Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Washington renames Russian embassy street after slain opposition MP

Washington DC has renamed the street the Russian embassy sits on after a murdered Russian opposition politician.

The city council voted to rename the street outside Russia's embassy complex after Boris Nemtsov, who was shot outside the Kremlin in 2015.

A statement from the council said the decision to honour the "slain democracy activist" passed unanimously.

Russian politicians criticised the move, with one MP labelling it a "dirty trick".

The decision was specifically targeted at "the portion of Wisconsin Avenue in front of the Russian Embassy", according to the Washington council's statement.

Russia's Interfax news agency quoted the leader of the nationalist LDPR party, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, as saying US authorities "specifically want to play dirty tricks in front of the Russian Embassy".

Another politician from the Communist Party, Dmitry Novikov, told the agency: "The US authorities have long been absorbed in their own game of interfering in Russian internal affairs."

Mr Nemtsov, a vocal critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin, was shot in February 2015 while walking home from a restaurant in Moscow.

A small memorial near where he was killed has frequently been vandalised, or cleared away by street cleaners late at night.

His daughter, Zhanna, travelled to Washington DC in early December to advocate for the name change.

"The current Russian political regime wants to eradicate the memory of my father, since it believes - correctly - that symbols are important and that they can potentially facilitate and inspire change," she told the council.

She said her father was "an open-minded patriot of Russia" who deserved to be commemorated.

"For now, we cannot do it in Russia because of unprecedented resistance on the part of the Russian authorities. But we have a chance to do it here - and here, it will be very difficult to dismantle," she said.

Five Chechen men were convicted over Boris Nemtsov's killing in mid-2017, but family and supporters of the slain politician believe the person who ordered the murder remains at large.

The Washington DC decision comes a day after Turkey similarly renamed the street the UAE embassy sits upon in Ankara, naming it after a military commander at the centre of a diplomatic spat.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42640239

There you go, @Hooked. Ahahaha.

Pretty amusing bit of politics, really. Well except for the bit where a guy got killed for opposing Putin in a tragic unrelated total coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here are a few more ideas for more streets:
    https://larussophobe.wordpress.com/putinmurders/
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Here are a few more ideas for more streets:
    https://larussophobe.wordpress.com/putinmurders/
    I'm sure all those "disappearances" were entirely coincidental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

That's actually some pretty great trolling on the part of the city government of Washington DC.

This news made my day. And the Russian outrage makes it even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Poor Voronezh.

(Voronezh is a Russian city that became a meme in that the "asymmetric responses" that Russian come up with for all kinds of things mostly target their own citizens. Whenever someone does anything to spite the Russian ruling elite in any way there is a recurring joke that they are going to respond by bombing Voronezh. To show them!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Was there Russian outrage over it?

Seems like a pointlessly petty move, especially given that Nemtsov killing has a tenuous connection to Putin and Kremlin at best. It is far more likely that he was killed by the Chechen president going rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    ... by the Chechen president going rogue.
    = Kremlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I agree with the sentiment but I don't think mayors should be conducting foreign policy.
    The glory of freedom.

We don't have to bow to another nations tyrant even if our incompetent president wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    = Kremlin.
    Missed the "going rogue" part?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I agree with the sentiment but I don't think mayors should be conducting foreign policy.
    True, but mayors have the right to name streets.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The whole "Country X renames street in front of Country Y's embassy" thing is pretty played-out by now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha he calls it a dirty trick. Someone needs his safe space away from offensively named streets!
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's actually some pretty great trolling on the part of the city government of Washington DC.
    Not very original though since they took the whole idea from Turkey.

I would guess since Putin loves symmetrical responses something will get renamed to another police victim for US Embassy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Not very original though since they took the whole idea from Turkey.
    It's still damn funny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    I would guess since Putin loves symmetrical responses something will get renamed to another police victim for US Embassy.
    It's adorable that you are trying to equate the two. Now, I'm certainly not one to justify the abuse of power by police officers, but I'd be an idiot to think the two are the same. One is the killing of a person by a poorly-trained officer who doesn't react well. The other is a murder ordered by a President. Let's not forget, you actively support the latter.

It's adorable that you are trying to equate the two.
    Both are low-level trolling that is intended to annoy diplomats, so it would be quite equal, yes.

Now, I'm certainly not one to justify the abuse of power by police officers, but I'd be an idiot to think the two are the same.
    If you would want anything but trolling out of that, they could donate same $ used for renaming to any random initiative "against Putin".

Both are low-level trolling that is intended to annoy diplomats, so it would be quite equal, yes.

If you would want anything but trolling out of that, they could donate same $ used for renaming to any random initiative "against Putin".
    I have no problem trolling Putin, he's a murderous autocrat. Man, I'm sure glad I don't support someone like that.

I have no problem trolling Putin, he's a murderous autocrat. Man, I'm sure glad I don't support someone like that.
    And i have no problem with Russians calling out regime that murders their own citizens.

You are against that, yes? So surely you would support such initiative from Russia?

And i have no problem with Russians calling out regime that murders their own citizens.

You are against that, yes? So surely you would support such initiative from Russia?
    I'm all for Russia calling out the authoritarianism of another country, I just wish they would do something about their leader, a man who has political enemies jailed, beaten, and murdered.

It's a shame you support such tactics. I'm going to go ahead and stick with freedom on this one.