Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The kid at the end pretty much implies that there are force users everywhere across the galaxy. Luke constantly points out the foolishness of thinking of the force as merely being a matter of Jedi and Sith, and that really doesn't fly in the face of anything "established" about the force.

You're talking about nebulous space magic. There is no "science" to it.

...Well, Lucas TRIED to put science into it back in Phantom Menace, but it made it supremely stupid. Speaking of episode 1, Qui-gon Jinn was DEFINITELY killed, and he still got to be a force ghost.
    I think what Disney is getting at with the force is that there is always a balance, and that it just exists. Almost as if it's there for who ever wants it. Basically Lucas made the force supernatural, it made the force user unique. Disney has made the force natural, and everyone is oblivious to it.
    I thought the kids at the end was kind of just a call back, I didn't think it was purposely referencing anything. Only that the resistance lives on, regardless if the resistance it self is destroyed.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Marvel is like 60 years of disjointed mess. They took the best of it, reworked what was necessary and created a very successful cinematic universe. They could have done the same with Star Wars. Instead we got a universe that was kept on pause for 30 years, and then someone came along and hit the reset button.
    You do know that’s exactly what there doing with star wars right? Takeing the parts they like and bringing them into cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Imagine the first time people witnessed someone making a fire, mustve been amazing that day.
    A week later, everyone could do it and no one cared anymore.
    I remember when the OT came out, the very next week everyone on my block was writing and directing their own scifi trilogy.

I feel like you are trying to be a Debby Downer on purpose.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    the problem and iv said this day one of disney, is they will push it as a product and not a expansive universe, they care not for the story, they dont care wether things have plot holes, make sense or are good acting. They want to appeal to the most amount of people and gain the most amount of money and anything else they dont give a fuck about. They have a person thats pushing sjw/feminist shit in charge of the direction of the story, a round fucking robin of directors for the different movies, little to no future plan of direction of the series or franchise as a whole. We will not see a live action tv show simply becuase the cartoon seems to please people enough and its far cheaper.

Before disney bought it, it may have not been as mainstream outside of the movies but almost everything was done for the story, to futher the universe, to expand it more, fill in years and time that were left to legends.

Now we have forced comedy, flashy and big explosions, bright laser beams and lense flare regardless if it makes sense, breaks the story, or breaks a established mechanic. We have droids thats look cool instead of function well.

Disney will run it into the ground, milk as much money untill people stop going to or buying its product just becuase it has star wars logo, right now the brand loyalty is selling it purely. I dont go to the star wars movies to see a good scifi movie, i go to it to see a great star wars movies. and right now they are just good scifi movies, but terrible star wars movies.
    So have you read any of the new Disney comics which seem to exist only to expand the universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    So have you read any of the new Disney comics which seem to exist only to expand the universe?
    He won't listen to anything. He has one goal and that is to poop on ANYONE that likes current cannon. I mean don't get me wrong I love the old EU a ton as well. Read a lot of books. But the thing is for me I can still read those books and enjoy them with or without them being cannon. I can enjoy the new stuff with it being cannon and be ok. I don't let things like "mechanics" in a fantasy sci-fi movie determine if it is good or not. He does. Any conversation you have with him will go insanely negative (but I posted this so to be negative against me you might get a positive /cross fingers).

But I will be honest the new comics have been amazing. The 3 new cannon books I have read are top notch (I hear a couple aren't but I don't speak for things I don't read). The movies have been hit or miss for me. I don't think they have found an all time classic yet but they have been entertaining movies for the most part. What more can you ask for? (besides me like the old so old is all that matters /feet stomp)

Familiarity breeds contempt.

As soon as I started reading any of the books, the movies lost my interest. The force is so much deeper than the movies portray, plus Episode 3's acting really killed it for me in general. There could be so much more they could do with it, but they chose to concentrate on a small subset of things.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I think what Disney is getting at with the force is that there is always a balance, and that it just exists. Almost as if it's there for who ever wants it. Basically Lucas made the force supernatural, it made the force user unique. Disney has made the force natural, and everyone is oblivious to it.
    I thought the kids at the end was kind of just a call back, I didn't think it was purposely referencing anything. Only that the resistance lives on, regardless if the resistance it self is destroyed.
    Luke is pretty explicit about your first point when he says “the Force belongs to everyone now!” He clearly worries about the danger of concentrating power and knowledge in the hands of a small number of people - he's seen this first hand with the rise of Kylo and is well aware of the similarities with Vader and the way in which Palpatine managed to subvert the Republic's democracy.

