Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    if the store is withholding all the tips, stop tipping there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You know what a living wage is? The ability to pay for a 2 bedroom home, rental (which is considered standard for a single adult), ability to pay for 2 insurances (Life and Home), the ability to pay for the cheapest phone contract (which is standard now a days), the ability to pay for the cheapest internet contract (which is almost a demand now a days), the ability to pay for 4.3 weeks of food (which is the bare minimum), the ability to pay for 20-25 days of public transport and the ability to get medical assistance.

This is the bare minimum, known as the actual living wage. This is the wage anyone should be expected to be able to cover at a fulltime job (36-42 hours). Stop bitching about low skilled jobs, trust me, I have a hard time believing a paperpusher should be paid more than a more physical jobs but they are at times too. You got to get it in your mind that even so, low skilled jobs exist, and you feed them, you need them. Without them, your life would be utter shit.

Why is it so god damn hard for, I am sorry, mostly americans, to believe that even low skilled people needs to survive. Some people can't get higher up. You going to advocate for them to off themselves just because they cannot climb the ladder? The pay for the employee is low because the employer knows they can get away with not paying much. You have a feeding system over there that rewards one social group and scuffs the other.

When you're a fulltime employee, the bare minimum you can expect when being unable to have time to take a secondary job, is to at least have the ability to survive. Already a joke with a lot of systems over there, at least Canada has a little better assistance for some people but not all does.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh god, even at fair paid fast food joints, they are still pushed a lot.
    Because if youre in your forties and working maximum hours for minimum wage you have failed and deserve that as punishment. I worked with a guy that was mentally retarded, in his thirties, who worked as a cart pusher? Want to know how much he was making? Almost $25/hr. He had been with the company for some time and accrued that rate of pay.

Stop saying entry level positions need to paid a living wage. Youre going to lose these positions altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    I think this is where our fundamental disagreement lies, you believe people are owed something in life and I do not. I believe in almost total freedom for all business and persons as long as those freedoms do not harm, and you believe you have the right to dictate your own personal morality to others. Your intentions are obviously good at heart, but when fully realized they lead to totalitarian forms of government.
    People who work in the service industry work a hell of a lot harder than I do, and probably you too to be honest.

If anyone earns a decent wage, they do.

But again, we're not talking about a decent wage, a $15 an hour minimum wage is a fucking pittance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    People can get mad about anything these days. Don't they have things to worry about in their own life?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Because if youre in your forties and working maximum hours for minimum wage you have failed and deserve that as punishment. I worked with a guy that was mentally retarded, in his thirties, who worked as a cart pusher? Want to know how much he was making? Almost $25/hr. He had been with the company for some time and accrued that rate of pay.
    Got my doubts about the pay unless he's a 10+ year employee or benefitting of some extra pay due to mental health - which means the company is being rewarded for employing him (what normally would happen, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Stop saying entry level positions need to paid a living wage. Youre going to lose these positions altogether.
    You aren't going to lose low skilled jobs, they are part of life, especially in some countries of high wealth and low tax. People without the ability to climb higher deserves to survive. A living wage isn't even that much. I am talking LIVING wage, doesn't mean purchase of car, or house, or iphones etc. That is the basics, even if you don't respect humankind, you gotta realize that we aren't equal on the job market, and not everyone is rewarded with a grandeur job with swell pay and shit.

And no, you don't lose low skilled positions. Especially not when you're part of a community of consumerism and social tiers so wide apart.

And as of the punishment comment, you believe people who can't afford an education should be punished for so?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

15+ Year Old Account
    B-b-but i-i-it's a private company and they can do whatever they like
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    You're still only making an emotional argument. What you're talking about is far beyond even a $15/h wage, and people that work pushing coffee definitely don't deserve that.
    Nope? Taxes are low over there, 15 dollars is a bit below minimum wage here, and mostly due to the dollar tanking a bit. 15 dollars an hour is still a living wage, heck, it is a living wage in countries more expensive and higher taxed.

The simple fact is that nobody makes you take a low paying job.
    Survival does. We all need to live. And you don't achieve better paid jobs without the papers.

You don't even have to work if you don't want to, but that doesn't mean your poor life choices have to affect other people.
    For making the best social developed country, you would expect all to want to work. 15 dollars doesn't affect other people, fuck it, I've heard of job positions to minimum 70 dollars an hour, doesn't affect me either. A person not completing an education doesn't affect me either, overall it affects the social classes because it means the system failed somewhere, or people did.

If TH wants to cut benefits because some dumbass government decides to get all in their feels and starts dictating they pay more, good for TH.
    That is true, just sad it is run like a government of their neighbour, strangling development to milk the coins better. Which is understandable but you'll have a better employee if they actually can live.

