Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    If you can't morally distinguish between animals, there is no point in having a discussion about this because it will never lead anywhere.
    Are you suggesting that there's a moral difference in eating different kinds of animals? If so, why? What makes eating a dog or cat any different, morally, than eating a cow, pig, or chicken? WHY is it morally different?

I can say that based on how I was raised and where I live, I find it more wrong to eat dogs and cats, but that's because I see them as pets not food. That said, in other countries with different values, they may not see things the same way.

Why would my way be "better" than theirs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    You forgot about the horses. I mean ppl in Europe and all over the world eat horses but lets see what impact they had on our lives. Well they helped build cities by pulling insane amounts of weight humans couldnt bring on their own, they helped us connect towns and distances that a human wasnt able to cross in days a horse can in less than a day. They are majestic animals, strong, pretty, dont make good pets but hey they helped build civilizations.
    I don't condone eating horses either for those kind of reasons. Horses like dogs are an aid to humans. We don't raise horses so we can eat them but so they can help us whether it's for farm work or transportation or just as a pet. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that some animals are meant for eating and some aren't and if you eat the animals that aren't meant for eating (horses and dogs) it's going to be looked down upon.

I would say universally in any civilized country horses and dogs are viewed as companions and not food and because of this people have this close bond with them sometimes to the point where they're considered family. So is it really any wonder why it's looked down upon as a disgusting act to eat them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    For me they're too sentient. Please don't compare a dog to a cow or a pig
    You do know that pigs are considered one of the most intelligent animals aside from humans right?
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by New sauce boy View Post
    We don't raise dogs so they can be eaten. Chickens, cows, and pigs are cattle. Chickens are raised for their eggs and meat, cows for their milk and meat. Pigs are straight up food. They are resources as they have been for hundreds of years. Fish are just fish. They're critters of basic instinct that happen to taste good just like crabs, shrimp, and lobster.

Dogs don't provide in the same way cattle animals do. Dogs are smart. They can be trained to do several things other than being pets like helping the disabled and mentally challenged or for other reasons like people with PTSD, being an actual police officer where they can catch criminals or sniff out hidden illegal drugs, finding and help rescuing people trapped in an avalanche or underneath rubble after an earthquake, hunting, or just fun competition.

For those reasons we don't kill dogs to eat them and is why it is looked down on. So with that said you're really going to say there's nothing wrong with killing and eating dogs?
    Pigs are smart animals too though, and they can be trained much like dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by New sauce boy View Post
    I don't condone eating horses either for those kind of reasons. Horses like dogs are an aid to humans. We don't raise horses so we can eat them but so they can help us whether it's for farm work or transportation or just as a pet. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that some animals are meant for eating and some aren't and if you eat the animals that aren't meant for eating (horses and dogs) it's going to be looked down upon.

I would say universally in any civilized country horses and dogs are viewed as companions and not food and because of this people have this close bond with them sometimes to the point where they're considered family. So is it really any wonder why it's looked down upon as a disgusting act to eat them?
    And why do you have the need to label animals like that? As in this animal is ok to eat, this one isnt? Thats what i was asking here? You are not from China so ofc to you the fact that they eat dogs there is repulsive but in China dogs are raised to be used as meat, thats the fact. You look at them as an extension to us as a part of our lives but they are still animals that can be eating. Is it wrong to eat dog, yeah from my standpoint, but not because i look at them as pets or our companions but because here thats a taboo something thats not a part of out culture and they the thing. If i was starving i would eat a dog because survival instincts always win over moral.

Also pigs are considered to be smarter than dogs, they are capable of solving complex puzzles and can be good pets ( small breeds )

But people eat horses, and thats not a taboo subject and its common to see horse meat on a menu...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    I would guess that some ppl object because they consider the former animals to be pets, while the latter are food. Aka irrational moral BS reasons.
    What is irrational moral BS about it?

We bred dogs specifically to be companion animals. They literally underwent artificial selection by us over tens of thousands of years to have qualities that make them them into companion animals.

Conversely livestock was specifically bred over thousands of years to be livestock. We didn't artificially select them to be companion animals, we artificially selected for them to be big and fat, entirely for consumption.

Deleted
    Are you seriously asking what is wrong with eating dogs? Do you also wonder what is wrong with eating humans? Barbarians.