Similarly to you (I think, apols if I've got you wrong) I see the kid as a confirmation that "We are the spark, that will light the fire" is coming true - Rose and Finn have inspired this downtrodden slave as the rest of the Resistance will for many more. But I also think he's a nod to the fact that lots of the story of the SW films is driven by figures from lowly backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    Luke is pretty explicit about your first point when he says “the Force belongs to everyone now!” He clearly worries about the danger of concentrating power and knowledge in the hands of a small number of people - he's seen this first hand with the rise of Kylo and is well aware of the similarities with Vader and the way in which Palpatine managed to subvert the Republic's democracy.

Similarly to you (I think, apols if I've got you wrong) I see the kid as a confirmation that "We are the spark, that will light the fire" is coming true - Rose and Finn have inspired this downtrodden slave as the rest of the Resistance will for many more. But I also think he's a nod to the fact that lots of the story of the SW films is driven by figures from lowly backgrounds.
    The only point on "the Force belongs to everyone now" is I don't think he is saying the force is available to everyone, only that there shouldn't be organizations using the force for their own machinations. I think Disney still set the precedent that only certain people have the ability to use the force when Rey claimed, "there was always something within me" line she dropped. It would also help the whole Snoke situation... If they don't explore his back story it would still help explain how someone so powerful in the force could exist without a teacher. Granted his timeline lines up with being the student of Palpatine and his disdain of Kylo Ren pretending to be Vader would explain that too past the "your being a child" reason that's already be presented.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The main villain of the prequels was a politician, and there was a ton of political commentary surrounding his actions. Hell, you could argue that the prequels were a re-telling of Animal Farm. A dictator that wants all the power using rhetoric and debate to dupe everyone into turning against each other. Chaos ensues. To settle society down they run to a strong man and give all power to the exact person they shouldn't. The puppies that are grown into vicious attack hounds are the clones grown on Kamino.
    Preaching to the choir man. I agree with you completely. The original three movies were also a commentary on the current political climate.

You do know that’s exactly what there doing with star wars right? Takeing the parts they like and bringing them into cannon.
    Not really, they tossed out 99% of the EU material and placed the OT characters in a holding pattern of doing fuck-all until Episode VII, so they really can't bring anything from the Post ROTJ EU back into canon now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Watch Star Wars Rebels

7+ Year Old Account
    Not really, they tossed out 99% of the EU material and placed the OT characters in a holding pattern of doing fuck-all until Episode VII, so they really can't bring anything from the Post ROTJ EU back into canon now.
    the post rotj canon was the worse part of the eu so i'm totally fine with them leaving most if not all of it not.

the post rotj canon was the worse part of the eu so i'm totally fine with them leaving most if not all of it not.
    Thrawn trilogy, X-wing series? Shadows of the Empire is also a good piece of the EU that can easily be plugged right back in the current canon without it causing any waves, but has been relegated to Legends status(WTB CG SotE movie).

7+ Year Old Account
    Thrawn trilogy, X-wing series? Shadows of the Empire is also a good piece of the EU that can easily be plugged right back in the current canon without it causing any waves, but has been relegated to Legends status(WTB CG SotE movie).
    i know thrawn atlest is back in the cannon not that i know how he is as I've not watched rebels or red his books. my biggest problem with the eu is every thing after ROTJ there were a few story's i liked before then like death troopers and what not and some i liked in the old republic but i can't think of a single one i liked that took place after episode 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    He won't listen to anything. He has one goal and that is to poop on ANYONE that likes current cannon. I mean don't get me wrong I love the old EU a ton as well. Read a lot of books. But the thing is for me I can still read those books and enjoy them with or without them being cannon. I can enjoy the new stuff with it being cannon and be ok. I don't let things like "mechanics" in a fantasy sci-fi movie determine if it is good or not. He does. Any conversation you have with him will go insanely negative (but I posted this so to be negative against me you might get a positive /cross fingers).

