Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lewdest View Post
    Go look at the committee that runs it. It's all women pushing their weird fanfic garbage onto it. I'm not saying that Star Wars can't have a female lead, but they added a character that's literally a pink hair SJW and they made Leia fly like Superman. Also some fat janitor lady accompanies Finn on a mission for some reason and it takes up 30% of the movie, and then she tries to kill him because of love or some crap? God it's just awful. Also, make sure you kill off every white male that ever existed in the universe.
    "I'm not saying I'm racist/sexist, but..."

1. Hondo wasn't by any means "a pink hair SJW." What exactly did she do that was "SJW?" Her defining characteristic was strict adherence to rules, loyalty to Leia, and an inability to cope with new ideas. At no point in the entire movie did she do anything that was part of any creed for social justice. Except, like, be a resistance leader, which is the story of the entire Star Wars franchise. And even if she was any of what you claim she is by throwing the utterly reductive pejorative of "SJW" on her, she also died in the end to make up for the fallout of her horrendous judgment calls, which would make it a critical view of such people, anyway.

2. Your entire view of woman is perfectly illustrated in how you reduce Rose to being "a fat janitor lady," when she wasn't fat by any stretch of the imagination, she just wasn't a cover girl for Playboy. She represents the average person, much like many of Star Wars' characters. She's a working-class young adult who is one of the only people in the end that is able to define what makes the resistance different from the First Order and everything that came before it. And yes, the movie was obviously divided into 3 parallel stories, one of which Finn was the protagonist and Rose was a secondary character, so of course she would be in 30% of it?

If it was her purple hair that set you off, reminder that the characters live in a galaxy full of fish people, mini bear people, Big Foot as a secondary character, clone armies, and magic.

3. Rose doesn't "try to kill" Finn, she literally saves him in the end from committing a kamikaze attack on the laser canon.

Can movies only have characters that appeal to mass sex appeal? Can they only have characters that are white and male, or white and female, and conform those characters to the female only being a supporting role each time and having a 0 waist size and men being the burly musclejock meathead leaders? Can a universal story not have main characters that represent other vast demographics in the world that actually represent the whole world and not just where you live/came from? Idk. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the issue with that.
    Last edited by Magistrate; 2018-01-10 at 11:15 PM.

Well, when it first came out back in '77 it was a phenom that seemed unprecedented. And the fact that the 2nd movie played far better just reinforced how much those that wanted to feel that magic...that desire for some truly epic adventure...(Yoda condemning that feeling...just made it more real)

We're not getting that anymore.
    It's just saccharine feels for the sake of merchandising.

where has the magic gone? hmm? is it over there? nope. what about over here? nope.

OH it's inside all the people that just love sci fi and star wars in general.

maybe you just don't like star wars anymore.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Probably because old Star Wars IP was written to be entertaining and Disney Star Wars IP is written by a social justice committee to be political commentary.
    If you've watched the previous SW movies and not thought they're political commentary, you're both deaf and blind.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Hey. I’m second gen Star Wars. Episodes 1-3 were my time for Star Wars leading into both Clone Wars series. Once thing I feel Star Wars has lost is the magic feel.

I felt it in Episode 4-6, certainly 1-3, all the clone wars and def incl games like Star Wars the Old Republic (KoTOR & SWTOR) who really did a great job capturing it all. But I must say. I haven’t felt that magic feel in any of the new ones. Not 7, Rogue 1 or 8 altho I really enjoyed Rogue 1 & 8 something feels missing.

One thing I certainly missed was futuristic looking civilisations and worlds and high octane force user action. New films have great story but feel bland and like they are afraid to move on. Did we need 7-9 to be fighting as rebel underdogs again? Had enough of that for SW Rebels and 4-6 did it well enough. It’s also a bit depressing to see nothing changed in the galaxy after Emperors defeat it’s like they just replaced everything like for like and told the same story which while better was like WHY?

Wonder if we have any 3rd gen Star Wars folk where Episode 7,8 and Rogue 1 are your first experiences of Star Wars and you’ve since gone back and watched everything.
    You grew older. It's probably as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Probably because old Star Wars IP was written to be entertaining and Disney Star Wars IP is written by a social justice committee to be political commentary.
    That's my take on it. That plus over saturation. There is no product in the world you won't get tired of if you see too much of it.

I do think the original 3 Star wars movies were also political commentary though (as well as that artsy film Lucas did that preceded SW- that was part of what Lucas did)........ it was a little more subtle and tastefully done.

