Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    To be honest, why would you want to work less? Working a lot is what makes you a responsible adult and productive member of society.

Do you also plan to give similar raise to your nonmanager staff? You know, those that actually create the value for your company?

On topic, with kid under way, I'd definitely take the extra free time to spend with my family.
    Last edited by h4rr0d; 2018-01-12 at 08:28 AM.

I guess that depends on how much money you're already making.
    I'd probably take the 6 hours. Especially if I could save them up as, maybe a few extra vacation days or something like that.

If I didn't have a family I'd probably go for the extra money though. I mean, do you have something productive to do with thoes 6 extra hours?

Why the fuck are you working 51 hours a week? What sort of shithole of a country are you working in?
    Last edited by Unhinged; 2018-01-12 at 08:29 AM.

Deleted
    Six hours of work and have a good fulfilling life, enemy of mankind and economic growth here.

6 hours less a week is nothing for me. They'd tell me that I was to work 6 hours less and then I'd wind up working 10-16 hour days anyway.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Do Americans generally work more than 40 hours per week? :O

6 hours a week ends up 312 hours less a year.

If i had to work 312 hours to earn $5200 that would mean i was working for $16.66 p/h

I would not work for that little

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, is this an extra 100$ per week or is it 5200$ at the end of the year. 100$ a week is little enough money that i'd barely notice it. But a single payment of $5200 would be quite nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Extra money, because I wouldn't end up working any longer anyway.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Working for 51hrs a week, where tf do you live? Anything above 40hrs per week is paid OT at higher rate.

I'll gladly take 6hrs That's whooping 312 (6 * 52) hours a year.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    After doing some math:
    If you earn 18+ per hour (but not paid per hour) it's more profitable to work 34 hours a week instead of 40 and get the same pay, the more you earn per hour the more profitable it is to work less (if you are not paid per hour)
    If you earn 17- per hour it's more profitable to take the money, the less you earn per hour the more profitable it is.

$5200 adds roughly $2.5 per hour.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I find it funny that business asks this question from the workers. From health standpoint with the same money spend on workers but they work less hours is better for overall. Your workers would have more time off from work and get thoughts out of the work environment and less stress. Everyone knows this leads to more productivity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would take the money. The offer of less time might be made in good faith, but the free time would evaporate with all the "we have a deadline, and we need to get this out" or "could you just take a quick look at this".
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Less hours for sure, you only live once and i dont want to work all day everyday untill im 75 then sitt there with a shitty pention anyways.

6 hours less a day would be even sweeter only work 2 hours a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    I would take the money. The offer of less time might be made in good faith, but the free time would evaporate with all the "we have a deadline, and we need to get this out" or "could you just take a quick look at this".
    Just say no and go home. Unless they are offering overtime pay - you are free to refuse.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

5200 for a year? That's ~$430 per month. I'll take less hours anytime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak
    Just say no and go home. Unless they are offering overtime pay - you are free to refuse.
    Looks great on paper, wouldn't bet on it being a great career move in real life. It may be a reasonable exercise of your rights, but I wouldn't bet on your peers and managers remembering it that way. That's something that leads to comments like "not a team player" on performance reviews.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    The story behind the question-

Its end of the year financial time. We typically assess our small businesses profit/loss reports and then increase manager salaries as % allow. This year the % was really close to $100 per week so we just rounded it up. When me and business partner were discussing it, I made the comment something similar to " I did the same job these managers do now for years and years and honestly I would have taken lowering the scheduled hours from 51 per week to 45 per week over the extra money. " which led to us discussing the merits of each. He feels most of our team would take the money. Knowing most of them, he is more than likely correct. But there are some that are older, or have kids, or sick relatives or go to college than I'm sure would at least consider working less hours.

Plan is to visit with each manager and ask if they would prefer one over the other. Would hate to get into a situation where some our taking one and some are taking the other. Feel it would lead to issues down the line. "He isn't working as much as me" " he makes more money than me" kind of things.

The math works out that breaking down hourly wages averaged they will come out just slightly ahead by working less hours over taking the money.

Thought it was interesting enough to post here for expanded thoughts.
    No kids? Less hours.
    Kids and not primary care taker? More money.
    Kids and primary care taker*? Less hours.

Very unlikely scenario if you are working that many hours.
    I may not be an overachiever, but my Druid is richer than half of Venezuela.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Looks great on paper, wouldn't bet on it being a great career move in real life. It may be a reasonable exercise of your rights, but I wouldn't bet on your peers and managers remembering it that way. That's something that leads to comments like "not a team player" on performance reviews.
    No it doesn't. If that happens that just means that your managers are either idiots or want to exploit you - so you should find another job. You are not making a career allowing yourself to be used. You'll just turn into a tool. They will not respect you.

If you are good at your job, you can easily find it elsewhere. Never miss an opportunity to remind your managers of that. Never allow them to use you for free. There's a legal way to incentivize you to spend your personal time for the company - overtime pay. Always demand it.

And if you are good at your job and your managers are not idiots - you will have your career. And when you get your career to the level where working overtime for free is beneficial to YOU (because you are a stock holder now) - you will decide for yourself.