Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GrieverXIII View Post
    Well then i don't get your point, Tim Horton's is fast food, similar to Mcdonalds. It doesn't have waiters. People give meager tip out of courtesy but its not initially intended. The "outrage" is mostly about how it makes the owners of these restaurants look like cheapskates to hold whatever little extra they get while stuck on min-wage just because the government changed it to something more livable in that province (the rents in Toronto and its nearby areas are ridiculously high).
    Is someone forcing you to live there?

Quote Originally Posted by lewdest View Post
    THEY HAVE TO MAN. and no roommates. thats not living.

Well, to start with, if you want to go to University (which a large percentage of the "no-skill slackers" you guys rage about do), yes, you have to live in the city. Ain't getting any education living in the middle of rural nowhere.

Secondly, the farther you go from the city, the cheaper living is but the less job there is in general, even min-wage jobs become rare. So a lot of people move in to find any work at all in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love me some Tim Hortons, but the only time I've ever had a pleasant experience is at the few at my campuses. The lunch ladies there will give you back your dollar instead of 95 cents, and they actually pay attention to your order and will re-make any mistakes, even if it's busy! Also a really cute girl works there and she always seems to take my order regardless of which Tims I'm at.

A lot of other Tims here are staffed by pissy old ladies and stressed out students. Maybe it's because I live close to the QEW? Lots of transient assholes ruining my customer service? REEEEEEEEE!!

These jobs won't exist for too much longer. So too bad, I guess. Customer Service in its most basic capacity is approaching its death throes. I suppose this is just another symptom.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Tim Horton's fel out of favor with Canadians a long time ago when they stopped serving fresh bakes food and switched to frozen food made at Miadstone.
    Then they change coffee suppliers, McDonalds now sells the original Tim Horton coffee and Tim Horton's sells donkey piss.

its a crap chain, living on nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I love me some Tim Hortons, but the only time I've ever had a pleasant experience is at the few at my campuses. The lunch ladies there will give you back your dollar instead of 95 cents, and they actually pay attention to your order and will re-make any mistakes, even if it's busy! Also a really cute girl works there and she always seems to take my order regardless of which Tims I'm at.

A lot of other Tims here are staffed by pissy old ladies and stressed out students. Maybe it's because I live close to the QEW? Lots of transient assholes ruining my customer service? REEEEEEEEE!!

These jobs won't exist for too much longer. So too bad, I guess. Customer Service in its most basic capacity is approaching its death throes. I suppose this is just another symptom.
    Honestly i got nothing agains't the idea of full automation of these jobs, but having done it myself, i'm really curious to see how they will solve a lot of the problems with this. There's more to restaurants (fast-food or otherwise) than just cashing in the money (wich can already be solved with self-checkouts).

Everyone is talking like the giant Ipads Mcdonalds installed in some of their restaurants is going to kill these jobs but the one near where i live has them and is still buzzing with people and have recruitment posters on almost every wall, my friend's younger sister works there and they're almost always short on staff.

Figure it out.

This whole deal reminds me how people in the '80s thought we'd have flying cars and hoverboards by now. Sorry but technology don't move THAT fast.
    Last edited by GrieverXIII; 2018-01-11 at 03:50 AM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    its almost like they arent worth $15/hr. oh well, some will get the raise, some will just lose their jobs all together. good on hortons though for not taking it on their backs and pushing against it where they can.
    Yeah, good on those rich assholes for stomping on the middle and lower class. Sure warms the cockles of my blackened, soulless heart to see them kick people who are just trying to get a better wage to live off of. Fuck their tips, their breaks, and their benefits, the destitute moochers! Keep on keepin' on, wealthy sociopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Yeah, good on those rich assholes for stomping on the middle and lower class. Sure warms the cockles of my blackened, soulless heart to see them kick people who are just trying to get a better wage to live off of. Fuck their tips, their breaks, and their benefits, the destitute moochers! Keep on keepin' on, wealthy sociopaths.
    Basically, yeah. Anyone talking like people who actively work their 40 hours as part of the society are some sort of sub-human trash who doesn't deserve a livable wage live in a cloud made of money and are out of touch with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagdar View Post
    They aren't even supposed to get tip, they don't have a waiter's salary they have a real fixed salary. it's not legal to collect tip with their type of work.
    Who told you this? Youre very wrong. Its not illegal to tip someone who makes above server wage lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh huh, cant afford rent but has enough money to move cities? Youre delusional.

Basically, yeah. Anyone talking like people who actively work their 40 hours as part of the society are some sort of sub-human trash who doesn't deserve a livable wage live in a cloud made of money and are out of touch with reality.
    In what way?

Why does someone deserve to have things just because they have been doing things?

The problem here is your entire argument is based off of emotions not logic so its pretty easy to pry apart. I can think of some logical arguments for you but I haven't seen any listed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post

Why does someone deserve to have things just because they have been doing things?
    Because there's a point if the wages are too low people will just stay on welfare, among other things.

