Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Populous: The beginning, this was my first taste of the RTS Genre.

Heart of Darkness, I remember the 3D elements of the game really blew me away.

Technomage.

Shadow Madness, another Final fantasy type game which received quite bad reviews. But I enjoyed it as a child.

People in this thread need to stop mentioning Playstation Greatest Hits titles as somehow underappreciated. People aren't talking about Xenogears/FFT/FF8/Parasite Eve so on so forth because they are 15-20 years old, not because they didn't sell like hot cakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate..._(PlayStation)

Anyway, let me hit you with The Unholy War, a 3D fighting game/TBS that played like chess and had a pretty diverse cast and Ghost in the Shell, a 3D shooter based on the manga where you could strafe at high speed up walls in your Fuchikoma.

For me there are a few based on this criteria:

• Not a PS1 greatest hit
    • I do a play-through generally every few years because the game still itches some nostalgia

1) Valkyrie Profile. Aside from the linearity of the game, everything else about it is quite phenomenal IMO. The combat engine is fun and the cinematic magic spells are fun, and the snippets of last moments are a unique touch.

2) Legend of Legaia. I don't know why but the concept of ra-seru, the combat engine, and the villains/map/gameplay really impressed me and keep me coming back.

3) Kings Field 2. A great pre-cursor to the dark souls series. Even though the gfx are downright horrible these days, there's something about the eerie music, feelings of despair and dread, death around every corner, there being next to no direction on where to go/what to do, and a general lack of NPCs. Tons of secrets and hidden stuff in the game that I for some reason still remember the location of by heart to this day

4) Vandal Hearts. Good FFT styled gameplay and gfx that hold up decently. The games a bit linear, but the story is fun to play through and the levels give a good challenge and leveling up your allies to new classes is pretty fun.

5) Alundra. Honestly this game blew me away. It's almost a direct clone of Zelda, but it somehow works just as good. The level design and puzzle design were top notch even if a bit difficult for someone at my age back then (That fucking ice place sliding pillar puzzle).

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

2) Legend of Legaia. I don't know why but the concept of ra-seru, the combat engine, and the villains/map/gameplay really impressed me and keep me coming back.
    I've recently played LISA: The Painful RPG, and the combat is pretty similar to that found in Legend of Legaia. Both are awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of people forget Command And Conquer: Red Alert was available on PS1.

No love for Parappa the Rapper?!?

You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibelheimy View Post
    Azure Dreams for PS1 was crazy good. Never met anyone else who's played it.
    Congratulations, you've just met one online who did! ^_^

I loved that game too. I laugh as I still try to picture the people who made this sitting down and saying "OK, how can we combine Pokemon, Diablo, Sim City and Dating Simulators into one game? Anybody!?" :P

I was always curious what would happen if you got to the end without Kewne in your party as he was the only one I ever needed... well, that and a fully-dusted up Gold Sword and Diamond shield. ;P

EDIT: oh, and I had a couple of those Barrong creatures as well - just to have a portable loot slot machine with me. :P
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2018-01-08 at 09:05 PM.

Final Fantasy 9. Well yes, it's final fantasy (thus a big name title), it's very often forgotten as a original PlayStation game, and I daresay the best of the series. Never understood the love for seven and eight, nine was where it's at.
    CYOA comic updated regularly!
    http://dovashy.deviantart.com/

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    Legend of Dragoon
    Vagrant Story
    Tactics Ogre(You can pry my copy out of my cold dead hands,I paid $80 for it in '98)
    Front Mission 3
    Suikoden 1 & 2
    Yeah Front Mission 3 was also a really great game i have it on my vita it´s still great

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    Warzone 2100, probably the best overlooked RTS game in history. Full 3D, permanent campaign, diverse missions all in 1999, sadly never becamem huge hit. Kula World was also an awesome logic game.
    Had played Warzone 2100 for days but got stucked in the one mission where they KI started to take over your units.

10+ Year Old Account
    Silhouette Mirage - Two years too late coming out but one of the best games of early 2000 along with DoA2, RE:CV, Crazy Taxi, etc.

