Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    Nope, its actually a rather common thing when construction is booting up for a big job to have an open call. he had to bring his two forms of ID and fill out all the standard employment paperwork. He is basically washing down buildings and cleaning up while learning more advance tasks. making pretty solid money too, but it is very labor heavy work.

you seem to just live in a bubble, yes a lot of employers ask for an email, luckily, that is totally free and you dont need anything to get one, however even then, plenty dont. Yes a lot of jobs dont do walk in apps or paper apps, but plenty still do. its not some insanely rare thing, and it can easily be overcome by simply advising them you dont not have a cell phone. my previous employer never once had my email nor did i ever receive a single call on my cell phone from them. Its not uncommon.

if anything, INTERNET is far more needed then a cell phone. but that again, is totally off topic, as it is still, a luxury.

also asking for a phone # and email, does not mean requiring it. how many employers around the world have you personally asked if they will hire someone without a cell phone? none? yeah. i thought so.

I have family and friends without cell phones, it has not hindered them in any way. it only hinders me, when i need to get a hold of them.
    You realise that by resorting to anecdotes you're basically admitting your argument is nongeneralisable, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

i mean you could just google straight talk. lol
    You mean a cell phone? That's what straight talk is, are you serious right now?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Good thing we have profit garnishing as a punishment for noncompliance.
    Noncompliance to what, exactly?

So you're in favor of universal income then? Good.
    Assuming it were even feasible in the US (which it's not), whether or not I support it depends on whether or not it's a net loss for me.

"Ethics" are derived from rational discourse. Versus 'greed' which is pretty much just straight emotion.
    Ethics are a derivation of morals, which are based on emotion. My stance isn't about "greed", it's about maintaining an acceptable profit margin. I'm in business to make money, period. At the first sign that my profit margin is shrinking, I will compensate with cuts elsewhere. If that's not possible and profit loss is inevitable, I'll fire the employees, sell off the business and go on vacation. /shrug

If "basic economics" is the total extent of your knowledge, sure.

Unless you live in some rural shithole where the biggest employer is JoAnn and Cletus' General Shoppe.
    Eh, I'm an M.D. but they force us to take 2 years of austrian economics at my university (It doesn't matter what your degree is). So my view is slanted towards capitalism with an objectivist point of view

I also invite you to leave your first world bubble point of view and understand that most of the world is like that "shithole" that you describe. Phones are a luxury.

no, i just understand what a luxury vs a necessity is. something basic reading could help you understand as well. ROFL
    Except that you don't, luxuries and necessities change as society and technology changes. If you want to stay relevant with modern society you need a cell phone. Good luck working as a Sys Admin/IT spec at a small MSP like I do without one.

- - - Updated - - -

Either that or, as I said, a retiree.

Millennials and younger don't view cellphones as a luxury item, so I doubt he's on the young end.
    Judging by the way he talks and presents himself here my bet is under 20. Either way he thinks a VoIP service is cheaper than a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    You mean a cell phone? That's what straight talk is, are you serious right now?
    do you need me to do everything for you? i literally included a link that has their home phone service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    They're appeasing the masses by increasing wages. Of course there's going to be cutbacks elsewhere.
    They also just got billions of dollars in reduced corporate taxes, so equivalently they'll be reinvesting that money back into the...

Oh, I guess not. Kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noncompliance to what, exactly?
    The law?

Assuming it were even feasible in the US (which it's not), whether or not I support it depends on whether or not it's a net loss for me.
    Net loss in the short term, you mean. You've already established that you don't think beyond the next fiscal year.

Ethics are a derivation of morals, which are based on emotion. My stance isn't about "greed", it's about maintaining an acceptable profit margin. I'm in business to make money, period. At the first sign that my profit margin is shrinking, I will compensate with cuts elsewhere. If that's not possible and profit loss is inevitable, I'll fire the employees, sell off the business and go on vacation. /shrug
    Which is a function of, you know, greed.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Except that you don't, luxuries and necessities change as society and technology changes. If you want to stay relevant with modern society you need a cell phone. Good luck working as a Sys Admin/IT spec at a small MSP like I do without one.

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by the way he talks and presents himself here my bet is under 20. Either way he thinks a VoIP service is cheaper than a cell phone.
    i didnt know there was only 1 job field in the whole world. im sorry you dont understand what a necessity vs a luxury is, i cant continue to explain it to you.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2056...ernatives.html
    http://clark.com/technology/straight...phone-service/
    (there are a few straight talk options as well)

- - - Updated - - -

nope, you dont need a phone. its not a necessity. it is a luxury, i cant help you understand that any clearer. its just reality.
    So in order to get your cheap options i also have to pay for internet/router and for some of them a computer. Right there you are easily over the 30 bucks a month my friend.

and straight talk is a CELL plan, tied to a home base for 15 dollars. So basically is a cellphone, which you said was not necessary. After the purchase of the base station the first year cost is about 21 bucks. Not to far off from the 30 dollar cell phone plan.

so 21 or 30. so at 20 its ok but at 30 its not a necessity?

