Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Gas may be vital, but CO2 emissions, oil spills and air pollution are not. There's plenty of blame to go around here. Holding oil companies responsible will encourage them to look for practical solutions to these problems. It is certainly possible to cut down on all of those problems dramatically through regulation and new technology. But the oil companies will not do that on their own. People and the government must force them to comply. It is in our interest to do so.
    new technology is unreliable, inefficient and expansive. Oil is cheap and very dependable at this time. Gov't should invest in new alternative to make to competable to oil. Not tax oil to make other sources of energy competable artificially.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You seem to be missing the whole concept of 'willful malfeasance'. "New Yorkers" aren't spreading misinformation and suppressing facts in order to continue making a profit off something eminently harmful to society; oil companies were actively engaged in such and still are, by and large.
    we are all profiting of this. Oil is a cheap source of energy that we ALL use. Our hands are as dirty as theirs. We have limited source of income and we can not afford expansive source of energy for day to day life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Now let's talk about the welfare handouts the oil corps get from the same evul gubmint:

and when you add in the international totals, it's far worse:

http://priceofoil.org/fossil-fuel-subsidies/

When NYC has to start spending billions to build dikes and seawalls to keep the ocean from inundating their subway system, then you'll see why they have every right - even obligation - to sue the oil barons.
    Acceptable loss. We have managed to upgrade our standards of living using oil. Why should we decrease our standards of living using expansive energy source?

Quote Originally Posted by mich4el View Post
    Just lol at believing in global warming scam in 2018
    the planet went through climate change since forever there were many global warming and ice ages throughout the history of the planet
    How do you know this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Lol @ the people saying oil companies should stop selling fuel to hundreds of millions of people, losing out on profit and driving down oil prices in all other markets.

Fucking business geniuses, over here.
    Not to mention all the corporate offices in New York, both for the banking and oil industry. The State could seize billions in their assets overnight if the oil companies tried such bullshit.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just lol at believing in global warming scam in 2018
    the planet went through climate change since forever there were many global warming and ice ages throughout the history of the planet
    Yes but they are normally spread over millions of years, not decades. Think.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    new technology is unreliable, inefficient and expansive. Oil is cheap and very dependable at this time. Gov't should invest in new alternative to make to competable to oil. Not tax oil to make other sources of energy competable artificially.

- - - Updated - - -

we are all profiting of this. Oil is a cheap source of energy that we ALL use. Our hands are as dirty as theirs. We have limited source of income and we can not afford expansive source of energy for day to day life.

- - - Updated - - -

Acceptable loss. We have managed to upgrade our standards of living using oil. Why should we decrease our standards of living using expansive energy source?
    Spelling correction (expensive not expansive). That is a bit confusing.

Saying new technology is unreliable, inefficient and expensive is not true. That is a very broad statement. If you want to be more specific maybe we can have a discussion.

Governments tax energy consumption. And they don't do it to make other energy sources more competitive. They do it because they want tax money to fund the government.

The point you should have been trying to make is that governments regulate oil companies.

But it is in our interest to not let oil companies pollute the environment just to provide us with slightly cheaper oil. Would you pay 5 cents more a gallon to avoid poisoning your environment? I would.

It is a mistake to think that we are all limited to using oil and that change is not just around the corner. New tech is extremely promising and already being implemented and used as we speak. Your hands are as dirty as you want them to be. There is no place for old companies dragging their feet and trying to prevent change in this world.

“Come senators, congressmen
    Please heed the call
    Don't stand in the doorway
    Don't block up the hall
    For he that gets hurt
    Will be he who has stalled
    There's a battle outside ragin'.
    It'll soon shake your windows
    And rattle your walls
    For the times they are a-changin'.”
    Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    If I were CEO of one of these oil companies, I would immediately cease and desist with all shipment and sales of any oil-based products to the greater NYC area and advise the CEO's of the other companies to do the same. After all, NYC clearly doesn't want to contribute to global warming, so they should be just fine without any access to gas or fuel, right?
    this here tells me i have the right to sue new york and any other major producer of green house gasses. time to get lawyer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    I am pretty sure New York government already bought oil derivatives many time during its existance, therefore, also contributed to Global Warming.

SUE THEM !
    They bought them without being shown the evidence gathered by Exxon in the 70s that burning fossil fuels had an adverse effect on climate. Withholding that information is exactly what, and why, that makes them liable.

If people want to talk conspiracies and cover ups, there's a huge one right there you can look into.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I still wonder to this day how the fuck people go through the mental gymnastics when basically everyone agrees CO2 (and others) are green house gasses, humans emit a fuck ton through energy production and use and our agricultural practices. Common sense would say most of that is probably excess when added to the natural cycle and yet they still deny they have any influence. I guess dinosaurs were flying around in private jets and burning hella coal back in the day too
    They keep being told that there's still a debate over it, even though the debate was settled 20-30 years ago and the science and research has moved on to better quantify it, and what the hell to do about it. All the vested interests need to do is create a perception of debate by throwing money at people with loud mouths to say there's a debate because they found some hack who denies it.

Literally hundreds of thousands of scientists have gone through the system trying to disprove it, not one has come close, every one of them has only added to the datapile to refine our models for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    It's not an acceptable loss when the oil corps (or any company or individual) are making record profits as many are, or even decent profits, on top of being handed billions in gov't welfare payments (aka "subsidies"). The monies should be used elsewhere and those companies can spent their profits, not sock it away to the executives in ridiculously bloated salaries, bonuses, perks, stock options, and stock buy-backs.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2018-01-15 at 01:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind as I am anti civilization and less pollution is better
    however global warming is a scam to get more money and for carbon tax. I just want us to run out of oil so civilization collapse if that happen our planet could have a chance to recover
    You're anti-civilization yet still using the internet. 'Kay, Felicia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.