Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    30 cent increases over ten years doesn't even keep pace with inflation; it's not actually a wage increase.

And no, you have no evidence to support this 'illusion of wealth' argument; it's just another way of saying poor people are poor because they're lazy and stupid.

There's no winning with you people; you don't want public assistance, and you don't want people to be paid decently when they do work either.

It's almost as if your entire philosophy is a crock of shit based on pseudoscience. Imagine that.
    you know, the same pseudoscience civilization has lived on for thousands of years. never once in history has low skilled workers been paid decently. never!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Not really most of these workers either work 2-3 jobs or are on government assistance.
    at $11? sorry but you dont qualify for assistance at that rate unless you are part time... and then we ask, what you doing with your other time? funny how some people make it with the current fed min wage and others couldnt make it if you gave them $20 an hour. guess we need education on how to be poor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    you know, the same pseudoscience civilization has lived on for thousands of years. never once in history has low skilled workers been paid decently. never!
    This is an argument for slavery, you realise? And no, I'm referring to right wing philosophy in general being based on social darwinism, which is a pseudoscience.

Point in fact, it's highly probable that one of the chief reasons for the industrial revolution were high wages. And low skilled workers are paid decently in quite a few countries...just not the late capitalist hellscape that is the United States.

- - - Updated - - -

at $11? sorry but you dont qualify for assistance at that rate unless you are part time... and then we ask, what you doing with your other time? funny how some people make it with the current fed min wage and others couldnt make it if you gave them $20 an hour.
    It's almost as if cost of living varies between states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    They are not forced to in Ohio. Not sure of other states. So, the many Walmart store employees here are going to see a nice bonus and a pay raise. Ohio does have a min wage law, but it is below what the min Walmart pays anyway , but it is by law, adjusted each year according to the cola.
    The average bonus that is being issued out is under $300. That's not exactly what I would call a "nice bonus". It's breadcrumbs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZettZu View Post
    milk is more expensive than that in california with minimum wage at $11..
    our minimum wage is 7.25 an hour and milk here is 3$ a gallon....
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    our minimum wage is 7.25 an hour and milk here is 3$ a gallon....
    We're now at $12 as of January 1st and our milk is $1.89/gallon at Aldi's and $2.39/gallon at Jewel.

It's almost like prices are barely tied to wage increases at all.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    We're now at $12 as of January 1st and our milk is $1.89/gallon at Aldi's and $2.39/gallon at Jewel.

that was sort of my point.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

they laid off thousands of people without warning which could lead to many of them becoming homeless or having issues feeding their loved ones or children... but hey, they gave the people who still have jobs a small increase in pay along with a small chunk of money that won't realistically help them with much of anything(if they're eligible, of course).

they are doing this right now because they just pulled one of the scummier moves i can remember in recent years laying off thousands without warning and they want to rebound with positive news immediately. boycott this shithole(trump btw) company and let it die, buy your shit off amazon or spend a few extra bucks at a different store, walmart will never see another dollar from me.

also, i find it funny that somehow logan paul showing a dead body received more backlash from the public than the laying off of thousands of people without notice... nice fucking priorities america, to be expected though, with donald "shithole" trump calling the shots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that was sort of my point.
    I was adding to your argument not refuting it. It's just weird how some people think everything is so horribly over priced in areas with better wages.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

pretty sure supply and demand is still the top reason for prices being where they are at.

at $11? sorry but you dont qualify for assistance at that rate unless you are part time... and then we ask, what you doing with your other time? funny how some people make it with the current fed min wage and others couldnt make it if you gave them $20 an hour. guess we need education on how to be poor.
    That's actually pretty close to the poverty line for a family and yes we need more education not for the poor but the entire population in general as about 75% of Americans cannot handle a surprise expense of $1,000 or more without borrowing. So it's not a problem of the poor most people suck at handling money in general.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Is that $11 livable across the U.S.?
    That very much depends where you live and what your lifestyle is. For dual-income, no kids families in cheap areas, that turns into ~$45K for a household, which isn't too bad considering the low skill requirement and reasonable number of hours worked to get there. For people in more expensive areas with kids, this is a very tight squeeze.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Is that $11 livable across the U.S.?
    Depends on the location they live in and the circumstances those people are under. In some states such as California, it would be only enough to get by with if you bunk up with others. Even in Ohio, in most cases those are workers who ether still live at home, are married and the spouse works also, or they group up with room mates to afford the rent. But the answer is going to be, yes in some cases, no in others.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    There were a variety of deductions and credits removed with the tax plan. This combined with the increased standard deduction and reduced marginal rates results in slightly lower taxes now (for some - mine personally go up by $1800 for FY2018, and I have a household income of about $75k).

