Here's a balance question for you!

Let's say hypothetical spell X was buffed during vanilla from 400 damage to 500 damage and then later to 600 damage.

If we assume #nochanges any of these three numbers would be okay to pick for that spell right?

Let's assume that 550 is actually the number that makes that spell the most balanced. Blizzard would then not be allowed to set it to 550 but instead leave it too strong or too weak?

This is the core argument going on with everything from my point of view. "Classic" means a different time to many people. If someone started playing before Patch 1.6, they argue for no changes that occurred after 1.6 because that's what Classic was to them. But what about someone that didn't start playing WoW until Patch 1.10? To them, Classic means everything from 1.10-1.12. It's not right to say, for example, cross-realm BGs "aren't Classic" just because you don't like them and they weren't Classic "to you." Therefore, I will always be a staunch advocate that Classic definitely means Patch 1.12.

So to stay on-topic, this theoretical spell should be set to the latest value.

Could we have an actual example of this occurring with an actual ability? There may be many reasons why any spell was buffed or nerfed at any point in time.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senka View Post
    This is the core argument going on with everything from my point of view. "Classic" means a different time to many people. If someone started playing before Patch 1.6, they argue for no changes that occurred after 1.6 because that's what Classic was to them. But what about someone that didn't start playing WoW until Patch 1.10? To them, Classic means everything from 1.10-1.12. It's not right to say, for example, cross-realm BGs "aren't Classic" just because you don't like them and they weren't Classic "to you." Therefore, I will always be a staunch advocate that Classic definitely means Patch 1.12.

So to stay on-topic, this theoretical spell should be set to the latest value.
    I played through all of Vanilla. All of it is "classic" to me, not just the patch when I started.

The best option is simply a server that progresses through the patches. No one patch defines the game for everyone, so the clear answer is all the patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Let's say hypothetical spell X was buffed during vanilla from 400 damage to 500 damage and then later to 600 damage.

If we assume #nochanges any of these three numbers would be okay to pick for that spell right?

Let's assume that 550 is actually the number that makes that spell the most balanced. Blizzard would then not be allowed to set it to 550 but instead leave it too strong or too weak?
    rank 1 flash of light is still superior

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I played through all of Vanilla. All of it is "classic" to me, not just the patch when I started.

The best option is simply a server that progresses through the patches. No one patch defines the game for everyone, so the clear answer is all the patches.
    No, I don't think anyone is going to enjoy sitting in 30 seconds fears and polymorphs or getting stunlocked to death because diminishing returns aren't in game yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daara View Post
    No, I don't think anyone is going to enjoy sitting in 30 seconds fears and polymorphs or getting stunlocked to death because diminishing returns aren't in game yet.
    I loved drowning people with sheep and frost nova
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

1. This never actually happened so the question is pretty pointless even as a thought experiment

2. You would LITERALLY NEVER be able to determine that 550 is the "balanced" amount. The game is not designed for everyone to do the exact same DPS like it is now. Any difference in base spell damage is a part of the class design.

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    1. This never actually happened so the question is pretty pointless even as a thought experiment
    Well no, but abilities and talents changed during vanilla. Replace the spell with any of them and the numbers with whatever change was made if that makes it easier for you to visualize.

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    2. You would LITERALLY NEVER be able to determine that 550 is the "balanced" amount. The game is not designed for everyone to do the exact same DPS like it is now. Any difference in base spell damage is a part of the class design.
    Well obviously balance is the sum of all the parts and not down to a single ability, however they have to choose a version that feels right and not just pick one at random.

Well no, but abilities and talents changed during vanilla. Replace the spell with any of them and the numbers with whatever change was made if that makes it easier for you to visualize.

Well obviously balance is the sum of all the parts and not down to a single ability, however they have to choose a version that feels right and not just pick one at random.
    or they could start with patch 1.1 and then go from there through all the patches in classic. with all the balance that came over time. at least that way we would have the aq opening effort and event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    or they could start with patch 1.1 and then go from there through all the patches in classic. with all the balance that came over time. at least that way we would have the aq opening effort and event.
    that would be great experience, except knowing what is coming, stockpiling resources on mules, etc.

On the other hand, it will be really hard for people to go "I'LL ROLL A ROGUE AN BE TOP DEEPS", because they'll spend a year or so being irrelevant damage dealers compared to warlocks. But then tables will turn and people will go "fuuuuu why there is 6 rogues in our raid"

And just to clarify - i don't hate people having fun, i hate it when people talk like "i'm going to roll a priest so i can raid Naxx and be very wanted in these raids, i'm going to hoard up +spellhit gear so i will be ready for razuvious" and that sort of shit, instead of "wow priests are so cool i can keep my allies alive, resurrect people, and even wield forces of shadow to blow enemies minds" like, you know, you did when you started playing vanilla. Now, since everything is already spoiled it just feels so freaking wrong.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2018-01-14 at 11:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.