Gunners Heaven (imported this) - Gunstar Heroes clone but a damn good one!

Tron Bonne - I actually liked this better than the MML games tbh.

Raystorm - Still holds up today!

Einhander - Its a shame they won't re-release this or remake it.

Klonoa - $20 at Wally World in late 1997!

Psychic Force - Decent and weird fighting game

Lunar 1 and 2 - Damn good traditionalJ RPGs and much better than the Sega CD versions IMO.

Tales of Destiny - 2nd in the series and still good IMO.

Many many more!

I regret selling my PSX collection 10 years ago tbh. I had about 70+ and mostly rares. :/

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergar View Post
    People in this thread need to stop mentioning Playstation Greatest Hits titles as somehow underappreciated. People aren't talking about Xenogears/FFT/FF8/Parasite Eve so on so forth because they are 15-20 years old, not because they didn't sell like hot cakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate..._(PlayStation)

Anyway, let me hit you with The Unholy War, a 3D fighting game/TBS that played like chess and had a pretty diverse cast and Ghost in the Shell, a 3D shooter based on the manga where you could strafe at high speed up walls in your Fuchikoma.
    This right here was an amazing game. Me and my brother would play the shit out of it when we were younger.

Suikoden 1 and 2 imo should be played by just about anyone who loves RPG games, both are on the PS1.

Some other games i enjoyed were Legend of Legaia as well, and i remember this one game i think called Einhander.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

I loved that game too. I laugh as I still try to picture the people who made this sitting down and saying "OK, how can we combine Pokemon, Diablo, Sim City and Dating Simulators into one game? Anybody!?" :P
    Whoa more people that played Azure Dreams I thought most never played that game romancing the Rival sister just to piss him off is funny as hell.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For those who want to go on a nostalgia trip though, oooooh boy, do I got some oldies for you!

Ninja: Shadow of Darkness

Bushido Blade

Tail Concerto

Jersey Devil

And last but not least, the greatest game of all time for me as a kid, Tomba.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    I think a lot of people forget Command And Conquer: Red Alert was available on PS1.
    yeah but...Red Alert was defintely NOT underrated...and more people perfered the PC Version...also to that extent Warcraft 2 was on the PS1

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of you guys still keep posting like Top 20 lists. Try harder guys.

I'd have to say Tigershark. Being able to seemlessly move between surface and underwater was freaking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee. Most of the other ones people have already mentioned.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2018-01-09 at 07:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post

Alundra. Honestly this game blew me away. It's almost a direct clone of Zelda, but it somehow works just as good. The level design and puzzle design were top notch even if a bit difficult for someone at my age back then (That fucking ice place sliding pillar puzzle).
    I love it so much even though indeed it's Zelda clone but I like the serious tone theme of the game and how the storyline is so deep/sad and tragic in fact which is something we don't usually see in Zelda games when it comes to seriousness and tragic.

X-Men vs. Street Fighter was fun but overshadowed with games like Tekken.

Dragonseeds : closet thing to pokemon for the PS1 and it was pretty fun to have a dragon and having your dragon evolve. Did have some god dam issues though major issues though that made the game more annoying then fun sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxit the Gnome View Post
    Yes! Speed Freaks was rad as hell.

Also, my number 1 underappreciated PS1 game would be Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. Such a simple, yet elegant platformer with a really touching story.

- - - Updated - - -

Azure Dreams was amaze-balls!
    Klonoa is still my all time favorite game. The second one was also pretty good on PS2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

I was always curious what would happen if you got to the end without Kewne in your party as he was the only one I ever needed... well, that and a fully-dusted up Gold Sword and Diamond shield. ;P

EDIT: oh, and I had a couple of those Barrong creatures as well - just to have a portable loot slot machine with me. :P
    I used Kewne and a Block monster mixed with a Another monster who's name escapes me now. So it basically had double attack and double defense ratings and could finish the 40th floor when i was only supposed to be around 25ish. Did kinda cheat it for me though Never managed to get a Barrong egg