Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Anyone use OkCupid? I have a couple questions

So I just joined OkCupid yesterday, and within the first hour of joining, I got 3 likes. In the approximately 20 hours since then, I've only gotten 2 more likes. Any particular reason for that? Is my profile more visible to others immediately after joining or something?

I liked one woman and sent her a message, and it says she liked me back yesterday, but she hasn't replied to my message yet, even though it says she's been on since then. No, my message wasn't "sup?" or anything stupid like that. Is it normal to wait that long before replying to someone you liked? Not sure if she didn't get my message, or just changed her mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like she liked it and that’s it. If she hasn’t replied back then that’s all she wants it to be.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Most likes and messages you get on any dating websites are from bots ment to encourage you to pay for a subscription fee to read their messages.

I haven't, but it's a good idea not to hyperfixate on replies or one person in particular. Think of dating as like fishing, you'll get someone who shows significant interest eventually.

OKCupid is trying to balance themselves between the traditional yet free dating site they used to be and the quick-fix-flip that is Tinder.

They are doing a piss-poor job of it.

One of the rules they recently implemented - which I'm actually OK with - is that you can't send messages to someone unless you've both "liked" each other.

Their main goal is to drive people to subscribe to find out who liked them.

Anyway, I'd suggest going with Plenty of Fish now, it's still kinda ghetto in comparison to the slickness and variety of quizzes and such that OKCupid brought to the table but what it mainly offers you that OKC doesn't is the ability to view those who look at your profile.

10+ Year Old Account
    I met my now wife on there 6 years ago. Don't know how its changed since then but seemed decent back then.

Most dating sites nowadays are scams. They lie and use bots to encourage you to spend money on them for little or no gain.

Those early likes are possibly bots. I wouldn't worry too much about a single mutual like not messaging back, just keep doing the swipe thing and try to get conversations started.

I haven't been on okcupid since they removed the "see who views your profile" thing cause it was so damn scummy to remove that option and their reply was shit, so it wouldn't surprise me if it has gone down hill to the point of using bots to promote paying for shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Sounds like she liked it and that’s it. If she hasn’t replied back then that’s all she wants it to be.
    Isn't the image in your sig from Flight of the Navigator?

Back OT, I've neared a lot of good things about OkCupid in the past but never personally used it so unsure how it might have changed over time.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    So I just joined OkCupid yesterday, and within the first hour of joining, I got 3 likes. In the approximately 20 hours since then, I've only gotten 2 more likes. Any particular reason for that? Is my profile more visible to others immediately after joining or something?

I liked one woman and sent her a message, and it says she liked me back yesterday, but she hasn't replied to my message yet, even though it says she's been on since then. No, my message wasn't "sup?" or anything stupid like that. Is it normal to wait that long before replying to someone you liked? Not sure if she didn't get my message, or just changed her mind.
    There's an episode of Big Bang Theory in which Sheldon is playing online Scrabble with Steven Hawking. Sheldon becomes distressed because Hawking isn't immediately completing his round.

If you can't figure out this, in reference to your own situation, I do not have pity.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Me and my fiancee met on OkCupid. My advice, be as honest on your profile as possible. The keepers actually read it
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

OKCupid recently changed their messaging system so that you have to like someone before you can read their message. So that means she noticed you and liked your profile. Whether or not she liked your message I cannot say.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Isn't the image in your sig from Flight of the Navigator?

Back OT, I've neared a lot of good things about OkCupid in the past but never personally used it so unsure how it might have changed over time.
    NICE EYE Yep, you nailed it, should give you a prize seriously. Bonus points if you can identify the scene and what is supposed to be taking place hehe!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    NICE EYE Yep, you nailed it, should give you a prize seriously. Bonus points if you can identify the scene and what is supposed to be taking place hehe!
    I haven't seen that movie since I was super young lol. I think the kid and the alien were attempting to go back through time but forgot why the alien said it was hard to do, but right after that scene the kid is lying back in the forest in the past where he fell and time resumed normally. And he kept that cute little alien lol.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I haven't seen that movie since I was super young lol. I think the kid and the alien were attempting to go back through time but forgot why the alien said it was hard to do, but right after that scene the kid is lying back in the forest in the past where he fell and time resumed normally. And he kept that cute little alien lol.
    31 Years man 31! You nailed it. you're a damn eagle eye!

I've signed up for okcupid yesterday. Got 4 likes back so far, but meh, not terribly promising.

Got matched on tinder with this cute little blonde.

Tried a new opening line, she hasn't responded yet, which might be bad.

The line was "Are you my appendix? Because I don't know anything about how you work, but this feeling in my gut is telling me to take you out"

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I've signed up for okcupid yesterday. Got 4 likes back so far, but meh, not terribly promising.

The line was "Are you my appendix? Because I don't know anything about how you work, but this feeling in my gut is telling me to take you out"
    Why? Everyone sends some line to try to be funny but when everyone does it then it gets tedious instead.

Hah! Sorry could not resist.

Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2018-01-14 at 11:27 AM.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Why? Everyone sends some line to try to be funny but when everyone does it then it gets tedious instead.
    My first time trying a joke as an opening line. Just trying for some variety.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Hah! Sorry could not resist.

Oh yeah, I admit I shamelessly stole the line from an article on Tinder pickup lines.

My first time trying a joke as an opening line. Just trying for some variety.
    Puns based on the name can be funny if they are good but most jokes suck. xD