What does society gain from keeping people actively working into poverty exactly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly i got nothing agains't the idea of full automation of these jobs, but having done it myself, i'm really curious to see how they will solve a lot of the problems with this. There's more to restaurants (fast-food or otherwise) than just cashing in the money (wich can already be solved with self-checkouts).

Everyone is talking like the giant Ipads Mcdonalds installed in some of their restaurants is going to kill these jobs but the one near where i live has them and is still buzzing with people and have recruitment posters on almost every wall, my friend's younger sister works there and they're almost always short on staff.

Figure it out.

This whole deal reminds me how people in the '80s thought we'd have flying cars and hoverboards by now. Sorry but technology don't move THAT fast.
    I have to imagine there will be a few full-time "engineers" always working. Even at 2x or 3x the pay (like that would even happen) they're still saving so much on wages, benefits, training, etc per store.

I also have to imagine that a fully automatized fleet of stores will never happen. No one's pushing for automation in every customer service location everywhere. In fact, refuting automation could even be seen as a plus to your business in the future. "Always have your order taken by a human, because we care."
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

no one deserves a "living" wage. which btw 15 is well above nearly everywhere. you can "live" much lower then that. people just want handouts for being low skilled, lazy, and complacent.
    Hmm people just want hand outs? So that's bad to you? But company getting handouts via being subsidized by the federal government programs that supplement their too poor to afford living employees is fine?

Also... at what point does working full time hours weekly turn into "hand outs" that's just retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

at the very least that would be a small improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

you can get food and shelter for well below min wage. keep trying. no if they stay at that min paying job, then thats on them. they dont deserve a penny more then what they agreed to.
    Minimum wage here pays about 13k

Rent averages about 1100 for a one bedroom in a so so to bad area which already puts you at 13,200 and that's before we take into account necessities such as phone, food, travel. Your head is firmly where the sun doesn't shine.

Because there's a point if the wages are too low people will just stay on welfare, among other things.

What does society gain from keeping people actively working into poverty exactly?
    This assumes we allow welfare. As for your question it allows products to be made cheaply and allow a better standard of living for those who have skills to sustain themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Minimum wage here pays about 13k

Rent averages about 1100 for a one bedroom in a so so to bad area which already puts you at 13,200 and that's before we take into account necessities such as phone, food, travel. Your head is firmly where the sun doesn't shine.
    In New Jersey? $8.44 ($17,555/y @ full time) is the minimum wage, and it took 3 seconds to find multiple apartments below $500 a month.

I think its hilarious people are such fucking morons to think franchise owners are billionaires, and have no idea what the hell they are rambling about in terms of profits or costs of running a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    In New Jersey? $8.44 ($17,555/y @ full time) is the minimum wage, and it took 3 seconds to find multiple apartments below $500 a month.
    Welcome to the hoooooooooooooooooood

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    This assumes we allow welfare. As for your question it allows products to be made cheaply and allow a better standard of living for those who have skills to sustain themselves.
    Well Canada has welfare and this thread is about what's going on here.

Besides, by your logic society would be better if slavery was still allowed? Would sure as hell increase the standard of living of the people benefiting from it no?

The problem with your argument is that it seem to assume that even a 15$/hour wage is anywhere near what most "skilled" people earn, when its not.

Unless you spend your 4 years of College studying Art History or something along these lines, you will make much more than that off the bat and will be able to sustain yourself much better than anyone on minimum wage.

Nobody believes they deserve to afford a Mercedes and a huge house for working at Tim Horton's. But being able to pay for rent and covering your base needs is something that a full time job should guarantee in an evolved society.

It keeps the money moving as well, if these people make a decent wage, they pay more taxes, which helps everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are "Canadians Mad"? It's one franchise, not the entire company.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Then what does society gain from just letting a mass chunk of people go homeless and/or starve?

Where is your ''logic'' there? You gonna come back with some Darwin's shit or something?
    Pretty much, yeah.

If people are not useful and cannot provide to society why should society provide for them? Is it our fate to simply grow until collapse and we all starve together?

- - - Updated - - -

Well Canada has welfare and this thread is about what's going on here.

Besides, by your logic society would be better if slavery was still allowed? Would sure as hell increase the standard of living of the people benefiting from it no?

The problem with your argument is that it seem to assume that even a 15$/hour wage is anywhere near what most "skilled" people earn, when its not.

Unless you spend your 4 years of College studying Art History or something along these lines, you will make much more than that off the bat and will be able to sustain yourself much better than anyone on minimum wage.

Nobody believes they deserve to afford a Mercedes and a huge house for working at Tim Horton's. But being able to pay for rent and covering your base needs is something that a full time job should guarantee in an evolved society.

It keeps the money moving as well, if these people make a decent wage, they pay more taxes, which helps everyone.
    You pose a interesting question. Would the poor benefit from slavery? Obviously not anything like the american system but what of that of ancient Greece?

I dislike the idea of constantly providing welfare for people because eventually it ensures that everyone's living standard regardless of skill is reduced. It is charity collected at a knife point.