Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vastly different. We could buy the house, pay off debt and live very comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Well, yes. Nobody said that you'd want to literally spend 11k if you make 11k. You need reserves. But you asked how someone could spend that much money. Well, that's how. Just buy stuff.
    Yeah I didn't say you would literally have to spend 11k a month. It was rhetorical question to the stupidity that you would spend 1 million in 5 years.

Deleted
    Extremely, I would be less bored because i could afford all the premium entertainment books and games. I would be a lot happier and calmer because most of my life troubles come down to money. I would live in my own house with financial security i could finally with a honest calm decide to have offspring. Politics wouldnt affect me much because i could just move to luxury any time anything starts going sour. Id spend more time in my home with my family, my partner wouldnt have to work so she could be arround most of the day. Id have projects i want to toy with and i wouldnt have to work to get by... My stress related ailments would get alot better because all of this and not having to care about medical costs of a frequent checkup etc...

SO yea, if you have a lot of money even a 100k which isnt an inconcievable ammount that would set me up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not much. My wife and I are borderline millionaires (net worth in the 860-900k range) now. Though I suppose it may push our retirement up a little bit. We’d both still work.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2018-01-09 at 11:38 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Make sure I understand the full amount of money I am getting (lotto = assuming after taxes take their cut?)
    Spend alot of time deciding what I really *need* to be happy, and can I afford it safely?
    Look to invest as much of it as possible, and live off it for as long as possible.

I don't have fancy dreams or anything.
    I want the ultimate computer.
    I want one or two mid-range price cars.
    I want a nice but small house somewhere quiet.
    Launch my own small studio / team.
    I want to take one really nice vacation somewhere amazing.
    Honestly, hire a tutor to teach me Japanese.
    Go to Japan if I can afford to.

Try very hard to never work another day in my life.
    So some of the above would be weighed against what I can afford to do.
    It's only one million dollars, that doesn't go as far as it sounds like it should.
    Some people above are over-estimating how far a million would actually go.

I don't need a mansion or want one, I just want security and to be lazy as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Yeah I didn't say you would literally have to spend 11k a month. It was rhetorical question to the stupidity that you would spend 1 million in 5 years.
    It would be indeed very stupid.

Just buy a house and make sure you never end up homeless. That frees your mind more than anything else and gives you strength to pursue what you'd really like to do as a profession

10+ Year Old Account
    pay off dept, buy a large comfortable house, sell or give away my current car, buy a better car and a truck, quit my unfulfilling dead end job that kills me inside and sucks away at my soul every time I clock in, go to a gym cause now I have time to be healthy, start shopping at Trader Joe's and get a Costco membership, start investing, start up a business and go to school and in between all that set my kids up so they can go to college when they're old enough and wont have to work a shit job and still be broke like me

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    Not much. My wife and I are borderline millionaires (net worth in the 860-900k range) now. Though I suppose it may push our retirement up a little bit. We’d both still work.
    I assume Americans count their 401k as net worth?

So lets see 2 kids going to private university that's 500k gone (lol wtf is this shit?). Average healthcare cost for 2 pensioners in the USA 200k. You better start saving up.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Cost of living in Ho Chi Minh City is low but it isn't THAT low...

ONE million dollars would be great for taking care of some debt, bolstering a savings or retirement account, or buying a house. It is NOT enough for someone currently in their 30's or younger to retire unless they plan to live a VERY simple life.
    It would be enough to continue living like I do now, my expenses are about $400-500 per month.

I would pay off my mortgages and buy another rental property.

Quit my job, invest the money, life off the interest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy a nice house, new PC & Laptop, then travel a lot. Invest. Would change my life pretty greatly to be honest.

I would build a new truck and travel around to see where I'd want to establish permanent and end game residency. I'd pay this chick I know to be my GF for the year, while I do all of this. 100% sure she'd be down for that. After which... I'd settle into life at my probable new location.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

buy a gorillion bit coins and sell it for 1000,000,000,000,0000000 dollards
    hit & run posting lol

Actually, it wouldn't change that much - the only thing it'd change is me dropping out of university and not having to find a job. 1 million USD in my currency is almost 4 times more. I'd probably be able to live comfortably (not rich, just a bit above the average spending my money on stupid shit I don't need) until I'm like 70. After that I can just kill myself, after all, that would be a good life. Doing whatever the fuck I wanted for the vast majority of it without having a worry in the world.

Probably sell my old car and get a slightly more modern one. (it is 30 years old now)
    Start searching for an apartment that I can buy and thus lower my monthly cost.
    Probably buy some upgrades for my computer and then bank the rest.

FC - 2234-7580-4322
    Ingame - Mille
    DS name - Groggen

I'd quit my job in an instant and find some volunteer job for 2-3 days a week or something, so I wouldn't feel completely useless and out of touch with society.
    I'd give some financial support to family members. I'd have lots of free time, for gaming, music making and holidays. I'd buy some nice stuff like a new car and a ridiculous gaming PC. I wouldn't move to another place.

I would stop working, travel a bit...move to Japan for a while.

In other words i'd do anything i want.

Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Not much? It's several decades worth of salary for most people in the (western) world. More than most will ever earn over a life time outside of it.
    I didn't say it wouldn't help, but it definitely wouldn't allow me to live as someone "rich".

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    How is not 1 million alot in america? I thought the top 10% only earn like 150-200k a year?
    I'm assuming it's a one time payout. Divided up over 30 years (not including any interest or investment returns) that'd give you about $30k/year to live off of, which isn't even lower middle class. This is also assuming no medical emergencies, depending on the severity could quickly wipe out any savings. Not to mention whether or not you have a retirement fund, if you don't then the $1 million should arguably go entirely to that since last I read it takes about $2 million to retire comfortably now.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Deleted
    I'd buy a nice apartment in Copenhagen furnish it, buy a bike, and invest the rest.

So the only aspects of my life that would change is where I live.