Ooma Telo: Then there's the Ooma Telo, which hits your wallet with a $250 hardware charge, 10 dollars a month, 20-30 for internet = 50- 60 bucks a month for the first year

YMax MagicJack: Contrast that with a product like the YMax MagicJack, a Zippo-lighter-size gizmo that costs around $40 for the hardware plus a full year of unlimited local and long-distance calling. After that, service costs just $20 per year.

not bad maybe for the first year if you can get one of those 19-29 dollar internet specials.

NetTalk Duo 30 bucks a month

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Eh, I'm an M.D. but they force us to take 2 years of austrian economics at my university (It doesn't matter what your degree is). So my view is slanted towards capitalism with an objectivist point of view
    You're aware that Austrian economics is about as legitimate as phrenology, right?

Ah yes, objectivism. The time honored philosophy of "anyone making under 200k per year can eat shit and die".

I also invite you to leave your first world bubble point of view and understand that most of the world is like that "shithole" that you describe. Phones are a luxury.
    If you'd bothered reading the discussion you'd understand we're talking about cell phones as a necessity within the United States. I explicitly point out the fallacy in pointing to developing countries as a litmus test for what is 'necessary' in a developed country.

do you need me to do everything for you? i literally included a link that has their home phone service.
    You realize those are all cell phones right? Even if it's just voice, those are all cell phones.

its actually a paired down cell service for home use

i didnt know there was only 1 job field in the whole world. im sorry you dont understand what a necessity vs a luxury is, i cant continue to explain it to you.
    Sorry I like to make a decent living and again good luck getting any kind of a decent job without one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    its actually a paired down cell service for home use
    Jesus christ, it's like conservative economics has been held in stasis since 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That's a business expense, not a necessity.
    Point still stands, good luck getting any decent job without a phone. Let alone an IT job.

7+ Year Old Account
    The law?
    And we weren't talking about laws. You said I would take a hit to my profits, etc. I'm curious about this supposed law that dictates a business has to take a hit to their profits in order to be in compliance.

Net loss in the short term, you mean. You've already established that you don't think beyond the next fiscal year.
    Net loss in general. If the UBI causes my tax liability to increase to a point that the income from the UBI is negated, it's a net loss, period.

Which is a function of, you know, greed.
    So you're saying businesses only exist because of greed? Because there's no rational reason to be in business if you can't make money.

You realize those are all cell phones right? Even if it's just voice, those are all cell phones.
    and you are wrong. again. i am sorry, but i have to stop wasting my time replying to you since you refuse to read, but continue to reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I like to make a decent living and again good luck getting any kind of a decent job without one.
    its easy. construction on the higher skill levels makes well above the national average wages, and my own family does it. making likely, much more then yourself. like i said before, without a cell phone.

you live in a bubble it seems. its also worth noting, a good job, has nothing to do with this conversation. LOL totally random whataboutism

10+ Year Old Account
    And we weren't talking about laws. You said I would take a hit to my profits, etc. I'm curious about this supposed law that dictates a business has to take a hit to their profits in order to be in compliance.
    I thought it was a given that the solution to business fobbing off the cost of wage hikes on their employees was punitive legislation.

Net loss in general. If the UBI causes my tax liability to increase to a point that the income from the UBI is negated, it's a net loss, period.
    And in an environment where you have no employees and can't further reduce your costs, you'll go out of business and someone more efficient will take your place to satisfy the demand.

You and any business specifically are not critical to the functioning of the economy; consumers are, and their protection is paramount from a policy standpoint.

So you're saying businesses only exist because of greed? Because there's no rational reason to be in business if you can't make money.
    Pretty much. I have a low opinion of rent seekers.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2018-01-12 at 12:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and you are wrong. again. i am sorry, but i have to stop wasting my time replying to you since you refuse to read, but continue to reply.

- - - Updated - - -

its easy. construction on the higher skill levels makes well above the national average wages, and my own family does it. making likely, much more then yourself. like i said before, without a cell phone.
    around here, even construction and fast food require people have cell phones so that their bosses can call them up if they need to be called in for an emergency shortage.

The alternative is the people get fired because the boss couldn't reach them because the people were out. A boss is going to prefer getting an employee that can always be reached vs an employee that cant always be reached because they dont have a cell phone.