Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaintk View Post
    because they want to transform world of warcraft in world of diablo, i think it's was clear for everyone ? ^^
    World of warcraft raid loot has been RNG since the game was released... He gave the specific example of not getting his tier shoulders from Coven of Shivarra. There were people in vanilla who raided a lot more than 6 weeks (which is how long Antorus has been out) without getting a certain tier piece they wanted...
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2018-01-12 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryRedVixen View Post
    you.. you do know that is also a heirloom item right?
    you...you do know he could be talking about when it was current right?

It's always better to get something when you've waited a long time for it. If i'd ever got arcano crystal from the relinquished vendor after buying at least 5 trinkets a week since the vendor arrived it would have been a big moment... If I could have just earned say 1000 veiled argunite and bought the trinket directly from that same vendor I wouldn't have got any sense of excitement out of it. Thankfully I now have my Argus trinket after 5-6 weeks of RNG being unkind to me so I no longer need an Arcano.

When you buy a mount from a vendor do you get as good of a feeling out of that as when a mount that you've farmed for months finally drops (and i'm including boring looking mounts in this)?
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2018-01-12 at 01:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The way loot works in WoW has been that way since 2004. It's always been random. Diablo 2 was the same. In fact I think it was worse lol. At least you know where the loot drops in WoW. Outside of the legendarily items.

Would you prefer that everything you want drops first try from every dungeon and raid. That would create so many issues.

Why do you wanna do the dungeon again if you got everything on first try
    It'll be a strain on Blizzard to keep up on content because you will be working through everything so fast
    Nothing to aim or work towards. Content becomes effortless.

I like the way loot works in WoW. Maybe because it's all I have ever known. Not sure how newer MMO loot systems work?

If you don't like it, you are either new to MMO's, spoilt or should stop playing because MMO's are not for you.
    Bullshit argument. WoW has never had RNG like Legion does now - layers and layers of it with little that you can earn w/o RNG factored in.

Enjoy your Korean hamster wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizzington View Post
    In Wotlk, the bosses dropped loot, like now, but they also dropped guaranteed currency that you could save up and eventually use to buy stuff at the vendor. Best way to do it, imo.
    except the loot was fucking awful right?

as elemental i was just cringing over most pieces wondering who itemised this shite.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    Greetings,

so recently I've found myself wondering, 'why is loot still obtained randomly?'. I must confess this thread is part venting as I'm still to get my tier shoulders from coven which is preventing me from getting 4pc. (haven't even got them on normal yet and I've bonus rolled every coven kill)

I don't pretend to have thought this out a lot, so I'm curious to read replies as to why it might be a bad idea, but why can't loot change from RNG to something like:

Juggernaut Pauldrons [x10 Mote of the Dark Titan required] where you need to collect a large amount of lesser items (motes, in this example) from every boss prior to the boss that allows you to purchase the Pauldrons.

or

Juggernaut Pauldrons [x4 Essence of the Dark Titan required] where 1 essence drops from the boss that has the item meaning if you kill the boss 4 times you can purchase the pauldrons.

Edit: 1 essence drop per kill per week for everyone in the raid (?)

So instead of RNG it's kill based where you're working towards something. Because if you've killed a boss 5 times you should probably be guaranteed an item.

Thoughts?
    /Vent over (give me my shoulders please random dice roll)
    This is tantamount to loot being currency or quest based, which would result in a loot economy of ridiculous grinding because you still want that sweet sweet sub money.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    except the loot was fucking awful right?

as elemental i was just cringing over most pieces wondering who itemised this shite.
    or cringe over if any elemental loot would drop. I agree with Elemental itemitization sucked.

I don't think many players (any?) would enjoy killing a boss they were progressing on just to get 1/4th of an item each, then be told they have to kill it 3 more times to get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    So basically your entire argument is I don't like it therefore it is bad. That is a really shitty argument.
    Good thing that's not my argument.

Look at every single massively successful game since the dawn of video games and you can find rng elements in them.
    Tetris. If there was RNG involved it was which brick would come next...only they showed you the next 3-5 bricks that were going to drop, in order. One of the most, if not the most, successful video games of all time. Literally zero RNG.

When used well rng elements make the game better, whether it be shooters, trading card games, rpgs and so on and so forth.

Just like every system RNG can be used wrong, but that in itself does not make the system itself bad.
    That bolder bit's the important part. When used well. Using RNG to keep players on the string, a bit...is one thing. Using RNG to artificially prolong everything is bad. WoW might have used RNG well in the past, but the RNG in Legion is fucking ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranganathan View Post
    It's not your argument....apart from the multiple times where you argued with people saying that them using it for decades doesn't mean its good. Minor detail I suppose.
    Tetris. If there was RNG involved it was which brick would come next...only they showed you the next 3-5 bricks that were going to drop, in order. One of the most, if not the most, successful video games of all time. Literally zero RNG.
    Which means the next block they didn't show you was random, because you weren't guaranteed to get a specific piece past the blocks you were showing as goign to get. Minimal RNG is still RNG.

