Thread: fat vs thin

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Question fat vs thin

Anyone else find it interesting how centuries ago only the wealthy/nobles were fat because they could afford to eat rich foods & lots of it while the common folk were thin because often they had no food but currently the wealthy are thin because they can afford to eat the "right" foods & exercise while the poorer folks are fat because they can't afford to eat the "right" foods?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    currently the wealthy are thin because they can afford to eat the "right" foods & exercise while the poorer folks are fat because they can't afford to eat the "right" foods?
    ???

This is not the case. Everyone can eat healthy. Most are just too lazy to do so or don't know what to do with produce. The "right" food is right there.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else find it interesting how centuries ago only the wealthy/nobles were fat because they could afford to eat rich foods & lots of it while the common folk were thin because often they had no food but currently the wealthy are thin because they can afford to eat the "right" foods & exercise while the poorer folks are fat because they can't afford to eat the "right" foods?
    Wouldn't call it a 'vs' thread, to be honest but you are right to a point. Of course there are the poor who feel they need to reduce their food to live better, so they stay thin, and the rich who believes that since they can afford it, it is okay to be fat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldon View Post
    ???

This is not the case. Everyone can eat healthy. Most are just too lazy to do so or don't know what to do with produce. The "right" food is right there.
    I think the OP means more, the chances of cheap healthy food is slimmer than the chance of a happy meal on discount.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    And that's a shame. In my country, most people usually eat fried pastries instead of a good, healthy meal. After work, they'll usually go eat some hamburguers, because "it's easier", and we more than 50% of our population are currently overweight. This number will only go up.

Deleted
    ???

Agreed. It's an excuse that many people use because they aren't willing to eat healthy or even spend too much time on cooking.

There are entire YouTube channels where people shop in budget supermarkets (like Lidl for example) and manage to eat a healthy, varied dinner every day.

Deleted
    ???

In Mexico sugar-filled soda is cheaper than water. What do you think Luciana age 21 with 3 kids and a boyfriend in prison buys for her kids?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    There are entire YouTube channels where people shop in budget supermarkets (like Lidl for example) and manage to eat a healthy, varied dinner every day.
    Yeah, and those are the same kind of people who actually plan meals ahead and BUDGET their income. Some people don't have time or the know-how to do that. Stop trying to overencompass everyone just because some twat on youtube can do it.

Because REAL food, as in the stuff that's actually good for you, costs more than the artificial crap, so it's more cost effective to get more of the cheap shit than less of the healthy shit.

I do find it funny that the stupid expensive stuff, like Whole Foods, is actually the kind of stuff everybody used to eat several decades ago. Healthy, organic foods are now such a rare commodity that they can charge $3 for one fucking apple, or $9 for a lb of grassfed beef.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    In Mexico sugar-filled soda is cheaper than water. What do you think Luciana age 21 with 3 kids and a boyfriend in prison buys for her kids?
    I just laughed so loud I probably woke up my neighbors :-) Well played.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Thin and bucketful people never understand fat and uglys.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Agreed. It's an excuse that many people use because they aren't willing to eat healthy or even spend too much time on cooking.

staying thin (or, to be more precise, not getting fat) is actually fairly simple and revolves around reducing sugar intake and not eating anything with too much sugar/carbs after lunch. With that and minimal amount of exercise I was able to lose 1kg/week for 16 consecutive weeks. All it takes is a little will and self control, which I think is the main reason the rich are thin nowadays - they have the discipline to adhere to this.

???

Time and Equipment and Knowledge are the main limiting factors here.

For example, Time. I often work 90+ hours per week. I have no time to cook food at home, or even grocery shop. I'm beholden to what my roommate decides to buy.

Equipment. I've lived in two apartments in different cities where the oven wouldn't get hot enough to cook anything. And as a poor student, my cooking equipment was limited to a pan, a crappy knife, a toaster, and a microwave.

Knowledge. I've made things for people (I am skilled at this), and heard people say things like, "Oh, you can just make your own salad dressing???" I am not kidding.

The quote you're responding to is somewhat trying to say that poorer folks are more likely to suffer from those three things.

And damn, if I don't have time to cook, I definitely don't have time to jog.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Time and Equipment and Knowledge are the main limiting factors here.

For example, Time. I often work 90+ hours per week. I have no time to cook food at home, or even grocery shop. I'm beholden to what my roommate decides to buy.

Equipment. I've lived in two apartments in different cities where the oven wouldn't get hot enough to cook anything. And as a poor student, my cooking equipment was limited to a pan, a crappy knife, a toaster, and a microwave.

Knowledge. I've made things for people (I am skilled at this), and heard people say things like, "Oh, you can just make your own salad dressing???" I am not kidding.

The quote you're responding to is somewhat trying to say that poorer folks are more likely to suffer from those three things.

And damn, if I don't have time to cook, I definitely don't have time to jog.
    well, if you ate your roommate's food, maybe you could've just given them some pointers as to what you'd wish to find in the fridge. After all, you did pay them for the food you ate, didn't you? To eat healthy, you don't have to cook anything btw. Quality ham, some vegetables, fruit, butter (actual butter, not margarine), eggs, cheese, cottage cheese is all you need to have home to eat healthy.