But I will be honest the new comics have been amazing. The 3 new cannon books I have read are top notch (I hear a couple aren't but I don't speak for things I don't read). The movies have been hit or miss for me. I don't think they have found an all time classic yet but they have been entertaining movies for the most part. What more can you ask for? (besides me like the old so old is all that matters /feet stomp)
    Saying stupid shit like ITS SCIFI FANTASY IT DONT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE is beyond dumb. It just goes to show you think very little while watching it are are just attracted to the bright lights and explosions and lightsabers. Things in starwars had a reason, rules and mechanics to why they happned, just saying its scifi doesnt mean it should all go away to retarded level of bullshit disney is making it to be just to apeal to people like you who are distracted by lights and explosions. The new movies have been ok scifi movies but terrible starwars movies. the old EU is and will remain to be far better, more fleshed, more details and have much better characters than this trash disney has been shoveling to the mass's like you.

Things in starwars had a reason, rules and mechanics to why they happned, just saying its scifi doesnt mean it should all go away to retarded level of bullshit...
    Please name just 5 things that make Star Wars warfare superior to what we have now.

Saying stupid shit like ITS SCIFI FANTASY IT DONT HAVE TO MAKE SENSE is beyond dumb. It just goes to show you think very little while watching it are are just attracted to the bright lights and explosions and lightsabers. Things in starwars had a reason, rules and mechanics to why they happned, just saying its scifi doesnt mean it should all go away to retarded level of bullshit disney is making it to be just to apeal to people like you who are distracted by lights and explosions. The new movies have been ok scifi movies but terrible starwars movies. the old EU is and will remain to be far better, more fleshed, more details and have much better characters than this trash disney has been shoveling to the mass's like you.
    I know somewhere in here I am suppose to feel something.. but.. it just missed the spot. I think if it was coming from someone with the respectable ability to display an opinion without pointless insults and childish antics it might have. But.. its you.. and you are always you.. and thus.. just don't matter. In honor of you and this post I will purchase an online ticket to The Last Jedi. With someone as strong as an opinion as you.. damn.. disney has earned this ticket sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    I know somewhere in here I am suppose to feel something.. but.. it just missed the spot. I think if it was coming from someone with the respectable ability to display an opinion without pointless insults and childish antics it might have. But.. its you.. and you are always you.. and thus.. just don't matter. In honor of you and this post I will purchase an online ticket to The Last Jedi. With someone as strong as an opinion as you.. damn.. disney has earned this ticket sell.
    how is it childish to point out that someone is part of the problem. putting a blanket statement that something doesnt need to make sense to happen cus its scifi fantasy is by far the stupidiest statement one cant make and only proves to show ignorance. Go ahead and go watch the movie and revel in the flashy lights and explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
    Dunno, I can still feel the magic when watching the original trilogy or when playing certain games.

But the new movies? It looks like their writers have absolutely no idea what Star Wars is about. Nothing but lost potential, both in Star Trek and Star Wars. Lucas scetched a tremendously rich world and, despite of many awkward things in the prequels, vastly expanded it further. Until Abrams shrunk it without any explanation.

And TLJ? It's literally two hours of the First Order chasing one Resistance cruiser at sublight, while the supposedly most powerful Force user who has ever lived does nothing but whines on a little island. And the setting in general -- wtf happened to the galaxy-wide Republic? One pesky group of space nazis obliterating it entirely without a fight? Nothing in the new movies make sense in any context. Their main purpose seems to be to intentionally ruin everything for old fans by finding retarded ways to kill off all the classic hero characters.
    And ESB is just the story of the Empire attacking a base on the ass end of nowhere then pursuing one ship before Vader invites everyone for dinner, while Luke receives basic philosophy lessons from a small, trolling old man. I feel that you can make anything sound bad if you're reductive enough.

Maybe it's because I never watched the Star Wars movies in my youth (well apart from the prequels actually) but I never felt this magic. They're entertaining movies that have some hugely iconic visual and audio designs, but were I to do a list of my favorite movies I'd struggle to put a single Star Wars flick in the top 20. I just don't have the reverence for any of them that some people seem to have.