computer keeps freezing cant figure out why.

im running

15 6600k
    gtx 1080 ti
    ballistix sport 16gb ddr4 2400 ram
    asus z170 board
    win 10 home

i keep having this issue where my computer will just freeze no blue screen or anything it will just freeze both screens and the only way to get out of it is to hold the power button.now i wanna say that this is an ongoing issue.ive had my case and power supply for 5 years but everything else has been changed over the years.more recently as of last year is when i switched to the above cpu,board and ram.at the time i had a gtx 970.i recently got the 1080ti.i thought maybe the gpu was the issue but i still have the freezing problem.i was gonna replace both ssd's thinking because i haven't changed them yet it has something to do with them.everything is up to date as far as firmware and driver updates.im kinda lost.

another issue i had idk if it has anything to do with it is i was playing doom on ultra with the 1080ti and i was still getting screen tearing.dont know if its linked but figured id throw it in there.

ps:i know im shitty at closing out threads when ive gotten help in the past but trust me i appreciate everyone that helps on here.

Do a memtest. Check if all connections on your mb are alright, since you've recently upgraded gpu.
    Use AIDA64 to stress test system stability under max load - maybe your psu is failing or your cpu overclock (if any) is unstable.

just memtest from memtest86.com?and ill run the stress test

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psychokilla187 View Post
    just memtest from memtest86.com?and ill run the stress test
    Yes. Best way is to put the test on a CD or USB drive and go into BIOS and choose to boot from that drive, it'll run the test as long as you let it, pretty much, and will tell you if you have faulty RAM or not. That's always something I do if I get new RAM or think something is up. Helped me learn that my then barely a year old Kingston HyperX RAM years back had gone bad.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

soon as i get a chance ill do it then run the stress test

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yes. Best way is to put the test on a CD or USB drive and go into BIOS and choose to boot from that drive, it'll run the test as long as you let it, pretty much, and will tell you if you have faulty RAM or not. That's always something I do if I get new RAM or think something is up. Helped me learn that my then barely a year old Kingston HyperX RAM years back had gone bad.
    https://imgur.com/ZiodgHP
    https://imgur.com/LvkAFKR

these are my memtest results ill have to run a stress test tomorow

I had a similar issue with 2 GSKILL (8 GB) DDR3 RAM sticks on the previous iteration of my rig.

I too ran Memtest for 24 hours (not just 3) which resulted into zero errors.

Then I opened up the case and noted very heavy dust buildup on the RAM sticks themselves as well as on the slots around them.

I removed the RAM sticks and took outside my rig and blew it up to do away with the dust.

Now after I did that, I replaced the RAM sticks with brand new ones (2X8GB) also made by GSKILL and never had any problems since, which tells me that the previous RAM sticks I had installed and/or the dust buildup were the issue.

I sold my old RAM sticks on EBAY shortly thereafter and I didn't hear from the buyer, which means the sticks probably worked just fine in his rig.

So, I would recommend:

1. Remove the RAM sticks and put them back again. Test to see if the issue persists.

2. Remove the RAM sticks again. Clean up and remove the dust from around the RAM slots as well as dust on the RAM sticks themselves. Test to see if the issue persists.

3. Get new RAM and see if the issue persists. (You can buy a couple of sticks from Amazon and return them in 30 days with a full refund).

4. If, after replacing the RAM sticks with new ones you still have the same issue, get a different PSU and test your rig with it.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

What be your power supply wattage? Do the windows logs saying anything?

When you upgraded the GPU did you either use DDU to make sure all remnants of the old driver were gone or do a fresh install of Windows? If not, I would recommend DDU and re-install drivers as the first thing to check as it's pretty quick and easy and solves a lot more problems than you would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    I had a similar issue with 2 GSKILL (8 GB) DDR3 RAM sticks on the previous iteration of my rig.

I too ran Memtest for 24 hours (not just 3) which resulted into zero errors.

Then I opened up the case and noted very heavy dust buildup on the RAM sticks themselves as well as on the slots around them.

I removed the RAM sticks and took outside my rig and blew it up to do away with the dust.

Now after I did that, I replaced the RAM sticks with brand new ones (2X8GB) also made by GSKILL and never had any problems since, which tells me that the previous RAM sticks I had installed and/or the dust buildup were the issue.

