Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Jeremy Corbyn: 'We are not calling for second Brexit referendum'

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-01-14/j...it-referendum/

Jeremy Corbyn has said Labour does not support nor will be calling for a second Brexit referendum but sidestepped the question as to whether he could change his stance in the future.

The Labour leader told ITV's Peston On Sunday: "We are not supporting or calling for a second referendum. What we have called for is a meaningful vote in Parliament."

When it was put to Mr Corbyn that he was not saying he would never support another referendum, the Labour leader said: "We are not calling for one either".

Asked about the single market, the Labour leader told Robert Peston that remaining in the trading arrangement was dependent on being in the EU.

Mr Corbyn said: "The single market is dependent on membership of the European Union.

"Do we have a trading relationship with Europe which is tariff free, which is based on access to that market, and access of Europe to our market? Yes.

"Do we push for that in the negotiations? Yes. Is that what we have said to the European Union in opposition? Yes."

In the same interview, Jeremy Corbyn distanced himself from the so-called "special relationship", saying the US is not Britain's most important relationship with another country.

Mr Corbyn was asked by Robert Peston if Britain's relationship with the US was the most important relationship it has with another country.

The Labour leader replied: "No. I think there are many important relationships.

"The US one is obviously culturally and economically significant and important.

"Also the trading relationships we have around the world with obviously the EU, but also with India and China and the rest of the world are very important.

"Also our relationship with international institutions such as the United Nations is very important.

"The biggest disappointment of Donald Trump is, apart from his endless offensive remarks about women, about minorities and about different faiths, is his failure to support international institutions like the United Nations and like Unesco."
    I really wish Jeremy Corbyn wasn't the Labour leader

10+ Year Old Account
    Comrade Corbin is one of the reasons why I'm no longer a member

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    replace him then, he is as stupid as Farrage on the matter.

Well considering no politician outside of the Lib Dems has come out supporting a second referendum then why would Corbyn? Especially since it's the Labour parties worst kept secret that he's a closet Brexiteer.

Despite surviving the GE Labour hasn't really sorted itself out yet, it's still completely split between it's factions but they seem content to keep a lid on it atm. This isn't the same as uniting tbe party though and they will implode again. Brexit seems to have completely paralysed our politicians and whilst the Government has no ideaa what to do, neither does the opposition. Anyone know what "meaningful vote in Parliament" means yet? No? Well neither does Corbyn.

In fairness though at least he acknowledges that you can't be in the Single Market without being in the EU. So he's already leagues ahead of the government in realistic expectations for Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Comrade Corbin is one of the reasons why I'm no longer a member
    not leftist enough huh?

You need somebody like stalin or trotskiy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitro View Post
    not leftist enough huh?

You need somebody like stalin or trotskiy?
    Too left thus the comrade

Deleted

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Well considering no politician outside of the Lib Dems has come out supporting a second referendum then why would Corbyn? Especially since it's the Labour parties worst kept secret that he's a closet Brexiteer.

Despite surviving the GE Labour hasn't really sorted itself out yet, it's still completely split between it's factions but they seem content to keep a lid on it atm. This isn't the same as uniting tbe party though and they will implode again. Brexit seems to have completely paralysed our politicians and whilst the Government has no ideaa what to do, neither does the opposition. Anyone know what "meaningful vote in Parliament" means yet? No? Well neither does Corbyn.

In fairness though at least he acknowledges that you can't be in the Single Market without being in the EU. So he's already leagues ahead of the government in realistic expectations for Brexit.
    a Norway model then or Switzerland-like treaties. but four freedoms are in the basket usually.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2018-01-14 at 07:52 PM.

I'm not sure he is in a position to push for an end to Brexit. At best, repealing Brexit has the support of what 55% of the people or so? It would be just as messy to undo what has already been done as it is going forward, with lots of bad side effects that would then get blamed on him.

From a political standpoint, as long as the Tories stay strong in support of Brexit, there is no going back. They won, and unless there is a HUGE outcry against it, it is going to be implemented. From what I can tell, support for Brexit may have slipped A LITTLE BIT. But not enough to warrant the hassle and risks of repealing it.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.itv.com/news/2018-01-14/j...it-referendum/

I really wish Jeremy Corbyn wasn't the Labour leader
    Why? I thought you didn't want another referendum?

Deleted
    Good ol 7/10 Corbyn at it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    a Norway model then or Switzerland-like treaties. but four freedoms are in the basket usually.
    Norway has 20 times fewer people and produces twice the oil of UK. You don’t have the leverage on energy, which has a segnificant impact through all of your production. UK cannot be Norway...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Why? I thought you didn't want another referendum?
    I don't but I also don't particularly like Corbyn or trust him

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Lol at so many 3rd way labour/blairites supporters here on MMO-C.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the current UK position but it's still locked into "all of the money making stuff but with complete autonomy". One thing we do know for certain is that Freedom of Movement is a no for the British public even though that likely means giving up Northern Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Too left thus the comrade
    Good for you

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Lol at so many 3rd way labour/blairites supporters here on MMO-C.
    Anyone with any knowledge of UK politics knows that the 3rd way is the only way that Labour will get re elected.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I'm not sure how familiar you are with the current UK position but it's still locked into "all of the money making stuff but with complete autonomy". One thing we do know for certain is that Freedom of Movement is a no for the British public even though that likely means giving up Northern Ireland.
    my examples were in response to "no single market access without being EU member". Norway's EEA solution is an alternative or the bilateral treaties of Switzerland

and nice scenario in your last sentence; would UK sacrifice NI to get their cake ?

Deleted
    my examples were in response to "no single market access without being EU member". Norway's EEA solution is an alternative or the bilateral treaties of Switzerland

and nice scenario in your last sentence; would UK sacrifice NI to get their cake ?
    The retards who voted Leave probably don't even realise that Ireland is 2 nations.

Well considering Norn Iron will not accept any kind of border between either itself and the Republic of Ireland or itself and Great Britain (that's Scotland, England and Wales) then something has got to give somewhere.