Poll: Do you like the current heirloom system?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karzerus View Post
    Here's my altogether superior solution:

Add 3 toys in.

Toy #1: Grants +20% experience. 2 hour duration buff. Costs 10,000g to buy.
    Toy #2: Grants +35% experience. 2 hour duration buff. Costs 20,000g to buy.
    Toy #3: Grants +50% experience. 2 hour duration buff. Costs 50,000g to buy.

Remove Heirlooms. Min/maxers get a significant increase to leveling speed with a simple toggle. Non-heirloom gear becomes relevant again. Professions at low levels become relevant again.

That's it. That's all you have to do to fix the situation. But this will never happen because the WoW devs all obviously have IQ levels above 300 and us dirty plebs could never understand their erudite minds.
    Or alternately, people who want to level slowly can not use heirloom. Low level gear will NEVER be relevant because you won't spend any amount of time in it before it becomes worthless. Heirloom fixes this problem and maybe they should add heirloom gear without the XP boost to the game to shut up the 1% of people who say they want to level slower and who actually do it instead of just talking about how great it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cellineth View Post
    What a retarded claim. Loads of people have complained that leveling is boring as fuck when you oneshot mobs and outlevel zones half way through a single quest chain.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't want to actually play the game, buy a boost. Pretty simple tbh.
    Boosts are expensive... You could buy a whole other new game for the cost of a boost. I mean right now I could buy Civilisation 6 and 2 DLC's for £12 OR I could buy a level 100 boost for £49...... Awesome. Even in WOW gold terms it costs about 1.5 million gold worth of WOW tokens to buy a level 100 boost on EU.

And it's not about not wanting to play the game either.. I quite enjoy playing the game thanks. Just don't think it's going to be that much more fun getting a few more gear upgrades every now and again which I will still replace before long anyway.

Keep them as transmog only. If they don't want to lose the XP buffs, put them on the slot, not the item.
    Make looting while leveling fun again.

Add 3 toys in.

Remove Heirlooms. Min/maxers get a significant increase to leveling speed with a simple toggle. Non-heirloom gear becomes relevant again. Professions at low levels become relevant again.

That's it. That's all you have to do to fix the situation. But this will never happen because the WoW devs all obviously have IQ levels above 300 and us dirty plebs could never understand their erudite minds.
    Or just *gasp* DON'T use them? Seems super simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hyphnos View Post
    Or alternately, people who want to level slowly can not use heirloom. Low level gear will NEVER be relevant because you won't spend any amount of time in it before it becomes worthless. Heirloom fixes this problem and maybe they should add heirloom gear without the XP boost to the game to shut up the 1% of people who say they want to level slower and who actually do it instead of just talking about how great it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanfall View Post
    Or just *gasp* DON'T use them? Seems super simple to me.
    This argument didn't work for flying mounts and it doesn't work for heirlooms. There's a reason flying was restricted and only becomes available in the later stages of an expansion. People always select the option of least resistance. This isn't about people, but the health of the game. Your arguments are from a perspective of pure ignorance in game design.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    They could have just gone with a potion, a scroll or an enchant for XP % increases.
    And how that is going to compensate for gear levels?

There's no point with another stat squish going out. They're already nerfing Heirlooms scaling rate and a stat squish basically makes gear worthless. For example people using BC leveling gear into Cata content because items in Wrath aren't upgrades.

If anything it's time to buff the bonus experience on them so you can level as fast as before 7.3.5, though I don't mind the difficulty increase.

This is an opportunity for Blizzard to properly please two groups of players; those who want a closer-to-vanilla style leveling experience simply don't use heirlooms, and those who want to level MODERATELY fast can use heirlooms. Instead they seem to be going toward the slower-for-everyone approach, which is kinda annoying.

The quests scaling with level to the end of expansions basically removes the problems that leveling fast currently have - you can't outlevel a zone in 7.3.5 until you're done with that continent. There's not much reason to make 20-60 take 60% longer other than padding out play time before you get where you want to be.

Add 3 toys in.

Yeah, because it's totally reasonable for people to be needing gear in dungeons over a non heirloom player when they are going to replace it in 15 minutes, and professions will totally be relevant and worth doing when, in the time it would take you to gather mats, you'd have leveled up a couple times and could do a dungeon for gear scaled to your new level instead.

Every heirloom I have, outside of the Hellscream weapons, is upgraded to scale to 110.

Maybe if I could get a refund for all of those tokens, sure.

Also, I'd like all the time back from the ones I farmed that weren't buyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Yeah, because it's totally reasonable for people to be needing gear in dungeons over a non heirloom player when they are going to replace it in 15 minutes, and professions will totally be relevant and worth doing when, in the time it would take you to gather mats, you'd have leveled up a couple times and could do a dungeon for gear scaled to your new level instead.
    Wow, you've played with heirloom auto-gearing for so long, it's completely warped your perception of how the game works.

Sad.

