Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What makes up a curse?

I have been looking at the history of curses, some follow a pattern, others are sporadic. The big family curses I think are considered curses because the families are rich and/or famous, middle class/poor families arent cursed when a family member dies, thats just a normal part of life. Any "curse" that kills someone years later I dont really consider a curse. But Im trying to find what dictates a curse?
    Today is Beautiful and so are you, here's to having a wonderful day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvuk View Post
    I have been looking at the history of curses, some follow a pattern, others are sporadic. The big family curses I think are considered curses because the families are rich and/or famous, middle class/poor families arent cursed when a family member dies, thats just a normal part of life. Any "curse" that kills someone years later I dont really consider a curse. But Im trying to find what dictates a curse?
    I am.. out of words, I thought for a moment this was spam...

i think you would at first need to believe in curses.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2018-01-09 at 12:21 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Seeing as curses are fictitious, you can choose whatever you want to define what a curse is.

Deleted
    A pox upon you.

Deleted
    A curse is the phenomenon where person A hopes that something shitty happens to person B and that wish actually comes true by chance.
    Apart from that, you probably make it up as you go along.

Didn't they all get pruned?

Deleted
    A curse comes always back - so if you doom someone it will happen. But after it happened it will also happen to you. BUY BABA JI DARK MAGIC NO RISK !!!

well at one time u could buy them and potions on ebay but they stopped selling them.. that count?
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    -45 to Arcane, Fire, Frost, Nature and Shadow resistances and 8% increased magic damage taken.

This would best be posted in the warlock forums

Tee hee

A curse is that thing that you see in act 4 of diablo 2, when you're whirlwinding through diablo's castle on your barbarian and you end up 1 shotting yourself due to iron maiden.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I thought this thread was about swear words and i was gonna post on why swear words come about but clearly OP is on about something completely different so i will grab my coat...

10+ Year Old Account
    lol here you go.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    This would best be posted in the warlock forums

Tee hee
    Lol. Good one.

But makes you wonder. The one which comes to mind is the comment by the owners of the Titanic, when they said, " Even the All Mighty could not sink her ". And not going to debate religion, but even the Bible speaks of curses. One's choice to believe it or not of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But makes you wonder. The one which comes to mind is the comment by the owners of the Titanic, when they said, " Even the All Mighty could not sink her ". And not going to debate religion, but even the Bible speaks of curses. One's choice to believe it or not of course.
    I think it could be an interesting philosophical debate. Even if we start out with curses are not real, I think there could be some discussion where we just change Curse to "Jinxed" or "Self fulfilling prophecy". Using the Titanic as an example, was it their hubris that cause them to be sloppy in their duties and precautions?

If I take Jordan Peterson's approach to the bible as a means of past generations passing down wisdom in metaphorical means and look at some of the curses mentioned. You could say that for example, "A curse will be upon you if you lie with a man\woman for pleasure alone and that curse will be past down to your children and their children". As warning of having out of wedlock babies, which leads to a harder life, which leads to children having babies out of wedlock which leads to more hard times for that family line.

Or maybe we go with a curse that is upon an Egyption tomb and those that open it. The people of the time didn't fully understand the cause, but understood that opening a tomb of a dead person could release something (bacteria and other infected bugs) that would lead to sickness.

And since we are susceptible beings, maybe if some creepy old person screams out a curse upon you, you let it take root in your mind and you slowly let it change what you do or how you behave and if it feels like it's coming true it speeds up the process. For example, you believe you have been cursed with sickness, so you start feeling sick more, you try to address the unknown sickness in unhealthy ways making you more sick and so on until you die.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2018-01-09 at 03:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bette Midlerus Hocus Pocurus!

#boycottchina

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm very good looking, and my penis is extremely large. It is a CURSE.
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

"Go to Hell" and "Damn you!" are curses.

In cultures where belief in curses is common cursing someone can have an effect. It's like the "placebo effect" but in reverse.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

This is a joke, right?

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    A pox upon you.
    pfft, i'm vaccinated. and since the only pox cultures left are locked in 2 laboratories, it is a very useless curse, even to unprotected humans.

try influenza instead, it seems to work every year !