It was completely optional for any person to work for TH, and they owe you nothing other than the rate at which you agreed to be paid when you were hired.
    Discussable, may be optional if you have a higher paid job or having someone take care of your bills. Others though, need to survive. And if pouring coffee is the only method, then shit, gotta live with customers and a fake smile because you'll be dead or in debt later if you can't climb the ladder with the attitude some has. But all in all, it is correct that you pick the job.

Again, I don't know why it's so incredibly hard to believe that these no-skill jobs are not careers, they're not meant to be for your whole life, and if you want more out of life you need to make yourself worth more.
    These no skill jobs aren't careers, no, they are traps. You can't develop, you can't hardly go forward as they are now. And no, they are not meant to be for your whole life but if you don't have any other papers, well shit, that is where some might be stuck.

Nobody "deserves" anything in life, and at the end of the day that's our fundamental disagreement.
    I am not talking deserving, I am talking living. If you can handle full time, you should be counted under a living wage. If you can't full time, it is different - and yes, I mean that for directors too. Work force is more important overall, they are the veins of your towns and cities.

You're for totalitarianism, and I'm for as much freedom as possible as long as it does no harm.
    Nah, progression and freedom, but you ain't got no freedom if you're rotting at 7 dollars an hour and believed to yet still climb a ladder without education.

I'm sure there's a Stalin poster hanging somewhere in your room.
    The fuck would I do with that? Communism is outdated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    B-b-but i-i-it's a private company and they can do whatever they like
    True, makes it a bit easier to snuff them out but to be honest, striking at TH isn't even where the problem lies, they just go with what they can, because that is how it's set.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You know what a living wage is? The ability to pay for a 2 bedroom home, rental (which is considered standard for a single adult), ability to pay for 2 insurances (Life and Home), the ability to pay for the cheapest phone contract (which is standard now a days), the ability to pay for the cheapest internet contract (which is almost a demand now a days), the ability to pay for 4.3 weeks of food (which is the bare minimum), the ability to pay for 20-25 days of public transport and the ability to get medical assistance.

This is the bare minimum, known as the actual living wage. This is the wage anyone should be expected to be able to cover at a fulltime job (36-42 hours). Stop bitching about low skilled jobs, trust me, I have a hard time believing a paperpusher should be paid more than a more physical jobs but they are at times too. You got to get it in your mind that even so, low skilled jobs exist, and you feed them, you need them. Without them, your life would be utter shit.

Why is it so god damn hard for, I am sorry, mostly americans, to believe that even low skilled people needs to survive. Some people can't get higher up. You going to advocate for them to off themselves just because they cannot climb the ladder? The pay for the employee is low because the employer knows they can get away with not paying much. You have a feeding system over there that rewards one social group and scuffs the other.

When you're a fulltime employee, the bare minimum you can expect when being unable to have time to take a secondary job, is to at least have the ability to survive. Already a joke with a lot of systems over there, at least Canada has a little better assistance for some people but not all does.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh god, even at fair paid fast food joints, they are still pushed a lot.
    Go move to Soviet Russia if this is what you want. Fortunately in America it doesn’t and never will work like this. Bye

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Those are some of the most punch-able faces i've ever seen.

Its just the companies making up excuses.
    If you can't run a company without giving living wages to your employees, it should not exist.
    Spoken by someone who doesn’t understand labor costs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutarch78 View Post
    Spoken by someone who doesn’t understand labor costs.
    No, we understand 'labor costs'; in particular that allowing businesses to underpay employees is effectively business welfare since it forces public assistance to pick up the slack.

Let me phrase it another way; if a full time job is not sufficient to live off, that job is not worth doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No, we understand 'labor costs'; in particular that allowing businesses to underpay employees is effectively business welfare since it forces public assistance to pick up the slack.

Let me phrase it another way; if a full time job is not sufficient to live off, that job is not worth doing.
    Ok god fire all the people and let machines do it. Problem solved.

Minimum wage jobs are not a career path. Thats what all these “fight-for-15” Bernieheads don’t understand. They’re there as a way to make money while you go to school in order to start a real career. If you’ve been working at fast food for decades you’re doing it wrong. I’d rather put my money in a kiosk instead to someone with an entitlement complex or who can’t even speak the language of the company he or she lives in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Minimum wage jobs are not a career path. Thats what all these “fight-for-15” Bernieheads don’t understand. They’re there as a way to make money while you go to school in order to start a real career. If you’ve been working at fast food for decades you’re doing it wrong. I’d rather put my money in a kiosk instead to someone with an entitlement complex or who can’t even speak the language of the company he or she lives in.
    So tell us what you do? Are you an Internet Millionaire or just another person making barely above $15/hour after doing all the "right things"?
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Yeah everyone should go for white collar jobs and then guess what. Over saturation and all those white collar jobs become even more shit then they already are maybe even putting you out of work. I'm sure someone could do your job for cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, someone who's getting their economic data from 1995.