Wow, you've played with heirloom auto-gearing for so long, it's completely warped your perception of how the game works.

Sad.
    No, I just understand the reality of quick leveling and slight stat upgrades in combination with people's greed.

No, I just understand the reality of quick leveling and slight stat upgrades in combination with people's greed.
    You really, really don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. No more removing content, especially content we paid quite a lot of gold/points/etc for over many years.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge12309 View Post
    One thing that leveling really lacks for me currently is gear progression, alot of people are praising older versions of wow that questing and dungeons actually felt rewarding, it felt good to get a green or blue item after finishing a long quest chain, or winning the roll in deadmines.

With 7.3.5 which fixes one of the major problems of leveling I feel like it would be a good oppertunity to change up heirlooms to get that feeling back, like Ion said at blizzcon how raidtier set items locks in 4 gearslots of your character, heirlooms do that for 10 of your gearslots. While I dont think heirlooms are a bad thing, I think its a bad thing that 10 of your gearlocks are locked and there is not a single item that I have seen that is better than heirlooms at whatever level.

My suggestion is to transform Heirlooms into item enchants.
    This way looting gear while leveling will usefull again,
    You dont have to spend tons of gold for each different armour type,
    Your character doesnt look the same from lvl 1 to lvl 110,
    The enchants will atleast contain an EXP buff,
    Your friends wont get mad that you do have heirlooms and they dont, because you can enchant their items too just like how enchanting works right now,
    Other (new) players wont get obliberated when entering a battleground or dungeon.

It also fits more into the game fantasy IMO, right now pulling infinite overpowered items out of your butt at level 1 feels really dumb, but enchanting items with spells and wisdoms that you earned on your higher level character isnt so bad.

Id like to hear your opinions or different ideas

EDIT:
    Discussing DESIGN of heirlooms, not wether I LIKE them or not
    I suggest you edit your title to "is it time to redesign heirlooms" or some such. Some of us have leveled 40+ characters, so anything that makes us think of leveling any slower than we currently do will be unacceptable. So your current title will cause a knee jerk reaction of "No" or worse.

I would love the idea of a slot enchantment, so no matter what you put in there it will receive the bonus +XP and a little power on the side as well. The fact that so many slots are never changed until you hit max level (or near max level) can get a little boring.

- - - Updated - - -

This argument didn't work for flying mounts and it doesn't work for heirlooms. There's a reason flying was restricted and only becomes available in the later stages of an expansion. People always select the option of least resistance. This isn't about people, but the health of the game. Your arguments are from a perspective of pure ignorance in game design.
    The ignorance in game design is that WoW is about leveling. There's a million games on the market that are about leveling. WoW's not one of them. WoW's longevity and repeat business is largely due to end game content, which is completely separate from Leveling.

Or to say...

Most of these games I'm talking about are about progression. WoW is included in that, so I'm not saying it's not about progression. It's just that WoW uses a different progression than most games.

In most games progression equals leveling. In WoW progression equals end-game gearing. So if Blizzard understands that, they will try to remove hurdles from the leveling process which is counterproductive to the end-game gearing process. Then the only question becomes, is there a way for WoW to cater to both types of players. Can Blizzard make WoW interesting to people who enjoy leveling while not forcing end-game progression players to jump through more of what they perceive as hurdles and stumbling blocks to get to what they enjoy.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2018-01-12 at 03:33 AM.

You really, really don't.
    I would love to hear what reality you live in where people stop and level crafting so that they can farm mats for a piece of gear they are going to completely out-level in an hour, when they can grab scaling gear from dungeon runs. The same world where someone with heirloom buff doesn't need on dungeon gear over a regular person, despite the fact that said gear will also be out-leveled extremely quickly.

Herald of the Titans Putin-Chan's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamov View Post
    they should have just made it a tabard.
    I agree with this, just have a BOA tabard/shirt that gives a 50% xp gained boost.
    You could have the world in the palm of your hands
    You still might drop it

Heirlooms need to be expanded to fill every slot, ESPECIALLY with the upcoming retarded changes to leveling.

I would love to hear what reality you live in where people stop and level crafting so that they can farm mats for a piece of gear they are going to completely out-level in an hour, when they can grab scaling gear from dungeon runs. The same world where someone with heirloom buff doesn't need on dungeon gear over a regular person, despite the fact that said gear will also be out-leveled extremely quickly.
    You seem confused. The entire point of 7.3.5 is opening up questing in the world as a competitive alternative, rather than just spamming dungeons. Obviously leveling professions and crafting useful gear makes sense then if you eliminate heirlooms.

You seem confused. The entire point of 7.3.5 is opening up questing in the world as a competitive alternative, rather than just spamming dungeons. Obviously leveling professions and crafting useful gear makes sense then if you eliminate heirlooms.
    Yeah, it makes a lot of sense...if you like leveling. Otherwise, it's just another thing holding an end-game player back from end-gaming.