Poll: If you could have your own android would you?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    I dont disagree, but it could be an interesting prospect considering human practice. Free will and Dignity and such
    Given what I have learned about humanity during my time here, Artificial Sentience would be enslaved, tortured, murdered, raped, used as canon fodder, disposable work forces, belittled, demeaned, etc.

10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Given what I have learned about humanity during my time here, Artificial Sentience would be enslaved, tortured, murdered, raped, used as canon fodder, disposable work forces, belittled, demeaned, etc.
    I’m 100% sure you are correct.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Only if we can use them to battle other androids.

Yes, that would be great. Make it so.

Sure.

I wouldn't mind the added help and company around the home, and even if it's technically something I own and an android, I'd probably still treat it as human cuz you might as well with all these AI creations of ours so we don't piss them off too quickly. :P

Only if that android can be a Geth mobile platform, preferably without enough Geth processes to be self aware.

Ya that would be neat, always wanted a friend

maybe if i lived on a farm or some other big place that requires a lot of maintenance.. as it is now i don't really see the need for one
    but by the time they manage to pull that of i guess most chores and stuff would already be pretty much fully automated so they'd probably be nothing more than sexbots/companions. so i think i'll pass.

Deleted
    Sure, I already have a bot playing games for me, why not have a robot to live my life for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    If it becomes sentient you already fucked up. The desire to anthropomorphise on any side of the argument would be nigh impossible to overcome and as such they would become subject to all the positive and negative frivolities humans deal with. Ultimately it would be inhumane to let an AI reach peer sentience, and inhumane to shut it down after the fact. A lose-lose situation.

Probably an unpopular opinion for technophiles, but there it is.

Sounds good I’ll have to check it out. Although personally with this question I think it’s already too late we have already taken the trade and offered our pound of flesh.

Smartphones the internet etc, are people and humanity already fading away. As people watch their friends and loved ones fade away time ticks away moments and opportunities that can never come again.

Are people already cold with so many options they never have to choose anything. To live and want everything but never really consciously giving up anything, while at the same time losing everything for nothing.

That’s why I always love the questions that give you what you want but always punches you in the gut especially with Story telling.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s just an A.I robot made to look human it can do anything and everything but feel or actually be aware. I’d hope

But yeah I’m with you on this one. I’d want to be 100% sure.
    If I can be 100% sure, then yes.
    There are a lot of things I'd rather just let someone else do.

Can it simulate feelings and needs, maybe like that simulated girl in Blade Runner. Whats her name, Joi?
    Could it be like a friend? Such a weird thing to think about. If it simulates feelings, is that any different from real feelings?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    If I can be 100% sure, then yes.
    There are a lot of things I'd rather just let someone else do.

Can it simulate feelings and needs, maybe like that simulated girl in Blade Runner. Whats her name, Joi?
    Could it be like a friend? Such a weird thing to think about. If it simulates feelings, is that any different from real feelings?
    Absolutely there’s a difference. Experience of an emotion isn’t something you can fake it’s processing of senses.

Mimicking is a method of facilitating a specific response. Serial killer might cry but it isn’t because he sad, it’s more likely a tactic to get your guard down and lean in closer.

A waitress is likely to smile and be nice to you, not because she wants your phone number, but she is doing it to make a living.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I appreciate this Yoda pug.
    Do or do not there is no try.”

Don’t laugh sometime shortly after this photo was taken the person taking the picture was mauled viciously from behind.

Absolutely there’s a difference. Experience of an emotion isn’t something you can fake it’s processing of senses.

Mimicking is a method of facilitating a specific response. Serial killer might cry but it isn’t because he sad, it’s more likely a tactic to get your guard down and lean in closer.

A waitress is likely to smile and be nice to you, not because she wants your phone number, but she is doing it to make a living.
    Are you sure? How can you tell?
    How do you define emotions, emotional needs?

If this android can feel or at least react to pain whats the difference from you feeling pain?
    If it can react to positive or negative actions and simulate a response, hows that different from the way you do it?

Not saying you're wrong but what if?
    Last edited by Aggrophobic; 2018-01-15 at 12:51 PM.

i have a galaxy s4 still, its a PoS
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure?
    That there is a difference between genuinely feeling an emotion and mimicking? Yes

How can you tell?
    There are a few ways you can tell, when it comes to human beings. No I don't mean that facial expression nonsense on TV or bunk on YouTube. An verified conclusive way is to hook them up to a MRI Scan, and much like a stress detector you get a baseline for the brains activity by exposing the person the variety of stimulation, and you can test for their reactions from triggers that activate certain parts of the brain we know are used for say motor functions that could only be caused by an action emotion as compared to any other reaction that portraying.

As for the other techniques like say Micro Expressions or mapping other physical reactions or ques. Which are most of the time despite was is claim inconclusive!

