Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Two words: Arathi. Highlands.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    It had millions of players and retained a growing audience. Many enjoyed the game as their first MMO experience. Why are there so many threads that are acting as if they are warnings? Its a goddamn game, not a trip to the woods.
    People like to pretend the things they did were really hard and that the thing they did was something that wasn't mainstream. In reality, like you said, probably close to 15-25 million people at least tried wow, and we know that at least 7m were subscribed when tbc launched. This isn't a small club, thats like saying being subscribed to the yogscast is an exclusive club.. it really isn't.

For comparison, the average football stadium seats about 60,000 people. So every time you see a football game on TV, picture that many people, x120 or so.

As for whether it was torture, well i'd like to compare it to the long standing meme that retail is hell.. only anyone thats ever worked in retail knows that bad encounters are a dime a dozen and you never hear anyone complain while currently working there, its only YEARS later when they're in a totally different job sector, that they will bust out the "RETAIL IS HELL" memes. Another good one here is being in the military. Holy shit these people act like they're some cutting edge super humans, yet in reality its basically just a glorified strict workout regime with a dude there to motivate you, dress code and bunking with people.

WoW Vanilla was not torture, it was basically as it is now - you raided, you afk'd a lot and the one difference is that you farmed gold from mobs rather than just flipping shit on the AH and spamming potions and flasks. It also wasn't an exclusive club, unless you think Overwatch on its opening week, which got 7 million players, was an "exclusive club". Chances are, if you encounter someone that played or plays WoW, they have a good chance of playing vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    People like to pretend the things they did were really hard and that the thing they did was something that wasn't mainstream. In reality, like you said, probably close to 15-25 million people at least tried wow, and we know that at least 7m were subscribed when tbc launched. This isn't a small club, thats like saying being subscribed to the yogscast is an exclusive club.. it really isn't.

For comparison, the average football stadium seats about 60,000 people. So every time you see a football game on TV, picture that many people, x120 or so.

As for whether it was torture, well i'd like to compare it to the long standing meme that retail is hell.. only anyone thats ever worked in retail knows that bad encounters are a dime a dozen and you never hear anyone complain while currently working there, its only YEARS later when they're in a totally different job sector, that they will bust out the "RETAIL IS HELL" memes. Another good one here is being in the military. Holy shit these people act like they're some cutting edge super humans, yet in reality its basically just a glorified strict workout regime with a dude there to motivate you, dress code and bunking with people.

WoW Vanilla was not torture, it was basically as it is now - you raided, you afk'd a lot and the one difference is that you farmed gold from mobs rather than just flipping shit on the AH and spamming potions and flasks. It also wasn't an exclusive club, unless you think Overwatch on its opening week, which got 7 million players, was an "exclusive club". Chances are, if you encounter someone that played or plays WoW, they have a good chance of playing vanilla.
    Yeah, the part that perhaps annoys me the most about Classic fans, this attitude that liking vanilla makes you some sort of hardcore supergamer and that the casuals just don't get it, man.

Sorry guys, but vanilla wasn't hard, I functioned in that environment perfectly as a 15 years old and I've never been any sort of pro with leet skills. Beating Halo 2 on Legendary is hard. World first Mythic KJ was hard. Beating Dark Souls without dying is hard. Cuphead is hard. Darkest Dungeon on Stygian is hard. Vanilla was mostly similar to modern WoW, just with the tedious sub retention MMO bullshit dialed up to 11. If some people prefer that, more power to them, but let's stop pretending it makes you part of some elite nerd's club.

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    trolls gonna troll i guess
    It probably takes longer to make a character that will be accepted into a mythic guild than it does to make a character that will be accepted into a Naxx guild.

The only part i'd say is longer in vanilla is leveling. Everything else is basically the same. Sure, legion throws purps at you, but 99.9% of those purps are trash. Welcome to titanforging buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by DrIvoRobotnik View Post
    I think Legion was worse than vanilla when it comes to alts.
    Nothing is worse than classic as you have to level them for 6+ days played.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by riptal View Post
    I think majority of people who really want Vanilla know exactly what Vanilla really was. They probably play on private servers since and just want to play the game exactly how it was 13 years ago. For the rest, they will try for few days/weeks then leaves and play retail.
    Problem is no one knows exactly how it was 13 years ago, least of which being the private server crowd. The game change seriously every two months. It will be near impossible to replicate that and considering people demand that without any actual knowledge of what they are demanding, this will likely be a huge controversy. Looking forward to some easy views when this finally comes out!
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Quote Originally Posted by bearlolzx View Post
    yall thought legion was alt unfriendly

thats why ppl hate vanilla
    vanilla was and wasnt more alt friendly than legion

you can get high ilvl gear much MUCH MUCH faster in legion than in vanilla
    but the fact that it can take you so fucking long to get 2 bis legendaries is a nightmare.

in vanilla you just went down to MC/BWL with your alt once a week, maybe an AQ20/ZG

in legion you do mythic+ like 12 raids, invasions every 5 hours, emissaries, and whatnot if you want to max legendary droprate, and if you dont it takes like months and months to get them.

plus gearscaling was a A LOT less insane in vanilla than now, if you compare bis EN gear to BIS argus gear, the dps is like over 5 times as much.

if you compare MC gear to naxx gear the difference is much smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    As for whether it was torture, well i'd like to compare it to the long standing meme that retail is hell.. only anyone thats ever worked in retail knows that bad encounters are a dime a dozen and you never hear anyone complain while currently working there, its only YEARS later when they're in a totally different job sector, that they will bust out the "RETAIL IS HELL" memes.
    Dunno who you worked with or where you worked... but I recall not only doing a bit of complaining about how retail is hell while working at Wal-Mart, but so did my coworkers. Never in front of the customers, sure, but still.

