Moving windows 10 to a different hard disk

So right now I have a single HDD with windows 10 installed on it. I upgraded from windows 7 when it was still given for free.

Now, I want to buy an SSD and have my windows on it instead, so my question is: If I install windows on the new one, will I still have windows 10? I still have the installation disk of 7.

Also, do I have to format my HDD or is there a way to just move/copy my windows to the new disk? I'm pretty new to this

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    If you format, you will lose your win10 key, only option is to back up then restore the installation.
    PM me weird stuff :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Could do a couple things.

First and foremost, get your Windows key. Write down/save both your Win7 and Win10 key it became.

That said, I'd normally recommend doing a clean install of windows. Just install Win10 on the SSD and use one or the other key provided. There's a small possibility it won't activate (I haven't done an install in the last week, and supposedly it changed)

Otherwise, you can just use something like Macrium Reflect and clone your current drive to the SSD and that's pretty much it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

You can do several things you can do

You can mirror your operating system from your Harddisk onto the SSD;
    You can get a 8-16gb flash drive (usb stick), download Win 10 installer onto that one and use it to install win10 on the SSD'

In any case, the installation should be able to recognize the product key. If not, you can see the key if you go and right click on "Your pc" (not sure what the english term is, I was stupid enough to get win10 installed in native languege) and click properties, the product key should be stated in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Long version with explanations.
    I've done the free upgrade to Win10 with multiple systems and since then reinstalled Win10 on said systems. How it works is that when you ran the upgrade process for the first time, unique identifier key for your system was generated based on your hardware configuration (motherboard & CPU specifically) and was stored on Microsoft servers.
    There is no product key for your Win10 installation in conventional sense, that's why during the installation you need to simply skip the product key step when installation asks for it. When you get to desktop, have your drivers installed and have internet connection again, your Windows 10 will contact Microsoft servers and run through the activation process (you can also run it manually). It should generate same identifier you got during original upgrade (as long as your motherboard and/or cpu has not changed) and should activate it without any product key at all. That's at least how its been working for me all these years.

Just short version.
    You should just need to download Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft. Use said tool to download Win10 installation image and create installation USB stick. Use that to reinstall Windows 10 on the new SSD while skipping the product key during the installation, run activation and it should just work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alextros View Post
    You can do several things you can do

You can mirror your operating system from your Harddisk onto the SSD;
    You can get a 8-16gb flash drive (usb stick), download Win 10 installer onto that one and use it to install win10 on the SSD'

In any case, the installation should be able to recognize the product key. If not, you can see the key if you go and right click on "Your pc" (not sure what the english term is, I was stupid enough to get win10 installed in native languege) and click properties, the product key should be stated in there.
    Be aware that the product key is not the same as the serial required during installation.

To retrieve the Serial you need to either do as chazus says using a Key retrieval tool, or dive into the Registry and do a little hex conversion on the DigitalProductID in local/software/microsoft/windowsnt/current which is basically f0 02 43 fa 42 04 0a 03 82 etc etc etc. The tools do the conversion for you, but this can be useful to know for situations when you have no access to the tools because of no internet or a PC that you are forced to use command line due to a failure.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2018-01-13 at 04:30 PM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

its best to clean install W10 to your SSD. it's what I did.

my windows key was attached to my MS account so it auto-activated when i logged into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    If you format, you will lose your win10 key, only option is to back up then restore the installation.
    You wont loose your key with a format as the digital entitlement to Windows 10 is attached to your MS account (if you use that) and to a "hardware ID" on MS their activation servers , which means that after a format you just need to enter your MS account and it will activate on first login or if you don't use a MS acccount just activate it in the settings panel and if you didn't make any hardware changes (like replce motherboard) that would change the hardware ID it will also activate fine.

One issue can come up if you dont have a MS account tied to the machine and you changed hardware. Then it won't just activate automaticly anymore. However if thats the case just use a valid Windows 7 or 8(.1) installation key in the Windows 10 setup screen when it asks for they key and it will also activate correctly and create a new hardware ID for the new configuration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chronia View Post
    You wont loose your key with a format as the digital entitlement to Windows 10 is attached to your MS account (if you use that) and to a "hardware ID" on MS their activation servers , which means that after a format you just need to enter your MS account and it will activate on first login or if you don't use a MS acccount just activate it in the settings panel and if you didn't make any hardware changes (like replce motherboard) that would change the hardware ID it will also activate fine.

