Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    As far as I got from the Chronicles lore books (my understanding, don't take this as absolute truth), most, non titan-forged, mortal creatures seem to have evolved from elementals. Seems like with enough exposure to the spirit of life, over enough time disconnected from respective element energy, they become fleshy. On Draenor the clear examples are the Collosal-Orc Breaker line, were we see each "generation" become more fleshy and more 'human'.
    On Azeroth, we see pretty much every elemental plane having their own version of dragons, if those were common in primordial Azeroth, I guess that's why there were dragons of so many colors and different breath attacks. One race evolved from many elemental versions. I also like to think of Gilblins as, rather than being a gimmick, is a hint that the Goblin race evolved from a type of water elemental.

As for trolls, they don't really seem close to any animal, so I would assume, as someone already said, the Zandalari scales are from millenia of dinomancy. I can easily see rituals of blood drinking or heart eating, or even simple totem ornaments, to help warriors embody the strength of the Ravasaur or the cunning of the raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    trolls are actually covered in fur
    Yeah several of the troll races are supposed to have fur but with the new troll models having visible warts and shit I wonder how much of that it true anymore.

I don't interrupt their skin as scales, more rough skin.

Really I've always got an elephantine vibe from Zandalari trolls. I know it's most likely purely coincidental, but their tough skin, their curved tusks and their stocky feet just give them that vibe.

Speculation: First trolls were the descendants of escaped elementals that went on a little rampage. Catching it first before the other Keepers, Freya unleashed powerful nature magic that gradually transformed their bodies fleshy and made them mortal as a side effect. Seeking out knowledge, they began worshipping Freya's "children" (many Loa being Wild Gods) and slowly creating a civilization.

You could explain the scales by the constant use of dinomancy which could have left some permanent markings on the people as a whole over time (honestly zandalari druids should go full on dinomancy but that's a different topic).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shouldn't evolution try to improve things?
    Why would dinosaurs regress like that

Quote Originally Posted by Korsha View Post
    As far as I got from the Chronicles lore books (my understanding, don't take this as absolute truth), most, non titan-forged, mortal creatures seem to have evolved from elementals. Seems like with enough exposure to the spirit of life, over enough time disconnected from respective element energy, they become fleshy. On Draenor the clear examples are the Collosal-Orc Breaker line, were we see each "generation" become more fleshy and more 'human'.
    On Azeroth, we see pretty much every elemental plane having their own version of dragons, if those were common in primordial Azeroth, I guess that's why there were dragons of so many colors and different breath attacks. One race evolved from many elemental versions. I also like to think of Gilblins as, rather than being a gimmick, is a hint that the Goblin race evolved from a type of water elemental.

As for trolls, they don't really seem close to any animal, so I would assume, as someone already said, the Zandalari scales are from millenia of dinomancy. I can easily see rituals of blood drinking or heart eating, or even simple totem ornaments, to help warriors embody the strength of the Ravasaur or the cunning of the raptor.
    I had thought that the pre-titan species of azeroth all evolved from the ancients.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Shouldn't evolution try to improve things?
    Why would dinosaurs regress like that
    My troll disposes of dinosaurs pretty easily, so it's probably a bit of an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    You could explain the scales by the constant use of dinomancy which could have left some permanent markings on the people as a whole over time (honestly zandalari druids should go full on dinomancy but that's a different topic).
    They aren't scales. They're stone-like growths. Look at how they protrude on both Rastakhan and Jin'rokh. Those aren't scales. And as someone else pointed out, they really do resemble the growths Proto-drakes have on their legs.

