Would you?
    I trust my five year old Golden Retriever around children and small animals, she brought me an baby squirrel in her mouth once (unharmed, turned out to be orphaned..found the corpse of its mother several feet away). Of course I believe supervision is always appropriate.

I would never own a pit bull. I've meet sweet ones, but have also read too many stories like this one. Irresponsible people breeding for aggression has ruined the breed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    Eventually we'll stop with the rhetoric that pitbulls aren't dangerous dogs. It denies literally everything we know about dog breeding and, basically, our entire foundation of knowledge of dogs up to this point. To say pitbulls aren't inherently dangerous is to say that huskies and malamutes aren't inherently sled dogs, or that sheepdog breeds aren't inherently herders. Sure, there are plenty of exceptions, and with specific training you may get a good dog - but always remember that you're working with behaviors that were specifically selected for this breed.

It makes you want to shake your fists in rage when you see news reports and bad studies try to say this isn't actually the case, because nearly all of them use anti-science: "Oh, if we just throw out this data, or assume that data is bad, or make this assumption, pit bulls are perfectly acceptable!" Yes, and if I round the last digit of the scale down to 0, I don't have to be nearly so stressed about going to the gym after this last holiday season, but that's not how things actually work.
    I hope so. It's good to take emotion out of these situations. Of course it's not the dog's fault for being bred for what it is, it's ours. We bred them to be exactly what we want them to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people keep pets at home? I can understand an aquarium.

Keeping a pitbull at home is asking for trouble. What a shame for this little girl!