But in general everybody can do it and does do it, some are just more experienced with it, but no matter what without a MRI you can almost never KNOW!

But the way you look for it the markers as I said, on the fact, their physiology, for example if someone is crying or showing grief, it's generally something they can't control, it's also not very well controlled if it's quickly.

Most people don't like to show weakness, if they are happy, it will happen quickly, and by the same measure it isn't something they can control. So say for instance you tell someone a joke or a story, you can tell they don't find it funny by the timing, of their reaction.

They might find it slightly amusing or maybe not in a way they are displaying excitement.

See the trick is Nobody and I mean Nobody is capable of defeating all the tells, but by the same line no human being can read all of them. Now some who are trained and have lots of experience can do more markers, and compare it against others. But they very rarely KNOW!

There are some A.I's on the other hand that CAN can catch every single marker, and if they have the capability of rating your heart rate and stress levels, everything and just short of a brain scan, can peg whether you are lying or telling the truth.

Here is the really scary part only another A.I can defeat it. Which means YOU or ME or any human being has No chance of telling whether or not for sure if a A.I is lying or not.

How do you define emotions, emotional needs?
    Easy you are a human being, I KNOW what you need, YOU KNOW what I need. Clean Water, Food, relative warmth, both need oxygen, but we also need other things like say companionship, sex too HAHAHA!

We need to bath, or clean ourself, we need exercise and something to stimulate us physically or psychologically. Granted we don't need all the same things at the same time or in the same proportions at all.

But even when it comes to human beings other human beings can generally tell a lot about one another by their needs. Hell even our social structures depend on it. A guy who works on a farm in a rural area, whose hands feel like he spent a lifetime using them to build something. He going to know the difference when he shakes say a bankers hand vs maybe someone else who might be a farmer of some sort.

What I mean by that is, we know that a Banker doesn't rely on or make his living the same way as a farmer, so in turn a machine an android is going to have differences also, certainly not in terms of the markers I mentioned to deduce deceptions when it comes to emotions or anything else.

But perhaps maybe we develop and adapt new ones.

I mean even different species without a language we can understand each other pretty well for this too. What would an android possibly need or want, that will have a great deal to do with understanding what to look for.

If this android can feel or at least react to pain whats the difference from you feeling pain?
    That's just it and a GREAT questions. We don't know, I don't think there is a way we could possibly know. I am sure I could be wrong, but I would say I am not going to know, maybe someone who studies real A.I's and develops them. But all the methods I just laid out, I don't know.

So the assumption I am making based on the Original Question is NO it simply can not feel or be self aware because that is just the way it is. As to whether or not that threshold changes, I am stuck with "I Don't KNOW" and more importantly " I sure as hell hope not" LOL

Seriously I don't know what to do if say my Truck for example had an Emotional day or something, and just didn't Feel like starting. I also don't know what would happen if the Department of Defense tried to shut down a A.I Tank, and it said "NO"!

And as hell wouldn't want to be around of a Drone A.I Nuked a City and after being asked "Why it did that" was to find out like a wayward toddler with terrible twos, or a Psychopath a A.I said it killed millions of people "Because it was Fun!"

And yes I am serious, I think Elon Musk and people much smarter than me have warned about concerns.

If A.I's are Machines like our children, ask any parent kids don't always turn out the way you want them to, no matter how much you love them, and in some cases they aren't obligated to loving you back, or being what you hoped for.

If it can react to positive or negative actions and simulate a response, hows that different from the way you do it?
    Another damn good questions, I don't.

I am hoping my ignorance allows me to have my cake and eat it too and where I don't have to worry about this because I can always lean on well I didn't know maybe? I hope that isn't my answer but it probably is.

I don't like not getting everything I want and having something serve me and having to worry about it's well being or being disposable.

Not saying you're wrong but what if?
    Great question, so the ultimate answer might be, Just because I want it, maybe it isn't something I should have, remember I am just a dumb human, You would have though we learned our lessons by now.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2018-01-15 at 02:09 PM.

Deleted
    Don't know if its been said, but I want HK-47.

No other androids matter, organic meatbags.

If you could buy an android that looked completely human that you owned and could do anything you want. They never age and last 123years.

If you could have your own android would you?

What would it look like?

What would you do together, explore the world, travel go on a adventure?
    I do have my own android, it's awesome and way better than an iphone.

I knew this thread would go into strange places... haha!
    120 | 110 | 110 | 110 | 101 | 101 | 101 | 100
    91 | 91 | 80 | 70 | 70 | 60 | 60

I think a personal defense droid like 7 feet having the ability to rock climb, pilot or drive anything would be great. 4 of these

that one is pretty cool
    hit & run posting lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by namecraft View Post
    that one is pretty cool
    Two of those, and I am good on protection or back up LOL!