Heck, there's a forum somewhere that I used to frequent where people complained about their experiences working various jobs, including retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post

Your point is the biggest "no u" I've ever read.
    No it's not. I've made my point abundantly clear. You're just not smart enough to understand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
    No it's not. I've made my point abundantly clear. You're just not smart enough to understand it.
    I understand it better than you think you do, hence why you don't understand it. Keep telling yourself how smart you are though.

I understand it better than you think you do, hence why you don't understand it. Keep telling yourself how smart you are though.
    Bahaha, for someone complaining about "no, you!" posts, you seem completely oblivious of your own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bahaha, for someone complaining about "no, you!" posts, you seem completely oblivious of your own.
    Sometimes the only way to make people like you see their own bullshit is to feed it back to them. If you were as smart as you claimed you would have seen that.
    Last edited by Clone; 2018-01-12 at 05:55 AM.

It was the best of its time. By today's standards it is crap, though.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    The grinds were pretty brutal. It was fun for its time but players expect so much more from a game now and they expect it so much faster. I don't think it will survive with today's playerbase.

Sometimes the only way to make people like you see their own bullshit is to feed it back to them. If you were as smart as you claimed you would have seen that.
    The only bullshit I see is your insatiable need to argue with people over their opinions, tell them their opinions are wrong, and claim your opinions are facts. But oh well, judging by your profile picture, it seems you liked the star wars prequels too. In retrospect, that should have been a big clue as to your lack of taste.

It wasn't. It was a blast. But people talk with the imagination in their head how it would be today, to play classic with all its problems it had and bugs etc. Todays WoW players are kinda spoiled because Blizzard did put alot of work into the games the last 13 years, that is for sure. And a lot changed over the years.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only bullshit I see is your insatiable need to argue with people over their opinions, tell them their opinions are wrong, and claim your opinions are facts. But oh well, judging by your profile picture, it seems you liked the star wars prequels too. In retrospect, that should have been a big clue as to your lack of taste.
    There you go hiding behind opinion like it absolves you from being wrong.

There you go hiding behind opinion like it absolves you from being wrong.
    When I say I think Vanilla has more immersive gameplay mechanics, it's impossible to be wrong. This is one of those fundamental things you seem unable to grasp. Just how many times were you dropped as a child?

It was soooo fucking slow, and the combat abilities were soooo bland. There was almost no charge/release or reactive abilities. And you had to spam your shittiest spells to not run out of mana. And no gear ever dropped.

In 2004 we didn't even had good computer games and no internet, so we had to deal with that crap.

Same couple of names defending "Vanilla" as something no one else ever played, and a few logical beings shutting them down, Classic forums are so fun.

Also anyone saying "Vanilla" was unfriendly to alts compared to any other expansion,Legion etc, it depends how you view the game and how you play yourself.

If you consider your 920 ilvl alt as a decent alt in 2018 then ye, sorry to inform you that you are wrong.

Vanilla and TBC and most of WoTLK didnt have such problems cause the balancing was still non-existant/all over the place cause the game still had RPG elements.

Now that they are all gone and its a min-maxing situation, your alt to be relevant right now on the active game, they require 2 bis legendaries, 75 points in your main spec, 4 set, specific trinkets, otherwise take your useless character to LFR.

Vanilla was more like, take 1-2 weeks to level considering after the first pass you know everything and you dont waste time running around, and then its literally if you have friends to carry you quickly or a guild to get you into relevant gear, like T1/ZG/AQ20 in a matter of hours.

So yes, Vanilla was insanely friendly to alts if you had a clue about the game, which the majority did not.

Item scaling over the expansion was different, the power creep was different, bla bla bla, there werent so many things to consider as a character being useful/relevant to the active content.

The biggest problem Legion had when considering alts, was the first 6 months were they completely fucked up with the artifact weapon like the mongoloids they are when it comes to that.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-01-12 at 02:06 PM.

Classic wow is torture for the people that somehow think they need to play it... it's not made for those people.

I will say this 1000x, they are NOT making this for people to go from retail to classic. They would prefer if everyone on retail just continued to play retail.

Stop acting like they are going to try and merge the playerbases to appease them both. They would have never released it if that was their goal. They want something for people playing illegal servers to use and to play something that isn't close to available otherwise.

There will never be a shortage of people trying to cross over from retail to classic, who "would only play it if they did X". Those people just need to stay away.

Hopefully they separate the subscriptions and then make the Classic forum for Classic subs only on the official forums.