I know the concept of eating warm lunch as the main meal of the day is strange in most western countries, but trust me, it's much better for you. If you make lunch your main meal, you don't really have to care too much what it is you eat as your body has more than enough time to process it properly and then for dinner you can just eat the cold stuff you have in your fridge. If your main meal is dinner, you need to choose more carefully what it is you prepare.

The right food or its cost is not the issue as others have pointed out.
    The education needed to make good decisions is however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    The meme with Nomi would fit more here Appreciate your food or you will all burn!

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    well, if you ate your roommate's food, maybe you could've just given them some pointers as to what you'd wish to find in the fridge. After all, you did pay them for the food you ate, didn't you? To eat healthy, you don't have to cook anything btw. Quality ham, some vegetables, fruit, butter (actual butter, not margarine), eggs, cheese, cottage cheese is all you need to have home to eat healthy.

I know the concept of eating warm lunch as the main meal of the day is strange in most western countries, but trust me, it's much better for you. If you make lunch your main meal, you don't really have to care too much what it is you eat as your body has more than enough time to process it properly and then for dinner you can just eat the cold stuff you have in your fridge. If your main meal is dinner, you need to choose more carefully what it is you prepare.
    This is true, but most people who work full time can't do that during the lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post

My roommate is a pastry chef. I am a chef de cuisine. We are not lacking in talent at my house. I am also not lacking for healthy food because I cook whatever the hell I want at work.

Most people do not have that privilege.

I won't argue with your advice at all. I personally eat mostly protein and fat for my calories, with some carbs mixed in for fun. I'll tell you, I've had my blood work done and I'm stupidly healthy for a male my age.

But on to the topic, the only thing I see on your list that's cheap is eggs. I love eggs. They're great. But ham, fresh fruit, fresh veg, real butter, definitely cheese, can be expensive.

And I failed to mention the startup costs. Like, I have everything I need. Name a seasoning and I probably have it. That's expensive. So when a new cook looks at a recipe and sees they're going to spend $50 to make a proper fajita, why would you? It's $2 for some frozen mac and cheese I can just microwave.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blysto View Post
    This is true, but most people who work full time can't do that during the lunch.
    Exactly. I can. I can literally cook myself a $55 steak for lunch if I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Blysto View Post
    I work full time and I eat a two-course warm lunch everyday in a nearby diner. Menu costs around $3.40. I even make sure to eat a varied selection of foods, not the same stuff all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I work full time and I eat a two-course warm lunch everyday in a nearby diner. Menu costs around $3.40. I even make sure to eat a varied selection of foods, not the same stuff all the time.
    You live in a blessed society.

Employees in my state get a 30 minute unpaid lunch/dinner break, by law, if they work over 8 hours on that shift. And my state is generous.

I'm generous, so it's an hour paid at my place. But I create a culture of expecting people to work 12 hours per day. Because I work that many hours.

Nope. Do not find it interesting.

Then:

Poor:
    Back then poor people ( and other middle to low class) worked hard ( they still do) and ate fresh stuff, but where not wealthy enough to buy allot. So they stayed thing because of diet, not enough money for food and better food.

Rich:
    Where born rich, so very lazy ( now some/more ) rich people work long day's. They where not workers, they where pointers. They had all the food type's to try. And back then it was considered good if a women was bigger because she would be healthier to get/make baby's.

VS

Now:

Poor: Still work hard. But since the big city's and more jobs have come. Less of them have cheap fresh food near them. And that has also gone up in price. So they need to take less health foods. If a cauliflower is 20 bucks and you can by enough big macs to "feed" your family ( i know over the top comparison) you get the 2nd one.

Rich: Started to work, some are "selfmade" so they work hard. They learned being big is not always healthy. They have money for good foods and trainers. And the view on what is hot/sexy has changed to thin.

currently the wealthy are thin because they can afford to eat the "right" foods & exercise while the poorer folks are fat because they can't afford to eat the "right" foods?
    That is simply not true. It seems like by "right foods" that only the rich can afford you mean things like the so-called "bio-" foods that cost 5 times as much as normal foods. The reality is that while they may generally be more healthy than normal foods, they aren't the reason the rich are often thin. Normal foods have exactly as many calories and fat as bio foods. The difference is, for example, that animals used for mass-produce are spiked with antibiotics and fed with worse fodder, which may later cause health issues in costumers, but they don't cause fat.

The fat are, far more often than not, fat because they are lazy. They don't bother preparing their own food, they'll rather throw a box of over-salted, fat-dripping prepped food into the microwave, or have a fast-food and be done with it. The thin are often thin because they exercise and watch their diet. Keeping count on calories is generally the most important thing as far as weight alone is concerned, and it's very much possible to actually lose weight eating only McD stuff and counting calories.

Of course, the rich often have more free time, which means they can afford to spend time on exercising. As for cooking for themselves, let's be honest, most people DO have enough time to do that, they may just choose not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.