Ignoring the fact that no, you can't make sufficient money to subsist and pay for schooling on minimum wage, most minimum wage workers are in fact women over 35. 'Minimum wage work' has become a full time career since 2008, and it's silly to pretend it's still just for high schoolers or college students. Nor is it remotely informed to view it as a 'stepping stone' because no; not everyone has the education or skillset to progress, and they sure as hell aren't likely to gain those opportunities on minimum wage. Whether it is a 'career' or not is immaterial; it is full time work, and deserves to be paid as such.

But of course, the economics of minimum wage are pretty irrelevant when you've clearly revealed your stance with that bit about the 'language'. Your issue isn't with minimum wage, it's with Hispanics.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    So tell us what you do? Are you an Internet Millionaire or just another person making barely above $15/hour after doing all the "right things"?
    Stop feeling sorry for yourselves would be a start. Adapt or die.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Yeah everyone should go for white collar jobs and then guess what. Over saturation and all those white collar jobs become even more shit then they already are maybe even putting you out of work. I'm sure someone could do your job for cheaper.
    You're correct in that saturation does lead to wage decrease. Do you know how many high-paying blue collar jobs go unfulfilled because this generation believes its underneath them?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh look, someone who's getting their economic data from 1995.

Ignoring the fact that no, you can't make sufficient money to subsist and pay for schooling on minimum wage, most minimum wage workers are in fact women over 35. 'Minimum wage work' has become a full time career since 2008, and it's silly to pretend it's still just for high schoolers or college students. Nor is it remotely informed to view it as a 'stepping stone' because no; not everyone has the education or skillset to progress, and they sure as hell aren't likely to gain those opportunities on minimum wage. Whether it is a 'career' or not is immaterial; it is full time work, and deserves to be paid as such.

But of course, the economics of minimum wage are pretty irrelevant when you've clearly revealed your stance with that bit about the 'language'. Your issue isn't with minimum wage, it's with Hispanics.
    So you honestly think someone flips burgers should earn the same as someone with education/training and years of experience? Keep dreaming, snowflake. And yes if you aren't bothering to learn the language of the country you're living in after several years then you have no business being there in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you honestly think someone flips burgers should earn the same as someone with education/training and years of experience?
    Not in the slightest. Good thing minimum wage increases don't mean that fast food workers earn the same as accountants.

It's almost as if minimum wage increases cascade upwards because they give people above the minimum better bargaining power.

Keep dreaming, snowflake. And yes if you aren't bothering to learn the language of the country you're living in after several years then you have no business being there in the first place.
    So you're not disputing your issue being with a negative view of Hispanics and poor people in general rather than the merits of the minimum wage. Kay.

- - - Updated - - -

You're correct in that saturation does lead to wage decrease. Do you know how many high-paying blue collar jobs go unfulfilled because this generation believes its underneath them?
    There are plenty of immigrants from Syria and Mexico who would gladly take those positions.

Not in the slightest. Good thing minimum wage increases don't mean that fast food workers earn the same as accountants.

It's almost as if minimum wage increases cascade upwards because they give people above the minimum better bargaining power.

So you're not disputing your issue being with a negative view of Hispanics and poor people in general rather than the merits of the minimum wage. Kay.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of immigrants from Syria and Mexico who would gladly take those positions.
    Higher minimum wage = cuts in the labor force. If you've ever run a business (small business to be exact) you'd understand this. Wal-mart could get away with paying $15 an hour but for smaller businesses most likely not.

Learning the language of the country you choose to belong to has NOTHING to do with negative views of hispanics. Are you hispanic??

10+ Year Old Account
    It's ridiculous from Tim Horton. Frankly, it feels like a teenager tantrum more than a stance on anything.

I live in Quebec, basically the neighbor of Ontario. We don't have the same minimum wage as they do and it was recently announced by our lovely government that they wouldn't go that route (although they did say minimum wage would rise by 50c/year), so we don't really have to deal with Tim's tantrum. Yet I have friends that work in our local Tim Horton and I can't help but wonder how that'll impact them in the long run.

Shitty reaction from Tim Horton, in any case.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Higher minimum wage = cuts in the labor force.
    There's absolutely no evidence to suggest it does.

If you've ever run a business (small business to be exact) you'd understand this. Wal-mart could get away with paying $15 an hour but for smaller businesses most likely not.
    Then tough shit? Why are these businesses worth protecting but employees aren't?

If your business model is contingent upon paying people insufficient money to live despite working full time, you don't deserve to be in business. Someone else will fill the market demand.

Learning the language of the country you choose to belong to has NOTHING to do with negative views of hispanics. Are you hispanic??
    No. I happen to be white and upper middle class; you were the one who brought in 'the language' as if it was some argument against higher minimum wage. Clearly that means you don't think Hispanics deserve to be paid well for their work.