Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Using a Trump tweet as a retort? Not smart.
    The joke is Obama's response to this. "At least I will go down as a president."

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    You conveniently left out the groping and kissing parts of Roy Moore's misbehaviour. I think that's called arguing in bad faith. Kids these days might call it sealioning.

Alone with Corfman, Moore chatted with her and asked for her phone number, she says. Days later, she says, he picked her up around the corner from her house in Gadsden, drove her about 30 minutes to his home in the woods, told her how pretty she was and kissed her. On a second visit, she says, he took off her shirt and pants and removed his clothes. He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear.

Hell of a way to just "ask someone out".
    Always good to set the facts straight but I don't really see the point of arguing who is worse, I'm sure they can be ranked on the creep scale but why bother when we can just all agree they are both creeps and move on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Damn, I honestly don't recall either Bush being that popular at any point in office. 80% approval rating a year in is solid.
    Note the date. Day 238 of the Bush II Presidency, when his approval suddenly shot up into the 80s, was September 15, 2001.

On day 233 (September 10th), he was at 51.7% approval.
    Last edited by Masark; 2018-01-16 at 05:06 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    is that confirmed? bottled coffee beverages were also in teh list of getting taxed AND as far as I'm aware, the sugar content of teh syrups used in the production of most latte is enough to fall under teh scope of the bill.
    Sorry that was full on sarcasm. I find flavored latte's to be entirely gross.

But ya, there was a loophole for milk-based drinks. Somehow lattes get out of the tax for being "milk based". Along with; regular milk, soy milk, and almond milk are not hit by the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Always good to set the facts straight but I don't really see the point of arguing who is worse, I'm sure they can be ranked on the creep scale but why bother when we can just all agree they are both creeps and move on.

Um no, they intentionally tried to diminish his grossness by saying "he was just asking her out". Good luck with moving on after going that far to give a creep so much plausible deniability.

This is so gross I gotta rinse with some Squirt.
    Last edited by Milchshake; 2018-01-16 at 05:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I got the numbers off of http://drudgereport.com/
    It might be a good idea to update the OP then with the actual figure since a bunch of people in the thread are believing the made up number from the OP. 1.75x12x24=$5.04 tax on a 24 can case or only a $2.52 tax on the 12 can cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get back on topic instead of derailing with comments on comparing presidents or candidate child molestation

Sorry that was full on sarcasm. I find flavored latte's to be entirely gross.

But ya, there was a loophole for milk-based drinks. Somehow lattes get out of the tax for being "milk based". Along with; regular milk, soy milk, and almond milk are not hit by the tax.
    I was under the impression that the syrups used in them didn't make the cut and are still part of the tax. Alongside ready-made coffee beverages.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Are you against tobacco tax as well?
    That's the primary example, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Um no, you intentionally tried to diminish his grossness by saying "he was just asking her out". Good luck with moving on after going that far to give a creep so much plausible deniability.

This is so gross I gotta rinse with some Squirt.
    You mixed up me with another poster, I never said that. I just found the arguing silly.

-------

I'm sorry Crissi but that bothered me a lot, just wanted to clear that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aoyi View Post
    It might be a good idea to update the OP then with the actual figure since a bunch of people in the thread are believing the made up number from the OP. 1.75x12x24=$5.04 tax on a 24 can case or only a $2.52 tax on the 12 can cases.
    His numbers really weren't that far off, it's $8.99 for a 24 pack of soda according to Target. $5 tax for $9 worth of soda is pretty obscene.

https://www.target.com/p/coca-cola-s...s/-/A-13219265

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    His numbers really weren't that far off, it's $8.99 for a 24 pack of soda according to Target. $5 tax for $9 worth of soda is pretty obscene.

https://www.target.com/p/coca-cola-s...s/-/A-13219265
    5$ tax for a 24pack, will driving to another town be a valid option?

It is a stupid tax. Has been tried in other places and has failed. Too much crap has too much sugar these days and picking on sugary drinks is not the solution. People will still buy it and on this one I say it will affect the poor more. Just like cigarettes and alcohol nobody stopped buying it because of tax as a deterrent. In some great place I would love it to stop consumption and make our society "healthier".

The return of taxing sugar and what in return that money goes to help fund say better school lunch programs or to combat obesity, but I take it goes into the general slush fund so again what is the benefit. Little if none.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

If you stock up on soda maybe. People drink far more than one 24-pack for a household per month.

10+ Year Old Account
    damn whats the beer tax there?

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Soda tax does not affect the soda in the grocery stores to the best of my knowledge. Only the over-counter fountain sales. It's not that big of a deal and Seattle will survive. It's stupid, but that's Seattle sometimes.

Im all for taxing soda and other sugary foods but that sounds pretty extreme. Seems like they should make the tax a more reasonable amount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wars have started over less.

Also, instead of taxing soda, why subsidize healthy options if the goal is to get people to make healthier choices?

People drink soda because its cheap and widely available. I go to the Walmart get my water then some none water. Can get 5 tons of soda for $0.50. Half an ounce of green WTF juice cost $30 (of course Im making up units and prices but you get the point). Okay lets be more realistic. I can go to the local gas station and get a gallon of soda for $0.79 or pay $3 for 8oz of some real orange juice. Thats why people buy soda.

Introducing a tax helps but not much. People are already hooked/in their ways, unit prices are still better healthy options, "well at least my coke is now helping the city" (sugar taxes are typically in cities with good social/public programs so you see the fruit of your taxes).
    Last edited by PACOX; 2018-01-16 at 05:57 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It's what happened in Illinois last year (Cook county) and the tax wasn't even as high as the one in Seattle. People were driving out of the county and stocking up for several months. The tax was repealed in less than 5 months I think.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2018-01-16 at 05:59 AM.

seems insane but i live in the UK and 20 cigarettes are around £9 it's basically 75% tax 25% item cost.

i don't smoke but only a 40% tax? pffft that's nothing.

Terrible, I mean sugar is good for you and the more you have the better you life will be and the healthier you'll be. Oh wait, not at all.

In Canada the taxes on tobacco products eventually ended up paying for a good portion of the cancer treatments.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the taxes on tobacco encouraged - at least in part - people to quit smoking.