Still going to be betting that they're Elemental descendants, just like Dragons.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point, I'm hoping that Elune turns out to be a Titan and they are her creations. If every playable race doesn't end up with a Titanic origin imma be upset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    My troll disposes of dinosaurs pretty easily, so it's probably a bit of an improvement.
    If your troll was instead a dinosaur with the armor and weapon of your troll, that would be 1000x more fearsome and cool

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    If your troll was instead a dinosaur with the armor and weapon of your troll, that would be 1000x more fearsome and cool
    I can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    trolls are actually covered in fur
    Jungle and Ice Trolls, yes. Sand Trolls have no fur, Forest Trolls have moss and Zandalari have scales.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    At this point, I'm hoping that Elune turns out to be a Titan and they are her creations. If every playable race doesn't end up with a Titanic origin imma be upset.
    Given that Old Gods had the ability to bestow the Curse of Flesh upon Titanic races, perhaps the original fleshy races that weren't created by the Titans were instead created by Old Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDragon View Post
    Actually Forest Trolls do have fur, moss-infested fur at that.
    ... I CALLED IT! Trolls are direct descendants to sloths!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I don't interrupt their skin as scales, more rough skin.

Really I've always got an elephantine vibe from Zandalari trolls. I know it's most likely purely coincidental, but their tough skin, their curved tusks and their stocky feet just give them that vibe.
    Same.

I believed them to be a "Elephant people" for a long time actually whilst leveling up on my first journey through the game.

7+ Year Old Account
    even mammals came from reptilian ancestors, so trolls could me some kind of evolution like this,it would be alot of interesting if thy make that canon.

But animals in general, where did they came from? from wildgods? elementals-only? evolution trough bilions of years like with us? all of this? trolls and other animals could be in any of those situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    They aren't scales. They're stone-like growths. Look at how they protrude on both Rastakhan and Jin'rokh. Those aren't scales. And as someone else pointed out, they really do resemble the growths Proto-drakes have on their legs.

Still going to be betting that they're Elemental descendants, just like Dragons.
    you call that stones, i call scales

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    i mean, they're not stones really.. but they're rock-like protrusions.

trolls are thus far the most ancient race known on azeroth, along with aqir and dragons. of trolls, zandalari are the oldest breed, all others stem from them.

so imo, their primal physiology makes sense. zandalari just haven't changed since their evolution, while other trolls did. two of three of the examples of primal life have these protrusions, and aqir didn't even evolve from elementals. so i think it's possible that's what this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    even mammals came from reptilian ancestors, so trolls could me some kind of evolution like this,it would be alot of interesting if thy make that canon.

But animals in general, where did they came from? from wildgods? elementals-only? evolution trough bilions of years like with us? all of this? trolls and other animals could be in any of those situations.

- - - Updated - - -

I take it in context with other features. Trolls really don't even look slightly reptilian. In a proto-drake's case, it could be scales. In a troll's case, it's probably rock-like protrusions. Similar growths also exist in the Ogre family on Draenor. Every race with similar features tends to be an elemental descendant.
    Last edited by KrakHed; 2018-01-14 at 02:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why reinvent the wheel with logic? They are not rocks growing out of them - they are bony protrusions likely made of the same shit their tusks are made of.

I'm sticking with the "dinomancy causes badass looking mutations" theory. It has some backing, check out Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm sticking with the "dinomancy causes badass looking mutations" theory. It has some backing, check out Archdruid Malfurion Stormrage.

That is armor he is wearing. Unless you mean the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Why reinvent the wheel with logic? They are not rocks growing out of them - they are bony protrusions likely made of the same shit their tusks are made of.
    Their tusks are teeth, and a different color from their rock-like protrusions. And rock-like protrusions aren't unique to Trolls. Jin'Rokh's rather extreme case somewhat resembles what you see in cases like the Gronn.

They may be "bony protrusions", but the resemblance is to rocks. Maybe Gronn don't have literal rocks either, but the intention is clearly to resemble stone. With our Zandalari fellows, they also resemble rocks embedded in their flesh. Especially when they grow out and start protruding.

So far, these bony protrusions seem tied to beings with significant elemental heritage or ties. Drogbar also have similar rocks embedded in them.

In short, embedded rock growths/bony formations are typically a sign of Earth descent. Trolls could very easily be Earth Elemental in origin.
    Last edited by KrakHed; 2018-01-14 at 06:10 AM.