Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    and you are wrong. again. i am sorry, but i have to stop wasting my time replying to you since you refuse to read, but continue to reply.

- - - Updated - - -

its easy. construction on the higher skill levels makes well above the national average wages, and my own family does it. making likely, much more then yourself. like i said before, without a cell phone.
    Except you're wrong on this one, show me where it says LAND LINE instead of cell phone? Also nice trying to jab at my pay, I could pretty much guarantee you're wrong on that front considering what people in my position make so unless you're from a family of Lineman's or run your own trade business then I seriously doubt they pull above what I make. You do realize in my line of work 100k+ a year without OT, is easy to achieve in most areas let alone CT where we're paid above that average.

I make more than any Journeyman/Master Electrician/Plumbers etc and on average I make more than most at power plants including a nuclear plant. Source: I hold a Journeyman's License as an electrician in CT and have worked at Millstone doing I&C.
    Last edited by Iamanerd; 2018-01-12 at 12:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyways this is bad optics to do a mass layoff after a "we're increasing wages guys", but since its Walmart you knew that was coming

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    around here, even construction and fast food require people have cell phones so that their bosses can call them up if they need to be called in for an emergency shortage.

The alternative is the people get fired because the boss couldn't reach them because the people were out. A boss is going to prefer getting an employee that can always be reached vs an employee that cant always be reached because they dont have a cell phone.
    like i said, i cant say every employer is the same, my point is, plenty will understand and not care about whether you have a cell phone or not. a lot even provide work phones. and i mean A LOT. nearly every single person i know still in the industry, has been given a company phone. but again, these are not people just starting out, so they are slightly more important then the wash down boy. (which my cousin got by walking onto the site, no phone needed for that job attainment)

10+ Year Old Account
    like i said, i cant say every employer is the same, my point is, plenty will understand and not care about whether you have a cell phone or not. a lot even provide work phones. and i mean A LOT. nearly every single person i know still in the industry, has been given a company phone. but again, these are not people just starting out, so they are slightly more important then the wash down boy. (which my cousin got by walking onto the site, no phone needed for that job attainment)
    i know my sis was required to have one for the fast food places she worked, and my ex was required to have one for doing his "clean out the oil tankers" job, and neither were provided cell phones. SO saying they aren't a necessity is stupid when most bosses will prefer a person with one over one without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i know my sis was required to have one for the fast food places she worked, and my ex was required to have one for doing his "clean out the oil tankers" job, and neither were provided cell phones. SO saying they aren't a necessity is stupid when most bosses will prefer a person with one over one without one.
    yeah i think a lot of fast food still asks that you have a phone, i mean, they probably endure the grunt of people not showing up, randomly quitting, leaving without notice. etc.

saying they are not a necessity is fact. no one will die without a cell phone, you can still EASILY find employment without a cell phone, a cell phone does not provide nourishment or a source of heat. you do not need one in any sense of the word. Id venture to say you have never asked or known someone who asked an employer if they needed to have a cell phone to be hired for a job. some careers? sure. IT and shit without a doubt, all careers? Not even close.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    That was such a quick turn around from tax cuts to employee firings.
    Anyone bother to actually READ the article?

60 days of pay and priority transfers to other locations...people will only be "fired" if they choose to be

Calm down wit the blind Walmart hate

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I thought it was a given that the solution to business fobbing off the cost of wage hikes on their employees was punitive legislation.
    That's certainly possible, but there are alternatives that couldn't/wouldn't be covered by it. Eg, government can't dictate the size of your workforce. If wages are increased, you're well within your right to reduce your workforce to compensate.

And in an environment where you have no employees and can't further reduce your costs, you'll go out of business and someone more efficient will take your place to satisfy the demand.

You and any business specifically are not critical to the functioning of the economy; consumers are, and their protection is paramount from a policy standpoint.
    My response to your comment about a UBI was from a personal perspective, not business. From a business perspective it would be good because it effectively eliminates the argument for a "living" wage but also a bad thing because business and personal income taxes would be through the roof, effectively negating the entire thing for those who actually earn/produce.

Pretty much. I have a low opinion of rent seekers.
    Bloody pinkos.

and you are wrong. again. i am sorry, but i have to stop wasting my time replying to you since you refuse to read, but continue to reply.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you even read what straight talk device is?
    https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...me-phone-z723c

NO-CONTRACT REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR LANDLINE.

Answer your home phone from anywhere with the Z723EL Wireless Home Phone Base Station! Setup is quick and simple, and you can connect your existing landline handsets. It works with your service provider's cellular network and is more affordable than a traditional landline. Get the home phone experience, with the same familiar handsets, at a lower price and in a convenient, portable package. What are you waiting for? The Wireless Home Phone Base Station is ready to go whenever-and wherever-you are!

you have to have CELL PHONE SERVICE in order to make this work.

they have two options 15 dollar service or 30 dollars a month service.

it seems to connect to verizon service towers.

So basically its a cell plan you cannot take with you.