In Ep3 of the prequel trilogy, when Anakin says "You are either with me or against me" was definitely a stab at Bush II (when he told nations if they aren't with us they are against us in terrorism).

Will be interesting how Disney manages it at this point. They have the last movie of this trilogy, the Han Solo movie, the Obi movie and there is another trilogy in the works.......

Sequels are a problem for Disney, it's well established. None of those princess movies they made have successful sequels. This is not really surprising for them. I wonder of they anticipated it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    Hey. I’m second gen Star Wars. Episodes 1-3 were my time for Star Wars leading into both Clone Wars series. Once thing I feel Star Wars has lost is the magic feel.

I felt it in Episode 4-6, certainly 1-3, all the clone wars and def incl games like Star Wars the Old Republic (KoTOR & SWTOR) who really did a great job capturing it all. But I must say. I haven’t felt that magic feel in any of the new ones. Not 7, Rogue 1 or 8 altho I really enjoyed Rogue 1 & 8 something feels missing.

One thing I certainly missed was futuristic looking civilisations and worlds and high octane force user action. New films have great story but feel bland and like they are afraid to move on. Did we need 7-9 to be fighting as rebel underdogs again? Had enough of that for SW Rebels and 4-6 did it well enough. It’s also a bit depressing to see nothing changed in the galaxy after Emperors defeat it’s like they just replaced everything like for like and told the same story which while better was like WHY?

Wonder if we have any 3rd gen Star Wars folk where Episode 7,8 and Rogue 1 are your first experiences of Star Wars and you’ve since gone back and watched everything.
    Why is this soulless, capitalist perfection without magic?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkins View Post
    "I'm not saying I'm racist/sexist, but..."

1. Hondo wasn't by any means "a pink hair SJW." What exactly did she do that was "SJW?" Her defining characteristic was strict adherence to rules, loyalty to Leia, and an inability to cope with new ideas. At no point in the entire movie did she do anything that was part of any creed for social justice. Except, like, be a resistance leader, which is the story of the entire Star Wars franchise. And even if she was any of what you claim she is by throwing the utterly reductive pejorative of "SJW" on her, she also died in the end to make up for the fallout of her horrendous judgment calls, which would make it a critical view of such people, anyway.
    I'd even take issue with "inability to cope with new ideas". She told Poe his idea was a stupid-ass idea, and that there was a plan, and didn't give him information because he'd already royally fucked up, gotten his squadron killed, and gotten demoted for it.

I'll also note that it's a plan that was working flawlessly, until Poe and friends fucked it up. If they had done nothing, the Resistance would've escaped intact. Instead, they got half the Resistance killed and the First Order knows they're still active and they no longer have a base to rebuild from. They lost that because Poe was a stupid ass who didn't trust his command structure.

2. Your entire view of woman is perfectly illustrated in how you reduce Rose to being "a fat janitor lady," when she wasn't fat by any stretch of the imagination, she just wasn't a cover girl for Playboy. She represents the average person, much like many of Star Wars' characters. She's a working-class young adult who is one of the only people in the end that is able to define what makes the resistance different from the First Order and everything that came before it. And yes, the movie was obviously divided into 3 parallel stories, one of which Finn was the protagonist and Rose was a secondary character, so of course she would be in 30% of it?
    She wasn't even a janitor. She's a mechanic. And you're right; she isn't fat, she's just not a 6' tall anorexic model type. This girl isn't "fat", by any rational standard;

3. Rose doesn't "try to kill" Finn, she literally saves him in the end from committing a kamikaze attack on the laser canon.
    I seriously don't see how that wasn't obvious. He was going to nobly kill himself, Rose said "that's stupid" and saved his stupid ass.

Quote Originally Posted by lewdest View Post
    Go look at the committee that runs it. It's all women pushing their weird fanfic garbage onto it. I'm not saying that Star Wars can't have a female lead, but they added a character that's literally a pink hair SJW and they made Leia fly like Superman. Also some fat janitor lady accompanies Finn on a mission for some reason and it takes up 30% of the movie, and then she tries to kill him because of love or some crap? God it's just awful. Also, make sure you kill off every white male that ever existed in the universe.
    are you sure that this is actually the case and you're not just biased with what you saw in the committee?