One issue can come up if you dont have a MS account tied to the machine and you changed hardware. Then it won't just activate automaticly anymore. However if thats the case just use a valid Windows 7 or 8(.1) installation key in the Windows 10 setup screen when it asks for they key and it will also activate correctly and create a new hardware ID for the new configuration.
    Windows 7 key doesn't work for windows 10 activation, that is the problem. If you had W7, upgraded it to w10, your old w7 key will only fit w7 installation, and there is no longer a way to upgrade w7 to w10.

Seeing some confusion in here.

Copy down the key if you want but you shouldn't need to. I've reinstalled Windows 10 recently using my 7 key and it activated with out issue once it connected to the internet due to the hardware ID being tied to the install.
    Last edited by SoulForge; 2018-01-15 at 03:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 7 key doesn't work for windows 10 activation, that is the problem. If you had W7, upgraded it to w10, your old w7 key will only fit w7 installation, and there is no longer a way to upgrade w7 to w10.
    nope you can just run the windows 10 installer in windows 7 and it will work. Also i've had win 7 COA's wor with windows 10 as well

I'd say try it out, it works perfectly fine Atleast with Retail or Upgrade key's, OEM Key might be different (havent tested, i only have retail and upgrade key's) because the key on the COA is not always the real key thats used for activation with machines from the big OEM's like Dell / HP and the likes.
    Last edited by chronia; 2018-01-15 at 05:53 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Walmorn View Post
    Long version with explanations.
    I've done the free upgrade to Win10 with multiple systems and since then reinstalled Win10 on said systems. How it works is that when you ran the upgrade process for the first time, unique identifier key for your system was generated based on your hardware configuration (motherboard & CPU specifically) and was stored on Microsoft servers.
    There is no product key for your Win10 installation in conventional sense, that's why during the installation you need to simply skip the product key step when installation asks for it. When you get to desktop, have your drivers installed and have internet connection again, your Windows 10 will contact Microsoft servers and run through the activation process (you can also run it manually). It should generate same identifier you got during original upgrade (as long as your motherboard and/or cpu has not changed) and should activate it without any product key at all. That's at least how its been working for me all these years.
    I can confirm this, was reinstalling W10 on PC that was bought with W7 and went through the upgrade process, the original W7 key was not taken, so I just skipped it. Took a few minutes after the install finished for W10 to verify it's legal copy.
    For completeness, I burned the W10 install disc when it was released or shortly after, with the first "SP" (I know they are no longer called service packs but I still call them so, for shortness). If you download that now from microsoft, it'll be completely with the latest "SP" - Fall Creador's Update or how it's named.

Moving storage should be just a simple cloning job. Just clone the full drive, not single partitions.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    He don't have to. He just has to install Win 10 and log into he's MS account and then he's Windows 10 is activated again. As long as he doesn't do any big Hardware upgrade, then he's Win 10 key will work on a re-install.

The Win 7/Win 10 upgrade key logs to your Motherboard. so as long as it is the samme board, then there is no problem in installing a new Win 10 on a new SSD
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2018-01-15 at 07:29 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    He don't have to. He just has to install Win 10 and log into he's MS account and then he's Windows 10 is activated again. As long as he doesn't do any big Hardware upgrade, then he's Win 10 key will work on a re-install.

The Win 7/Win 10 upgrade key logs to your Motherboard. so as long as it is the samme board, then there is no problem in installing a new Win 10 on a new SSD
    MS account was already covered, never used it myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Inumuta View Post
    nope you can just run the windows 10 installer in windows 7 and it will work. Also i've had win 7 COA's wor with windows 10 as well
    Sounds plausible, will try it next time we have to reinstall w10 upgraded PC

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest whatever you do, do so immediately. To my knowledge, the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 expires tomorrow (Jan 16, 2018) per microsoft.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevrex View Post
    So right now I have a single HDD with windows 10 installed on it. I upgraded from windows 7 when it was still given for free.

Now, I want to buy an SSD and have my windows on it instead, so my question is: If I install windows on the new one, will I still have windows 10? I still have the installation disk of 7.

Also, do I have to format my HDD or is there a way to just move/copy my windows to the new disk? I'm pretty new to this

Thanks
    All you have to do is DL Win 10 from Microsoft or somewhere else (Doesn't matter). Then install the Win 10 on the SSD and then log on with your MS account and Windows will activate it self. The key you got when you upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 will still work.

You will only lose the key if you upgrade your motherboard.

I installed the Win 10 on a new disk after the free upgrade and it worked fine when i log on to Win 10 with my MS account

So don't Install your old Win 7. Just DL Win 10 and install it and log on with your MS account and then you are good to go
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: