Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Does doing better in bgs give you better rewards?

I just came back to legion a few months ago and started gearing up in bgs, the grind of echos of battle is very, very slow, but I find when I do high damage, and meet a lot of the bg objectives I seem to be more likely to get a 900+ item instead of 870.

Is there any truth to this or are all rewards just purely random?

Most likely purely random, although I think you are awarded more raw honor for having more kills in a BG (I forget if wow tracks objectives at all like some other games with pvp)
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

They are not purely random no, the odds are rigged. Blizzard RNG is not random at all and I predict there will be some ethical concerns eventually when people wake up. Anyway, what Blizzard has talked about is making it more likely to get items for slots you haven't gotten an item for yet, but it would be dumb to assume that the system is not rigged in more ways than that. I suspect that alongside "bad luck protection" there is also good luck protection preventing people from defeating the timesink purpose of Legion's extreme RNG.

I doubt performance factors into the "luck" though, if anything because I don't see what Blizzard would get out of covertly rewarding well performing people in random BGs.

No bonus luck based on personal performance; just the higher chance for a piece of loot if you win/come close to winning. There may be some bad luck protection though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    They are not purely random no, the odds are rigged. Blizzard RNG is not random at all and I predict there will be some ethical concerns eventually when people wake up.
    Interesting conspiracy theory there.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post
    No bonus luck based on personal performance; just the higher chance for a piece of loot if you win/come close to winning. There may be some bad luck protection though.

Wake up, sheeple! RNG is not RNG!

I mean, Blizzard have said there's bad luck protection so they've pretty much admitted it's not entirely RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post

The only speculation in my post is that Blizzard does more than protect your bad luck using the same exact methods. If you choose to join the sheep in not thinking that they probably are doing more than what they have talked about, then that is on you.

Deleted
    The item level of the reward you get for a victory is random.
    But, it is possible to also get an item reward (even the higher item level version) for doing well in a BG!

When you lose Arathi Basin for example, but you capped some flags in that match chances are you still get an item.

Btw, don't forget to obliterate the Gladiator items in Dalaran. They give you 15 echoes of battle, and for 75 echoes you can buy a level 915 item of choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    The only speculation in my post is that Blizzard does more than protect your bad luck using the same exact methods. If you choose to join the sheep in not thinking that they probably are doing more than what they have talked about, then that is on you.
    They've been caught lying about a whole lot more over the years, idk why anyone thinks they wouldn't lie about RNG and drop rates. You can see it on your toons as you level/gear up how the drops go. I've said for a long time that it's anything but actually random, it's a weighted or skewed algorithm that favors Blizz so you keep at the grind.

Nope otherwise it would be like everybody is giving me everything for free all the time since no one seems to know how to play in BGs.

There are two key things based on my observations.

1. Often times a lowly geared player is more likely to receive an influx of warfoged/titanforged gear if you have low item level equipped. On the flip side it could be argued that as you increase your item level you are seeing less upgrades from warforged and titanforged gear. Which means the frequency isn't that different but it is merely the perception of it. Still something worth testing out though as it has had be curious quite a while.

2. Due to sheer complaints of receiving too many necklaces, rings and trinkets from PVP boxes I think Blizz has modified the drop chances for chest, leg, shoulder and glove pieces.

As for PVP loot boxes...I have received a box with glad gear in it from a loss and from a win I have received nada.

I think the calculation takes into consideration honor gained primarily then if it is a win or loss. A win should guarantee a box but I have been in wins with IoC that hasn't happened. This is because IoC is simply low honor whether it is a win or a loss. In comparison, AV which is high honor whether a win or loss is very likely to award better rewards.

In other words honor multiplier with the condition of winning the BG and other objectives (eg capturing flags) and killing blows really determines the RNG. This is what makes AV appealing for both Horde and Alliance where you have opportunity to gain lots of honor, objectives, and killing blows.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    They've been caught lying about a whole lot more over the years, idk why anyone thinks they wouldn't lie about RNG and drop rates. You can see it on your toons as you level/gear up how the drops go. I've said for a long time that it's anything but actually random, it's a weighted or skewed algorithm that favors Blizz so you keep at the grind.
    It is indeed weighted or it seems to be so.

