Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    It was all a conspiracy to destroy the original copy of Obama's birth certificate by nuking the entire island chain. /sarcasm
    It's a sad state of affairs when I could genuinely see myself reading this on somewhere like The_Donald.

What a fucking balls up!

Missile alert as it appeared on TV in Hawaii

Someone at Hawaii Civil defence pressed the wrong button

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's still freaking scary. Even if nothing actually happened, that's a lot of panic going on over 'nothing'
    Indeed.

People scared into a frenzy are bloody scary...

The guy spends more time at the golf course than the white house, pretty funny if it wasnt tragic.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-01-14 at 06:30 AM.

Oopsie poopsie.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Someone just got fired.
    Seriously. And I thought jumping a line in a weekly report was a big mistake at my job.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2018-01-14 at 06:32 AM.

What is the process of sending such an alert? How does such a clusterfuck of a mistake manage to happen?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    What is the process of sending such an alert? How does such a clusterfuck of a mistake manage to happen?
    Usually when checking equipment and someone forgets to do the proper procedures to ensure that it is an isolated system check drill. That's the most common to my knowledge at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    A little while ago, people in Hawaii were alerted to an incoming ballistic missile, after that the whole incident was declared a mistake.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42677604
    https://apnews.com/6e1ee9a16db740588dd9e3a3513da17d

Now people are circulating rumors that there was a missile that was shot down. Anyone heard anything more about this event that is happening right now?
    It was luckily a false alarm.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I've got a few friends in Hawaii, two of them sent me the alert after things had all calmed down. Was funny that some mobile networks got the alert, and others didn't. There was also a video going around (I guess was on the news) of people climbing into a manhole to hide. I guess if you really think it is legit and have 15 minutes to hide, you're going underground one way or another.

At the very least it taught some people that no, you are really not prepared for the real deal, it may be a good idea to GET prepared. As was alluded to earlier in the thread, you'd really have at best 15 minutes, and if you reacted at the exact time of notification, you'd have next to zero chance of getting to a real shelter. WWII era stuff in Hawaii is pretty much still in WWII shape!

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    If the headline contains a question mark, the answer is always "no".
    Yep the Betteridge Law of Headlines

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bett...w_of_headlines

15+ Year Old Account
    What if someone would have done something bad? Jumped off a roof? I saw some troll saying he fucked his sister in that apocalypse scenario.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    What if someone would have done something bad? Jumped off a roof? I saw some troll saying he fucked his sister in that apocalypse scenario.
    count on that somebody DID such stuff.

A few beers and an alarm button.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    there is a simple solution: if the big boom doesnt happen within 20 minutes it was a hoax. ok, thats a daring test....

Deleted
    Conspiracies are not allowed

Deleted
    I'm not saying it was Aliens but...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Why do they even bother having a missile warning system in Hawaii. If there really was a missile fired at Hawaii, there isnt anywhere on the island you could go and survive a missile strike anyway. It would be better for people there to just be oblivious that a missile is incoming than be all panicked
    Considering that it's still an extremely important naval base for the U.S. Navy, I'd be surprised if it didn't have shelters of some kind.