I love how their PR stunt blew up in their faces. They were trying to tout their increased wages and bonuses... but that was done to hide these closures. I guess they underestimated how fast news travels.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    So basically its a cell plan you cannot take with you.
    thats called a home phone. $15 is a pretty damn good price too. cheap cheap

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    That's certainly possible, but there are alternatives that couldn't/wouldn't be covered by it. Eg, government can't dictate the size of your workforce. If wages are increased, you're well within your right to reduce your workforce to compensate.
    No, but the removal of "right to work" legislation should suffice meaning you'd need to provide clear reason why they were being fired. As well as the appropriate severance packages.

My response to your comment about a UBI was from a personal perspective, not business. From a business perspective it would be good because it effectively eliminates the argument for a "living" wage but also a bad thing because business and personal income taxes would be through the roof, effectively negating the entire thing.
    UBI exists to benefit society in a scenario where most forms of employment have been eliminated due to automation, not as a form of economic stimulus (though it would serve as such by providing a dial for disposable income).

Your long term interests are best represented by a healthy, educated workforce with money in their pockets to spend on electric nose-hair trimmers. Taxation is an investment in that regard.

Bloody pinkos.
    And if it were not for 'bloody pinkos' society would be an actual capitalist hellscape rather than a proto-hellscape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I love how their PR stunt blew up in their faces. They were trying to tout their increased wages and bonuses... but that was done to hide these closures. I guess they underestimated how fast news travels.
    or that people will quickly discard good news for bad news. Its why bad news tends ot get a lot more media slots than good news.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTaurenOrc View Post
    Isn't Sams Club the Costco of the east coast?
    East coast has both....

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Sam's Club next to me isn't closing and it's attached next to a Walmart so its always busy.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    And? If I have to increase employee wages, I'm going to other ways to cut back and the ones that affect me will be the last to go. After all, it's my business and it exists solely for me to make money.
    You are linking 2 things (employee wage increases and cost savings) which aren't linked as closely as you think (or corporate PR would like you to think).

Walmart actually raised their salaries to be competitive with Target who raised their starting salaries to $11/hr last year (yeah, nothing to do with the Tax Cut bill).

The reason they are closing the affected stores...well, let's hear it right from the horses mouth:

"After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated," Furner said in the email. "We will be closing some clubs, and we notified them today. We'll convert some of them into eCommerce fulfillment centers — to better serve the growing number of members shopping with us online and continue scaling the SamsClub.com business."
    http://www.businessinsider.com/walma...-stores-2018-1

Sorry, nothing to do with the raises, bonuses, or anything else idiots want to pin on employee costs. In the same fashion, as non-idiots tried telling the idiots, the Tax Cut bill will have absolutely no effect on how businesses behave.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Except that it's not a "PR Stunt". They're increasing wages and closing a failing venture. Those displaced by the closings will receive 60 days of pay and priority transfers to other facilities. The only ones that will lose their jobs are those who choose to do so.

No, but the removal of "right to work" legislation should suffice meaning you'd need to provide clear reason why they were being fired. As well as the appropriate severance packages.
    Not going to happen. An employer should have just as much right to terminate employment as the employee.

And if it were not for 'bloody pinkos' society would be an actual capitalist hellscape rather than a proto-hellscape.
    And if it weren't for psychos, we wouldn't have anti-psychotic medication.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    <snip>Sorry, nothing to do with the raises, bonuses, or anything else idiots want to pin on employee costs. In the same fashion, as non-idiots tried telling the idiots, the Tax Cut bill will have absolutely no effect on how businesses behave.
    I'm aware. You're taking a point from my first post and applying it to a post made after I read the article more closely. The post you quoted was merely in an expanded context and not directly in line with the facts of the OP.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2018-01-12 at 01:06 AM.

thats called a home phone. $15 is a pretty damn good price too. cheap cheap
    so what you are saying is phone service at 19 bucks a month (cost of first year with hardware) is ok, but 30 bucks a month is not a necessity? Of course i could get republic wireless for 20 dollars and 1gb of data included. 15 without data

so if i get a cell phone for 15 dollars a month then its a necessity?

or is a phone never a necessity?

Guess your neighbor can call 911 for you, if you can make it over there

my walmart took out like 5-6 registers for self serve ones

cutting jobs to save money.. so no surprise sams is going away

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    my walmart took out like 5-6 registers for self serve ones

cutting jobs to save money.. so no surprise sams is going away
    self serve ones have been around for like 15 years at stop and shop grocery chain, not to mention a few other shops.
    are people that worried about them now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    so what you are saying is phone service at 19 bucks a month (cost of first year with hardware) is ok, but 30 bucks a month is not a necessity? Of course i could get republic wireless for 20 dollars and 1gb of data included. 15 without data

so if i get a cell phone for 15 dollars a month then its a necessity?

or is a phone never a necessity?

Guess your neighbor can call 911 for you, if you can make it over there
    There's no point in arguing with him. He likes to play devils advocate to egg people on, I fell for it as well.