Deleted
    I think it's pretty simple. Domestic dogs are commonly see as companion animals. "Man's best friend". A lot of people accept dogs as part of their family so the idea of one being killed and eaten makes them uncomfortable. The reason this is not the same with pigs or chickens is because we don't typically treat them as companion pets and most of us don't come into contact with them regularly unless we live on a farm. Therefore our emotional connection with these animals is not the same. I personally don't like the idea of eating dog because I've had dog companions my whole life. It's just seen as worse by some people because that are closer to dogs emotionally, basically just a difference of opinion from being brought up in two different worlds. However I also understand that some people in other countries do eat dogs and their cultures and values may differ from mine.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    What is irrational moral BS about it?

We bred dogs specifically to be companion animals. They literally underwent artificial selection by us over tens of thousands of years to have qualities that make them them into companion animals.

Conversely livestock was specifically bred over thousands of years to be livestock. We didn't artificially select them to be companion animals, we artificially selected for them to be big and fat, entirely for consumption.
    Actually they were breed to help us in hunts, to protect us and those dogs ( original dogs ) are nothing like new species or breeds. You can't expect Chihuahua to hunt big pray or help you in hunt, wast number of dogs nowdays are " show dogs " pets that wont be able to survive out on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I know we've had threads about this before but I was looking through petition.org while sipping on a cuppa and enjoying Maryland's biscuits as I usually do on a Friday afternoon, you know, just trying to see what different petitions I can sign and what change I can contribute to society a ritual for me as of late. However, I was shocked to see a petition calling for "Boycott PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics in South Korea, A Dog Eating Nation!" . Isn't this a bit much? I actually love watching the Winter Olympics and have always felt they were more engaging and entertaining than the main Olympics show that draws a much bigger crowd.

The language used in the petition is also strewn with echoes of the all-too familiar Western superiority and even says that eating dogs is barbaric and even uneducated. Really? Uneducated?
    How racist of them to try to force American cultural and norms on a foreign country! Can they just not accept and embrace and celebrate the differences of the Koreans?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant008 View Post
    Are you seriously asking what is wrong with eating dogs? Do you also wonder what is wrong with eating humans? Barbarians.
    From a moral point of view as well as health reason and illegal, there is nothing different than eating a pig. There are probably still tribes in Amazon forest that practice cannibalism, if we ignore the fact that we did have some serial killers that killed and ate humnas.

I have no problem with people eating dogs. My problem is the way they treat the dogs up until the point where they kill them/how they kill them.
    Dog meat is just like any other meat out there, so I have no trouble with that.

One reason why it taboo to me at least was dogs and humans have had along history together. Humans tamed canines many many many generations ago to help hunt before we had fancy tools and companionship.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by yoma View Post
    You do know that pigs are considered one of the most intelligent animals aside from humans right?
    When was I taking about intelligence? Dogs are our companions, we train them, they're aware of who their owner is.

My grandfather owns a dozen pigs. They know jack shit who he is. They can pass the mirror test, but for me they can't pass the human test. Dogs can, cats can, dolphins can as well.

Also there isn't much meat per dog anyway.

Anyway, I think it's funny how nobody comes to save the cow. Poor thing is too tasty to be kept alive.

A pig is as sentient if not more sentient than a dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's wrong with it? From a moral perspective, nothing. From a cultural one, a lot. Some (read, a lot) of cultures consider dogs to be companion animals, not food. Science bears this out: dogs have been bred for tens of thousands of years specifically to communicate and bond with us, and bond they do. Dogs look at humans in the eye (a no-no in the animal world), produce oxytocin when in contact with favored humans, and are the only domesticated animal to seek comfort from humans when afraid or hurt.

This comes down to a cultural clash. There is no solution that both sides can be happy with. It's too fundamentally different.

10+ Year Old Account
    A pig is about as smart as a dog. Pigs are eaten worldwide.

Now, I would not eat a dog because I would personally find it icky, but it is no less moral to eat a dog than to eat a pig. You either accept both (you do not have to eat dogs, just accept that other people do), or neither (and thus go vegan).
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

They are comparable though, not as domesticated but by no means less intelligent/sentient.

easy:

because dogs have much MUCH better uses than being eaten, whereas cows and chickens dont really.

I chalk this up along things I like to call, who gives a fuck?
    Things like gay marriage, eating dogs, eating monkeys(tribes in africa) etc etc.

I disagree with it and I think it's wrong. But who gives a fuck? It is a different culture and it is their right to do these things and I try to have respect for other cultures and their ways of life.