That bolder bit's the important part. When used well. Using RNG to keep players on the string, a bit...is one thing. Using RNG to artificially prolong everything is bad. WoW might have used RNG well in the past, but the RNG in Legion is fucking ridiculous.
    Which had you just used as your argument from the get go no one would of disagreed with you.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

you.. you do know that is also a heirloom item right?
    Sorry for misunderstanding, I was talking my time back in level 60 era. I was promised to get it after all the effort I had put.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    you...you do know he could be talking about when it was current right?
    you... you do know that if that was true that would of been during vanilla and would of made that argument invalid as that was back then during the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Sorry for misunderstanding, I was talking my time back in level 60 era. I was promised to get it after all the effort I had put.
    wait you are griping because you had to farm for an item in vanilla wow? o.o that was only 12 boss kills you know right? people had to wait 6 plus months in a 40 raid man to get loot =p

- - - Updated - - -

Also just to state, or did peeps see my wall of text and go fuck reasonable thinking, and ignore it?

Cus i mentioned how FF14 takes a ton of the rng away and rewards dedication instead of blind luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Simple, to keep you coming back for more.
    I myself have nearly filled my bank with useless trinkets tracking how many it would take to get an arcano, in the process I got burnt out and I have zero desire to even play.

I don't think RNG is working well in Legion.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Loot as always been RNG, you didnt notice because since TBC you had "extra" ways of getting gear, pants never drop for you? no problemo, farm some badges and wait for the piece you want while using a piece with the same or nearly equal ilvl

RNG is fine, would be better if Bliz can make a new system where we will have increased chances for getting gear in weaker slots and decreased chances in stronger slots. Back in NH and TOS I had almost no relics from the weekly chest, now I got like 4 relics in 6 resets.

wait you are griping because you had to farm for an item in vanilla wow? o.o that was only 12 boss kills you know right? people had to wait 6 plus months in a 40 raid man to get loot =p
    Gripe? what part of my messsage was gripe? i fucking loved it. It is one of the reasons I am so excited for classic wow

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is a staple, what is traditional, what people are used to, what is common, and what people will put up with =/= good.
    If people didn't want to put up with it, the games would've stopped selling years ago. But instead RPG's are one of the most played game genres in the World.

Once again you not liking it doesn't mean jack fucking shit. If you don't want it go play a Genre that doesn't have it. Like Hello Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Because otherwise it would be to linear. Having a good item drop that you didnt expect or at least wasnt sure would drop gives you a spike of happyness compared to a stale grind If you know exactly when you get what
    Linear also means faster. You will know it will take you exactly X resets to obtain Z items. This way you have absolutely no clue what you will get when. I have spend 20 coins on Imonar and a kill since release and still have only raid finder tier legs. I actually got Mythic tier legs before getting heroic ones.

Deleted
    Probably been mentioned but, if loot wasn't RNG it would leave us with one of the two situations:
    1: Loot is obtained quickly and you have every single piece you want in a month's time, seeing as you can't progress any further you unsubscribe in wait for new content with new loot.
    2: Because Blizzard doesn't want you to finish your character too quickly, but for whatever reason allows you to receive the exact items you want because they didn't go for RNG, they instead put in a really long and tedious grind which will take at least five months to complete (the time they've stated that they are satisfied a raid tier should last). You will probably look at this immensely long grind, throw your hands in the air and say "fuck it, I'm not doing this shit!" and unsubscribe.

Neither of these options is preferable for Blizzard, so the better solution is for you to not know how long the grind is going to be. You could be immensely lucky and obtain all the right items right away, or you could be incredibly unlucky and never obtain that certain sweet trinket/relic. And even if you did it can always titanforge, have a tertiary stat or a socket. That way, you will always be able to progress and as such always have something to do, which is much more preferable for Blizzard as you will stay subscribed longer.

It's really not a difficult concept and I really don't see why this thread was even needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Bullshit argument. WoW has never had RNG like Legion does now - layers and layers of it with little that you can earn w/o RNG factored in.

Enjoy your Korean hamster wheel.
    But it's always had RNG, that;s my point.

But people want to make the aregument like it's only just became a thing. Sure Legion has made RNG worse, that I agree, I for one hope they bring back the old valor tokens as at least if you didn't get the loot from raids or dungeons you can get it at a vendor with all the dungeon/raid grinding you saved up.

But let's not pretend like RNG is a new thing. It's like some of you have only just learned what an MMO is.
    Last edited by Orby; 2018-01-12 at 01:20 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance