Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Erythros View Post
    the problem is that dogs are highly intelligent and capable of emotions that are close to human ones (yeah pigs are intelligent too, contradiction i know)

considering that a dog can be a fiercely loyal and loving lifelong companion (for his life that goes) eating him feels wrong, you don't eat creatures you can develop relations with, in some families dogs are honorary members and grow up along with the children

but it's just that an emotional matter i guess all it takes is being a bit of a sociopath to see no problem in it
    Well it's only wrong if you have that sort of bond with dogs. Some people don't have that attachment. Same goes for rabbits, and people eat those in the US.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a cultural issue. We (west) eat cows, it's revered in India. Muslims don't eat pork. Some current or old Asian cultures do not hold dogs in a great merit, so they eat them. Japanese used to (or rarely still do, not sure) eat dolphins/whales. Everything is subjective when it comes to eating meat. If you don't wanna be 100% clear, stop eating it in general. Pigs know when they are about to be slaughtered btw.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by New sauce boy View Post
    If you find nothing wrong with eating the animal that is so famously labeled "Man's Best Friend" then there is something wrong with you.
    The problem with this statement is that it's a very anglo-centric statement. This isn't the view of other cultures per se. Many eat rabbits, but we also keep rabbits as pets. The french breed horses specifically for eating, but in America it's completely shocking.

Dogs were not ALWAYS "man's best friend". We've bread them over time from being scavengers, to being work animals, to being pets & companions. Because of that, it's colored our view on what is, or is not, morally acceptable. Sure, South Koreans breed dogs specifically for their meat, but they also have companion dogs that they don't eat.

The basic error in your statement is that it relies upon a very specific set of moral codes. Codes that some other cultures do not share. Again, see the French and horses...

Not that it matters to the moral superiority of the circle jerk of some of the people on these forums.

And, don't get me wrong. I don't eat dog. Nor would I eat dog. But I'm not going to judge another culture because they breed dogs specifically for meat, when I eat beef, fowl, fish, rabbit & pork. That seems a bit incredulously hypocritical.

If you believe eating something is wrong because it has thoughts and feelings and you eat any meat, I have bad news for you.

Dogs, cats, and horses have been a close allied species to humans for thousands of years. We don't eat them out of respect; our earthen bonds with them are important.

Deleted
    Round and Round we go!

>It's barbaric
    >We eat pigs
    >It's about the treatment
    >Culture
    >It's barbaric
    >We eat pigs
    >Culture
    >It's barbaric
    >We eat pigs
    >Culture

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I have a hard time w/ people eating dogs. I can understand if you're in extreme poverty and that's all there is, but when people begin farming them for the sole purpose of being consumed... Well it just gets me. It begins with irresponsible owners and letting their dogs get out and they fuck like rabid bunnies until there's a whole colony of feral dogs about.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Dogs, cats, and horses have been a close allied species to humans for thousands of years. We don't eat them out of respect; our earthen bonds with them are important.
    Actually people do eat horses, even in Europe...

It's fine especially in cultures that don't raise dogs as pets. In the states, it's too late to add that meat to the palette of Americans.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Eating all meat is wrong to a species that has the technology and intelligence to no longer require it, but I am lazy. Just don't eat my pets or my friends pets.

Dogs are noble creatures with very long history of socialization with people. We worked together to overcome adversity in the old days, and now we welcome them into our homes as friends and companions.

Is it hypocritical? Sure, why not. Don't care. The notion of eating dogs disgusts me to the core and I'll judge anyone that does so.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Dogs are noble creatures with very long history of socialization with people. We worked together to overcome adversity in the old days, and now we welcome them into our homes as friends and companions.

Is it hypocritical? Sure, why not. Don't care. The notion of eating dogs disgusts me to the core and I'll judge anyone that does so.
    Then you won't mind if the people from India consider you a monster for eating cows?

10+ Year Old Account

"I don't have enough mental integrity to overcome my emotional instinct and arrive at objective conclusions."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by New sauce boy View Post
    If you find nothing wrong with eating the animal that is so famously labeled "Man's Best Friend" then there is something wrong with you.
    Oh look, another post lacking logic with an argument that consists of a single judgement and zero rationale.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Nothing's wrong with it. If YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER!!!
    Wow they're all over the place.

Considering im from Europe from my standpoint eating a dog is morally wrong but different cultures different customs, if its ok to kill and eat pigs ( that are smarter than dogs ) then i guess its ok to kill and eat a dog.
    The only problem i see with ppl disagreeing is the fact that humans are more emotionally connected to dogs than other animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you eaten horse meat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    Considering im from Europe from my standpoint eating a dog is morally wrong but different cultures different customs, if its ok to kill and eat pigs ( that are smarter than dogs ) then i guess its ok to kill and eat a dog.
    The only problem i see with ppl disagreeing is the fact that humans are more emotionally connected to dogs than other animals.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you eaten horse meat?
    Some people don't like dogs. Are those people emotionally connected to dogs?

The negative responses one gets is a thread like this are from people who imagine eating their pet, and fail to think any further, instead opting to vomit their visceral reaction onto the forum.

I would never eat dog, having grown up in the US, but adopting a stance of moral superiority for refraining from such behavior is just silly.

I remember when I was in South Korea, I discussed this very topic with some locals at a restaurant and couple of American girls next to me would give us the dirtiest look like we were convicted of some major crime. Especially since it's kinda a part of the culture there. It's like visiting Canada and being disgusted people eat maple syrup.

I see nothing wrong with it. I personally have no interest in tasting dog myself, but I wouldn't judge anyone for doing so. Especially when people in my country (USA) eat an excessive amount of beef and chicken everyday.
    Last edited by Gaagii; 2018-01-12 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Because they dont eat all those things to in asia? they eat that and dogs to.
    And you eat Elk meat or raindeers but they dont....

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because they are far greater for other things other than being food.

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    And you eat Elk meat or raindeers but they dont....
    Nope i dont, you need to go far north to eat those things. I dont eat horse either. We also dont boil the animals alive here, or skin them alive.

I mean it's just meat

In the case you showed it's fucked up as they're tortured before being eaten,but in a more humane slaughterhouse,dog meat is meat