Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Democrats in the Senate have 50 votes now to overrule the FCC on Net Neutrality

This is good news. Under the Congressional Review Act, it takes just a simple majority to overrule a federal regulation enacted in the past 60 days and Chuck Schumer says there are now fifty votes in the Senate to do just that, meaning they need to flip just one more Republican to undo the damage the corporate stooge running the FCC did last month.

Democrats are also vowing to make net neutrality a campaign issue, one I imagine vulnerable Republicans don't want to be dealing with with the fat albatross named Donald Trump shackled to their ankles this year given how popular net neutrality is in polling.

Dear Odin,

Please give one Republican a brain for a moment and join the fuck train against the asshole running the FCC.

Forever in Your Service,
    BlackMage66652

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage66652 View Post
    Dear Odin,

Please give one Republican a brain for a moment and join the fuck train against the asshole running the FCC.

Forever in Your Service,
    BlackMage66652
    Well, like I said, net neutrality polls very well so I doubt any Republican wants to be in this position right now where their choice is siding with Trump and his corporate stooge and defending the destruction of the internet as we know it or siding with their constituents.

One would think it's not a hard decision to make given how unpopular Sweet Potato Saddam is.

10+ Year Old Account
    No they're not... has to pass BOTH chambers of Congress, and then be signed by Trump. So they are roughly... zero percent of the way to overruling the net neutrality repeal.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Somehow the Republican party will screw this up.
    They already did... this would be them screwing up the fix.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    This is good news. Under the Congressional Review Act, it takes just a simple majority to overrule a federal regulation enacted in the past 60 days and Chuck Schumer says there are now fifty votes in the Senate to do just that, meaning they need to flip just one more Republican to undo the damage the corporate stooge running the FCC did last month.

Democrats are also vowing to make net neutrality a campaign issue, one I imagine vulnerable Republicans don't want to be dealing with with the fat albatross named Donald Trump shackled to their ankles this year given how popular net neutrality is in polling.
    Does it just take a Senate vote to undo a federal regulation? No House vote? Just 51 yes' and we're good? Because if so that is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Does it just take a Senate vote to undo a federal regulation? No House vote? Just 51 yes' and we're good? Because if so that is outstanding.
    No, the article says it still has to pass the House and be signed by Trump.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    No, the article says it still has to pass the House and be signed by Trump.
    I think it would have helped a LOT if I had read the article. More coffee is needed here. Thanks for the response and not slaying me for it.

Sadly it probably won't go anywhere in the House, even if it passes the Senate. They didn't win over a particularly revolutionary Republican vote - Collins has been on the fringe with Democrat issues for a while now. Plus, more than 100 members of the House wrote a letter of explicit support for Ajit Pai's lunacy, and Trump himself spoke out against net neutrality in several of his campaign events even in the unlikely event that it gets to his desk.

(Inc the usual suspects to talk about net neutrality killing competition and other complete nonsense, wearing their typical teflon suits that resist all logic and data)

Almost zero chance of the gerrymandered house doing the right thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Somehow the Republican party will screw this up.
    That makes it all the better of a campaign issue in the 2018 elections. Although it will be unfortunate that the repeal of NN is what it takes to make Americans sane again and not high off of nationalist populism.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    That makes it all the better of a campaign issue in the 2018 elections. Although it will be unfortunate that the repeal of NN is what it takes to make Americans sane again and not high off of nationalist populism.
    It won't even make them sane again, that's the sad part. Just look at the conservatives here - if they're not going through incredible mental gymnastics to defend Ajit Pai's actions, they're just ignoring the issue altogether. I think I've seen maybe one explicitly go against the party line.

That's just incredible given that obviously, every one of them uses the internet and should want it to thrive. Just imagine the broader conservative/independent public as a whole that may not use the internet as much or understand it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    It won't even make them sane again, that's the sad part. Just look at the conservatives here - if they're not going through incredible mental gymnastics to defend Ajit Pai's actions, they're just ignoring the issue altogether. I think I've seen maybe one explicitly go against the party line.

That's just incredible given that obviously, every one of them uses the internet and should want it to thrive. Just imagine the broader conservative/independent public as a whole that may not use the internet as much or understand it.
    The technology gap is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Maybe congress should pass laws rather than letting 3-5 bureaucrats no one elected create law. Can Democrats sponsor a clean net neutrality bill? Or would they flood it with pork because the headline generation (as proven numerous times in this very thread) are incapable of reading and understanding context?
    The FCC did it because we just had 6 years of "NO".

Can congress do it? Yea probably not until 2020 though.

Republicans control the house and the presidency. There is zero hope of NN existing again until that changes.

Grab your keyboards My Internet warriors we have one more battle to win.

Surely some swing state Republican can be swayed if we try hard enough?

Quote Originally Posted by gsfgsjjkg View Post
    Grab your keyboards My Internet warriors we have one more battle to win.

Surely some swing state Republican can be swayed if we try hard enough?
    Yeah Murkowski most likely.

But it won't matter (in terms of actually passing), this is DOA in the House, and if it miraculously passes there, Trump is almost certain to veto. Zero chance of a veto override with current seat distribution, especially given that Trump would take a veto override as a personal affront from any GOP Senators or Reps that voted to override.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Maybe congress should pass laws rather than letting 3-5 bureaucrats no one elected create law. Can Democrats sponsor a clean net neutrality bill? Or would they flood it with pork because the headline generation (as proven numerous times in this very thread) are incapable of reading and understanding context?
    Enough elected people who are borderline mentally self appointed experts.....So what the F does it matter if they are elected or not? Having people actually knowing this shit is more important than having idiots being elected for certain rolls.

Problem is ofc that for the right-wing the donors come first and then everything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have an opinion. Do you know anything about network topography and infrastructure? Commerce law? 1st amendment?
    Yes on all... now what?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The whole reason we have the FCC and other regulatory bodies, empowered by Congress, is because they can move faster than Congress on issues that need immediate results, and they can be staffed by people that are specifically knowledgable in the domains that they regulate. We'd have even more disfunction, at an exponential rate, if we left this stuff only to Congress.

And as for your later mentioning of internet and networking... the people who invented the thing and the people who know the most in the world about networking say net neutrality is a foundational requirement for the internet to function correctly and as it was intended. Hell, if anyone said net neutrality should be left to corporations during the internet's inception, they never would have expanded beyond ARPA/DARPA and NSFnet (the early internet disallowed corporate involvement in the backbone for this very reason, in fact).