the pink haired SJW is not even a SJW you just assume so by the color of the hair, in fact she does not express any opinion on any social matter, all she does is her duty to the resistance

the Leia scene was a bit of weird indeed but it would be no less weird if Luke did it, in fact Leia doing it makes more sense, the purpose of the scene was to reveal that Leia has been force sensitive all along

as for Rose what exactly is the problem? that she's female, asian, 'fat' or what? if it was a white male fit janitor would that be cool? the point of that character is that even humble characters without Han solo's shooting/piloting skills or the skywalker over 9000 force sensitivity can still make a difference and she was cool and funny aswell, btw why on earth do you assume she tried to kill Finn? she hit his vehicle to alter it's course and save him from the beam, not to kill him?...

to Han solo: you instantly assume he dies for being a white male while he actually dies to make some room for new characters, can you imagine him babysitting the protagonists for another movie? that would ruin their development, if you want to be cynical you can add his contract too, way too high

seriously did you even watch the movie or were you just raging for your 'SJW' in the cinema?

Star Wars was Ruined Forever when The Last Jedi came out in 2017!
    Star Wars was Ruined Forever when The Force Awakens came out in 2015!
    Star Wars was Ruined Forever when Disney bought it in 2012!
    Star Wars was Ruined Forever when the Prequels happened in 1999!
    Star Wars was Ruined Forever when the Special Editions mangled the originals in 1997!
    Star Wars was Ruined Forever when Caravan of Courage came out in 1984!
    Star Wars was Ruined Forever when Lucas invented Ewoks in 1983!
    Star Wars was Ruined Forever when the Holiday Special came out in 1978!

And so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    She wasn't even a janitor. She's a mechanic. And you're right; she isn't fat, she's just not a 6' tall anorexic model type. This girl isn't "fat", by any rational standard;

Hellooooooo nurse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    *looks around*

I like the new movies.

*runs away*
    I'm with this guy.

What a lot of people can't seem to understand is that if the magic is gone for them it doesn't mean that it's gone universally, for everyone. I personally still feel the same magic watching the new movies as I did when I watched episodes 1-6 as a kid.

Overwhelming amount of contrived plot points, underwhelming old character storylines (in new movies).
    Mary Sue main character, generic new characters.

Overall new movies are superficial and lack "soul" of older movies. It was fun feeling like you had a window into another universe on the old movies and your watching it play out, now it feels like a ridiculous theme park ride. Honestly similar to what happened to WoW.

A forced female character for the sake of having a female character, a shitty villain, and shitting on years of (mostly) good EU content that could have been used instead of whatever the fuck this shit is.

God dammit I just realized the Han Solo books will be thrown out for some stupid bullshit Disney writing.

Again, this is a reminder to keep GenOT nonsense out of this subforum. I don't have a problem with the discussion of the films and how they're made and specific story points - but leave the conspiracy theories in your own head.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    Considering Kathleen Kennedy was beside George Lucas during the entire process of the original trilogy...no?
    "The force is female."
    Firing directors left and right cause of 'creative differences'.

Yeah, I'm sure she's just looking out for Lucas' creation.

Quote Originally Posted by DasThunderFunk View Post
    A forced female character for the sake of having a female character, a shitty villain, and shitting on years of (mostly) good EU content that could have been used instead of whatever the fuck this shit is. God dammit I just realized the Han Solo books will be thrown out for some stupid bullshit Disney writing.
    Well, I guess the "Expanded Universe" is going to get a lot bigger.
    And hopefully ignore the shit going on that Disney is pushing.

10+ Year Old Account
    A forced female character for the sake of having a female character,
    What? Of the four Star Wars film story arcs we've had, two have been male (Anakin, Luke) and two have been female (Rey, Jin Erso)

a 50/50 gender split of protagonists seems pretty normal to me.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I don't think it's disappeared, but I also don't mire myself in it to the point where I let my headcanon impact it...

A forced female character for the sake of having a female character, a shitty villain, and shitting on years of (mostly) good EU content that could have been used instead of whatever the fuck this shit is.

God dammit I just realized the Han Solo books will be thrown out for some stupid bullshit Disney writing.
    ''Mostly good'' EU content?

I'm sorry, apart from Zahn's handiwork all the EU stuff I've read or seen was absolute trash that makes TLJ (a fairly mediocre film) look like a masterpiece.

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    The new movies have brought back the magic for me in a big way. I'm really hyped for the SW Universe at the moment.

I watch A New Hope regularily. It's my go-to-movie when I'm sick, depressed or I just want to chillax, and it always brings me the tingles even after all these years.