The marginal rate cuts expire over time, but the deductions don't come back. I am not sure whether or not the increased std deduction is permanent either.

So, TL;DR (numbers completely made up for the sake of explaining this) -

You currently pay $5k in taxes for FY 2017. You will pay $4k in taxes for FY2018 due to the rate cuts. You will slowly go back up to $5k in taxes by about 2025. You will owe more than $5k in taxes in 2026 and 2027, as the missing deductions are no longer offset by reduced rates.

That is unless you are deducting a substantial amount over $10k via SALT, or you are deducting mortgage interest on a home over $750k. Or if you have kids in daycare. In any of those cases, you are screwed immediately.
    Which deductions were removed? My understanding is that they were reworked. Meaning, when the tax changes expire, they'll revert back.

Milk being expensive is not really relevant to the the Wages, It would be better to compare it to something like Healthcare.

The reason Milk is increasing in prices is due to people drinking Milk less, Government is subsidizing the slowly dying Milk industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Milk being expensive is not really relevant to the the Wages, It would be better to compare it to something like Healthcare.

The reason Milk is increasing in prices is due to people drinking Milk less, Government is subsidizing the slowly dying Milk industry.
    Healthcare is it's own beast though. It's a system that drops prices depending on the number of people paying into the system. That's not really effected by wages as much as it is by people who cry about having to pay for insurance when they're healthy then expect everyone else to pay their medical bills when an Act of God puts them in the ER.

Healthcare is it's own beast though. It's a system that drops prices depending on the number of people paying into the system. That's not really effected by wages as much as it is by people who cry about having to pay for insurance when they're healthy then expect everyone else to pay their medical bills when an Act of God puts them in the ER.
    Fair enough but neither is Milk I would say if anything Housing is a good indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Nope. Closer to $15 on average.
    Whats funny though is that throughout the decades the minimum wage has always been roughly equal to $9 or less dollars vs inflation when historically graphed. States that have higher 9-10 dollar minimum wages are the highest minimum wages ever vs inflation dating back to the 40's...

http://www.businessinsider.com/feder...-center-2016-3

So its not like its something new...

Minimum wage is something you should live off when your young living with a roomate sharing a 700 dollar apartment with no kids and no bills.. not something you should try to raise a family on... and idk how we got to the point where people think they should be able to settle to flipping burgers as a full time job... as I said earlier go to school get a trade get a job in a company and move up... If your happy with minimum wage then you should be happy with sharing a 1 bedroom app with a roommate for the rest of your life.

so they've made that announcement to make trump look good but threw their employees under the bus by cutting them off, so they wouldn't have to lose a single penny out of their billions...amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    There were a variety of deductions and credits removed with the tax plan. This combined with the increased standard deduction and reduced marginal rates results in slightly lower taxes now (for some - mine personally go up by $1800 for FY2018, and I have a household income of about $75k).

The marginal rate cuts expire over time, but the deductions don't come back. I am not sure whether or not the increased std deduction is permanent either.

So, TL;DR (numbers completely made up for the sake of explaining this) -

You currently pay $5k in taxes for FY 2017. You will pay $4k in taxes for FY2018 due to the rate cuts. You will slowly go back up to $5k in taxes by about 2025. You will owe more than $5k in taxes in 2026 and 2027, as the missing deductions are no longer offset by reduced rates.

That is unless you are deducting a substantial amount over $10k via SALT, or you are deducting mortgage interest on a home over $750k. Or if you have kids in daycare. In any of those cases, you are screwed immediately.
    Well, I'm not deducting a penny for SALT, don't have a million $$ house, nor do I have little kids. So what deductions and credits am I losing?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PogChamp View Post
    they laid off thousands of people without warning which could lead to many of them becoming homeless or having issues feeding their loved ones or children... but hey, they gave the people who still have jobs a small increase in pay along with a small chunk of money that won't realistically help them with much of anything(if they're eligible, of course).

they are doing this right now because they just pulled one of the scummier moves i can remember in recent years laying off thousands without warning and they want to rebound with positive news immediately. boycott this shithole(trump btw) company and let it die, buy your shit off amazon or spend a few extra bucks at a different store, walmart will never see another dollar from me.

also, i find it funny that somehow logan paul showing a dead body received more backlash from the public than the laying off of thousands of people without notice... nice fucking priorities america, to be expected though, with donald "shithole" trump calling the shots.
    Someone else clearly didn't read the article.