I sold my old RAM sticks on EBAY shortly thereafter and I didn't hear from the buyer, which means the sticks probably worked just fine in his rig.

So, I would recommend:

1. Remove the RAM sticks and put them back again. Test to see if the issue persists.

2. Remove the RAM sticks again. Clean up and remove the dust from around the RAM slots as well as dust on the RAM sticks themselves. Test to see if the issue persists.

3. Get new RAM and see if the issue persists. (You can buy a couple of sticks from Amazon and return them in 30 days with a full refund).

4. If, after replacing the RAM sticks with new ones you still have the same issue, get a different PSU and test your rig with it.
    ill try that this weekend.

im gonna run a stress test for a few hours while im at the movies and see what happens

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What be your power supply wattage? Do the windows logs saying anything?
    750 watts and nothing in logs

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    im running

15 6600k
    gtx 1080 ti
    ballistix sport 16gb ddr4 2400 ram
    asus z170 board
    win 10 home

i keep having this issue where my computer will just freeze no blue screen or anything it will just freeze both screens and the only way to get out of it is to hold the power button.now i wanna say that this is an ongoing issue.ive had my case and power supply for 5 years but everything else has been changed over the years.more recently as of last year is when i switched to the above cpu,board and ram.at the time i had a gtx 970.i recently got the 1080ti.i thought maybe the gpu was the issue but i still have the freezing problem.i was gonna replace both ssd's thinking because i haven't changed them yet it has something to do with them.everything is up to date as far as firmware and driver updates.im kinda lost.

another issue i had idk if it has anything to do with it is i was playing doom on ultra with the 1080ti and i was still getting screen tearing.dont know if its linked but figured id throw it in there.

ps:i know im shitty at closing out threads when ive gotten help in the past but trust me i appreciate everyone that helps on here.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Infracted - When people are trying to get help, trolling does not.
    Last edited by chazus; 2018-01-11 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    When you upgraded the GPU did you either use DDU to make sure all remnants of the old driver were gone or do a fresh install of Windows? If not, I would recommend DDU and re-install drivers as the first thing to check as it's pretty quick and easy and solves a lot more problems than you would think.
    yes fresh driver install with the nvidia clean install but cant hurt to use ddu

yes fresh driver install with the nvidia clean install but cant hurt to use ddu
    It does sound more like a RAM problem, but hey, this is far easier to check first so doesn't hurt really.

a lil update...i ran prime 95 for a few hours no errors.another thing i remembered that would cause my computer to mess up and i only forgot about it cause i dont play wow any more.when i had my 970 and with the 1080ti if i had windowed full screen wow in one monitor and netflix fullscreen in the other one it would cause my comp to crash.it would make a high pitched noise then the screen would go black and id have to push and hold the power button to get out of it.im sure its all connected.so the only orignal pieces i have are the case and powersupply everything else has been replaced so idk.

another thing i was just saying all this stuff in the thread to a friend and he said he has the same wow playing issue except with youtube.
    Last edited by psychokilla187; 2018-01-15 at 09:11 PM.

a lil update...i ran prime 95 for a few hours no errors.another thing i remembered that would cause my computer to mess up and i only forgot about it cause i dont play wow any more.when i had my 970 and with the 1080ti if i had windowed full screen wow in one monitor and netflix fullscreen in the other one it would cause my comp to crash.it would make a high pitched noise then the screen would go black and id have to push and hold the power button to get out of it.im sure its all connected.so the only orignal pieces i have are the case and powersupply everything else has been replaced so idk.

another thing i was just saying all this stuff in the thread to a friend and he said he has the same wow playing issue except with youtube.
    What PSU are you useing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    What PSU are you useing ?
    corsair 850watt(overkill i know didnt know what i was doing)gold rating and it was purchased 6 years ago

ok so to update on this ive built a whole new computer i only kept my gpu,ram and one ssd.so far no issues.

15 8600k 5ghz oc'd 1.31v avx offset 2
    msi 1080ti
    16gb gskill trident rgb
    m.2 250gb samsung 960 pro
    corsair 750w gold power supply
    corsair 780t case
    corsair h150i pro cooler

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    How old has your Windows installation? Try installing again.

Infracted for thread necro - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2018-03-26 at 06:14 PM.