Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Maybe Staten Island should sue Manhattan for dumping all their garbage there. Or the Hudson Valley can sue the city for stealing water

Congrats on comparing apples to toaster ovens, Skippy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Quite frankly, I don't give a shit about that and neither do most people who rely on cars for personal transportation. The fact is, I need to be able to get around from point A to point B, and the only way to do so quickly, efficiently and reliably (and affordably) is cars. Cars require fuel. Nothing can change that fact. So until such a time comes that something as reliable and cheap as a car that runs on fuel comes along, I will continue to purchase gas for my car as a necessity of life.

What oil companies have claimed about global warming is completely and utterly irrelevant and does nothing to change the realities of my daily life.
    So instead you care too much about what people say about oil companies, to the point of stating you would boycott those with your supply of oil, if you could.

lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Then what do we do with them? Keep letting them think they are on an equal footing? Like the geniuses that think conservative thought-leaders like Shapiro actually hold educational value in this speeches? They just keep doubling down in denial and delusion.
    In which case we need to think very hard about some very unpleasant ideas. Like whether or not democracy is ultimately a viable system for ensuring humanity's long term wellbeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Probably cost you more per mile than a car. Gas is pretty god damned amazing TBH.
    Yeah, the wind tax of 2067 really hampered my dream of sailing around the world.

7+ Year Old Account
    Coastal cities are very butthurt about the rising sea level.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Ha ha it's going to cost billions in taxpayer dollars and millions of people will be displaced.

So funny right?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    In which case we need to think very hard about some very unpleasant ideas. Like whether or not democracy is ultimately a viable system for ensuring humanity's long term wellbeing.
    I think we should let an ASI govern and solve the most intractable human problems, and let the conservative people continue to trolls themselves into oblivion.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    The Point
    _________
    Your Head

The reason why Tobacco companies got their butts handed to them by the courts is because Cigarettes are not necessary or needed, they are just dangerous. The same thing most likely won't happen to Oil companies as a whole, even if NYC is trying to.

Basically what some other posters has said is true: If NYC tries to get restrictions on Oil companies, then the oil companies will boycott. CO2-less energy needs to really become a thing before Oil and Coal can be done away with.

In other-words, your analogy doesn't really reflect on the situation at all.
    If you're insisting on this, the necessity of oil is not a constant, and it will be phased out in time. Oil companies lied to the public in order to slow this down as much as possible, and this has consequences for human health and for the economy.

Much of the economic damage we'll see through the rest of the century could have been averted at lower cost had we focused sooner on mitigation and replacement of our energy sources.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    There is a big difference between those two. People don't need to smoke, but oil is rather important for society to function. Whether climate change is real or not, and whether the oils companies lied or not is irrelevant to the fact we still need oil.
    See my reply to other guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Then ssue them for misleading the public because that'd make some sense. It's the publics responsability to not be fucking retards. You can't blame the oil companies for people letting this shit happen. The people use the oil. The people are the reason oil is being extracted to begin with. This is absurd. It's like suing sugar companies for you being fat. It makes no fucking sense.
    You can't blame the oil companies for intentionally making it difficult for the public to get informed? A snake oil salesman is not absolved of all responsibility because people believed him. Otherwise, why don't we just make scamming legal? Since, apparently, it makes no fucking sense to punish the scammers.

Let's replace 'sugar' with 'tobacco' and 'being fat' with 'getting cancer.' Suing tobacco companies for getting cancer happens, has happened, and has been relatively successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we should let an ASI govern and solve the most intractable human problems, and let the conservative people continue to trolls themselves into oblivion.
    They can't complain about a technocratic shadow government if your illuminati-bot is openly in charge. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    That life sucks after you get out of college and it was a helluva good time with the ag majors.

forgetting it's been over a decade since I was sitting there in the science building waiting for all the wannabe academics to finish their verbal scuffles over usage of terms.

I'd imagine the reason the organization was dubbed 'climate control' had little to do with a term some dude put in a paper a few years prior... but whatever. Catastrophism is what gets people into action.
    Either you're lazy or being intentionally dishonest, but CC stands for 'Climate Change.' Which is to say, both terms have been in use for a long time. Now can you accept that or are you going to keep running from reality?
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Congrats on comparing apples to toaster ovens, Skippy.
    Apt analogy in terms of absurdity. NYC has plenty of steps they could take towards alleviating their share of the problem, but fingerpointing at someone else in hopes of a moneygrab is the easier route to take.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    More butthurt than people will be when their tax dollars are used to pay for damage caused by rising sea levels?

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    If I were CEO of one of these oil companies, I would immediately cease and desist with all shipment and sales of any oil-based products to the greater NYC area and advise the CEO's of the other companies to do the same. After all, NYC clearly doesn't want to contribute to global warming, so they should be just fine without any access to gas or fuel, right?
    Next up, New York City sues food companies for selling food, sewage maintenance costs are through the roof and they don't believe its right that the people of New York City pay for this.

N. East is cool with no oil (pun?) but I mean we can just burn wood, right? Who needs oxygen anyways?
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Deleted
    Are you saying they would lose in court that oil companies for over 50 years knew the deleterious effects of carbon in the atmosphere would do?
    Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't matter in long run because nothing will change. Oil cannot be magically replaced. If there will be massive payout, prices will hike to compensate. Either way people will get screwed.

I can't imagine any NY Judge that won't gladly find in case of the Plaintiff. Case is black and white. Oil companies bad, NYC good. Next NYC will be suing coal producing states, and then livestock farmers. The rest of the US cities will follow with their lawsuits, and then the world and if we're lucky we'll put all those companies and people out of business.

Win win for everyone! We all be riding electric buses and living the Vegan dream life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Next up, New York City sues food companies for selling food, sewage maintenance costs are through the roof and they don't believe its right that the people of New York City pay for this.
    Yep, that lines up with stupidity of oil lawsuit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't matter in long run because nothing will change. Oil cannot be magically replaced. If there will be massive payout, prices will hike to compensate. Either way people will get screwed.
    And demand for energy will stay the same, accelerating the commercial viability and implementation of renewables.

15+ Year Old Account
    Of course it would matter. There's already ample evidence of coverup and outright misinformation propagated by oil companies, by you guessed it, the totally legitimate and credible conservative and libertarian think tanks and foundations, for decades. This would set a precedent that would transform the companies into 21st century renewable energy leaders, or a thorough dismantling of their assets to be sold in exchange for renewable energy investment.

I don't know what you mean in the long run oil run out it is a finite resource which is why we have to start adapting new technology for when that time comes. Even the oil companies know this which is why many are heavily invested into green energy.