People complained about reaching soft gear caps where they could no longer progress earlier in the expansion. I do not believe it is purely RNG either and they do have a system that favors lowear geared players to help them 'catchup" to some predetermined soft cap in place.
    Last edited by Mafic; 2018-01-11 at 09:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Most likely purely random, although I think you are awarded more raw honor for having more kills in a BG (I forget if wow tracks objectives at all like some other games with pvp)
    You do get more honor for more kills. Basically, you get 1 honor for ever 10% of the damage needed to kill a target you did. Also a bit for healing the targets damage done, but not as much as killing the target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are not purely random no, the odds are rigged. Blizzard RNG is not random at all and I predict there will be some ethical concerns eventually when people wake up. Anyway, what Blizzard has talked about is making it more likely to get items for slots you haven't gotten an item for yet, but it would be dumb to assume that the system is not rigged in more ways than that. I suspect that alongside "bad luck protection" there is also good luck protection preventing people from defeating the timesink purpose of Legion's extreme RNG.

I doubt performance factors into the "luck" though, if anything because I don't see what Blizzard would get out of covertly rewarding well performing people in random BGs.
    I think either blizz is terrible with numbers and or the values displayed aren't true...failing multiple times in a row to get the bonus item on multiple 175+ rolls seems a little bit questionable imo lol

Deleted
    Quite the opposite actually. Going mid and ignoring objectives gives more honor than trying to win games.

Can you tell me all about chemtrails turning the frogs gay, too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    I generally agree with most of your posts, Kag, but not on this one. Blizz (Acti) spins and lies as much any big corporation today, like car makers with known defective parts or big pharma with known dangerous side-effect drugs that they only change or fix when they're forced to, and it doesn't matter how many consumers are hurt along the way.

Corporations have done this for decades as much as they can get away with. The reason is endless drive to increase profit, that's all they think of.

Many times i won and got either nothing or nothing good.

Couple of times i lost and got really good upgrades.

So yeah.
    Mage Tower Final Result:
    Dk:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:3/3 Mage:1/3 Dh:2/2 Warlock:3/3 Hunter: 3/3 Priest:3/3 Paladin:3/3 Warrior: 3/3 Rogue:3/3 Shaman:3/3 Monk:3/3 Druid: 4/4

Completely RNG based.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    I generally agree with most of your posts, Kag, but not on this one. Blizz (Acti) spins and lies as much any big corporation today, like car makers with known defective parts or big pharma with known dangerous side-effect drugs that they only change or fix when they're forced to, and it doesn't matter how many consumers are hurt along the way.

Corporations have done this for decades as much as they can get away with. The reason is endless drive to increase profit, that's all they think of.
    Problem with your theory is that Blizz hasnt lied because Blizz has never said how it works. I dont think Blizzard is pure as snow or anything, but...theyve literally never said the system is fair, that it isnt weighted, or anything. They just dont talk about it. Theyve never revealed what determines anything, so theres nothing shady going on - they haven't deceived you or lied to you.

It isnt really even helping their “bottom line” since if youre grinding BGs for gear youre a fool - you can get an entire set of better, higher iLevel gear from about six hours of questing on Argus. You can be fully “PvP” geared from Argus (all my toons are 938-945 and I havent set foot into a raid the entire xpac, and only a few Mythic+s a few months ago when some friends needed a tank) in less than one month.

Is it weighted? Probably. Is it not truly RNG? Quite likely.

Does it matter? Not one iota.

Deleted
    Even if it is random now it is a interesting idea to have a better rewards based on your performance. That way the slackers get forced to actually do something, use brains and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant008 View Post
    Even if it is random now it is a interesting idea to have a better rewards based on your performance. That way the slackers get forced to actually do something, use brains and stuff.
    Well, you do get more honor (as a team) for more objectives completed/held, and get marginally more honor for HKs if youre in the fight a lot. But thats 10 honor divided up amongst the people doing the killing, and their healers (minimum one), and are subject to HK DRs (you get zero honor from someone after 10 kills), so you really have to pile up the kills to get a lot of Honor thatbway, and kills are often the absolute worst measure of how useful you were to your team.

When i last took my Protadin into BFG (months ago when i was working on the PvP appearance), i got... eight or nine HKs from the initial Alliance rush on the mine, and then sat there the entire rest of he game and got no other kills. I did get attacked three different times by a pair of rogues (once with a feral druid helper), but all three times they ran away when it became apparent there was no way they could kill me before reinforcements would reach me, and then just stopped trying.

While my “performance” as measured by kills was low, the mere fact that my team could get away with leaving just me to hold the mine and that i was so annoying that the enemy just stopped trying to take it was invaluable to our win.

So, its hard to measure “performance” in a way that is fair to everyone and/or doesnt encourage SOME kind of exploitative/stupid/anti-helpful behaviour