Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb DYNAMIC login screen : Is it possible ?

Hi all,

Fist of all, this is my first threat. And I had an idea the other day, about a nice little feature and detail that they could add to the game with the progression of the story of an expansion.

The thing I wish they do in the future that would be a cool little detail is to MODIFY the login screen as the plot of the expac is evolving (With the 7.x patch, or the 8,x) like right now they could just add a few npc fightings the two demons with Legion warships advancing in the background... Or the two guards dead and the big Legion gate we're looking at for more than a year finally closed, or destroyed... That would be really cool !

Thoughts? Is it really possible to do that ? Does it cost too much time to just modify the background as the plot evolves ?
    I AM MY SCARS!
    -Illidan, Legion.

None of these reasons are, on their own, enough to really justify "why bother" but taken together I imagine such a change would not be worth the effort.

• It would require artwork to be created, approved, and deployed.
    • Each login screen would probably require a patch, assuming the design isn't being pulled via some database call
    • You run the risk of players who are behind in content seeing spoilers of what is to come
    • The Battle.net app likely minimizes the number of players exposed to the login screen anyway

Honestly I'd much rather be a bit more greedy and ask them to do more to change the world around you as the expansion progresses.

I thought it could be fun if the game remembered what your last played character was, and then show you either a horde or a alliance-specific login screen.

Or just Teldrassil on fire. That would make an amazing login screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Frood View Post
    I thought it could be fun if the game remembered what your last played character was, and then show you either a horde or a alliance-specific login screen.

I hope it's a burning Teldrassil seen through a "Night Elf Archway" seen thing, seen around some paths.

But it will probably be Lordaeron/Undercity.

Teldrassil on fire would be a huge bfa spoiler for a login screen tho...
    I AM MY SCARS!
    -Illidan, Legion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangreflamme View Post
    Teldrassil on fire would be a huge bfa spoiler for a login screen tho...
    Spoiler my ass, they literally showed artwork of a burning teldrassil and talked about it during blizzcon.

Anyone who still doesnt know about it simply didnt care enough.

Formerly known as Arafal

It'd be nice if we could choose the login screen, from any of the older expansions and musical scores. As far as it dynamically changing throughout the expansion that'd be kinda cool but might be too much dev work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isuridedes View Post
    None of these reasons are, on their own, enough to really justify "why bother" but taken together I imagine such a change would not be worth the effort.

• Each login screen would probably require a patch, assuming the design isn't being pulled via some database call
    • You run the risk of players who are behind in content seeing spoilers of what is to come
    • The Battle.net app likely minimizes the number of players exposed to the login screen anyway

Honestly I'd much rather be a bit more greedy and ask them to do more to change the world around you as the expansion progresses.
    Yes I agree on most.
    Instead they could make the login screen more animated, guards moving, birds flying, or some shots fired in the backround.

Of course it's possible, but doing so breaks the trend of many past expacs and the image becomes iconic of the expansion as a whole and its term as the most current iteration of the game. Changing it more blurs that line.

And yeah I hadn't thought about how the launcher minimizes how often we even interact with it anyway...
    Last edited by elaina; 2018-01-10 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    Spoiler my ass, they literally showed artwork of a burning teldrassil and talked about it during blizzcon.

Anyone who still doesnt know about it simply didnt care enough.
    Anyway I don't think it 's gonna be that since they always showed a "gate" or a "portal" in all their login screen. Showing Teldrassil would break this cycle... IMO they're gonna show Lordaeron gates as seen in the cinematic or something.
    I AM MY SCARS!
    -Illidan, Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frood View Post

I actually don't imagine this is that hard to accomplish. I'd actually like that a lot if they were willing to invest the resources.

But to not spoil everyone tho, they could just make the two gards appear death, and remove the green portal effect on the gate so it looks closed... That wouldn't spoil much and it would be a nice little detail for those who check all those nice little things. And as I said, I would only see one or two changes MAX per expansion (With 7.2 and 7.3) that shows slowly and in a subtle way that the "Legion" is losing. I don't think it would take THAT much time to just edit the current one they have imo.
    I AM MY SCARS!
    -Illidan, Legion.

Let us choose. Let them make two screens. One alliance, one horde. We can switch, if we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Yes I agree on most.
    Instead they could make the login screen more animated, guards moving, birds flying, or some shots fired in the backround.
    Yeah but if it's rarely seen by your average player... why invest the time and resources? I mean how often do you sit at the login screen and not login?

Deleted
    Hi all,
    Thoughts? Is it really possible to do that ? Does it cost too much time to just modify the background as the plot evolves ?
    Of course it's possible. And while it may not cost too much time, it's more or less wasted effort, I see the login screen for 2 seconds ...

This is very possible.
    But who looks at the login screen anymore...
    We all log into the battlnet app and that auto logs you in..
    Mop and before I know the logging screens. But WoD and legion. I know what they are but they arntingrained in my brain like the others. Simply cause they flash by. Only when flashing between launching game and character select. And when you DC.

Yeah it would be simple. Just new loading screen each patch. Ez pz. Not really dynamic. Just patch login screens. Efficient? No. Not really.

What i'd really like is the ability to choose my Login Screen from the previous expansion ones. Would probably just go with Vanilla's. There's very little on the technical aspect restricting this (as anyone who's been at the start of an alpha/beta can attest).

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this, I miss the days of Mount Hyjal in Cata where the world changed as you quested through, getting rid of the fire and damage done to it.

Hi all,

Fist of all, this is my first threat. And I had an idea the other day, about a nice little feature and detail that they could add to the game with the progression of the story of an expansion.

The thing I wish they do in the future that would be a cool little detail is to MODIFY the login screen as the plot of the expac is evolving (With the 7.x patch, or the 8,x) like right now they could just add a few npc fightings the two demons with Legion warships advancing in the background... Or the two guards dead and the big Legion gate we're looking at for more than a year finally closed, or destroyed... That would be really cool !

From an implementation perspective it would be easy to make and thus it wouldn't cost a lot. It just really depends whether Blizzard likes this idea or not... though I don't expect this to be ever a thing, because since we got the battle.net app, you're going to see the login screen for a couple seconds anyways (well tbh, before it wasn't that much longer).

I'm pretty sure there's still some people that watch the login screen of the game (such as me) when the expansion comes out, or just to listen to the music. Is it just worth investing the time tho...
    I AM MY SCARS!
    -Illidan, Legion.