Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Disclaimer: I got a return to WoW offer during late WoD, after the last patch to it, and have been playing since then.

This means I didn't suffer the slow patching and content drought of WoD for too long. I think it is better in quite many ways than Legion, but Legion added lots of content rapidly. But now we might have to wait for 6 months to nearly a year for Battle for Azeroth, and I found Tanaan Jungle > Argus, by far.

What WoD did better: Story execution, questing. In general I like the demon invasion of Legion better though. The Garrison and related stuff was more fun to build up than the Order Hall, but I like the champion/expendable helper troops and fewer missions to click of the Order Halls much more. What I don't understand is that they didn't remove gold missions from the Order Hall, they now fill my pocket just like the garrison did. I know how much cash vets made from garrison gold and resources. Building up the fleet was quite fun, I somehow would love to have a fleet/ship order hall thingie in BfA!

I liked the shorter WoD dungeons much more than the longish ones of Legion. I do a weekly 15-16 Mythic+ dungeon on my main and otherwise avoid them like the plague! Especially disappointing: Karazhan. I farmed this raid to death, making a raid a dungeon, just too longish, even after splitting it in two parts.

I like the Artifact Weapon stuff and upgrading it. I would have liked to collect "power" that gets applied evenly to all artifact weapons, so that switching specs is possible and not so much grinding focus on one spec is required. Basically locking players into one spec was a bad idea. The armor infusion system of BfA seems boring in comparison, collecting artifact skins was also fun.

The legendary system was rather bad, too random, too many legendaries, made them trashy, the constant upgrading of lots of legendaries became quickly quite annoying, too.
    I like the World Quest system and the emissary chests for three/four world quests very day, able to finish the objective over 3 days. That's quite nice, a daily quest with a bit more time than a day! The drawback of the world quest system is that the normal quests in Legion were few, short and mostly boring. Or they are like the really great Nightborne story arc, wonderful once, a total chore for alts.

Raid-wise I liked the Nighthold, great raid. I never experienced the early WoD raids before they got trivial, but liked Hellfire Citadel a lot. Antorus is weak, Tomb of Sargeras was good, but not Nighthold or Hellfire Citadel level. The filler raid Trial of Valor: Did it only few times, interesting encounters but I just don't like these filler in between major raids stuff at all.

Class design: Not happy with many class changes, I am super happy that Affliction got this funny soul explosion stuff though. Demonology is horribly boring. The Survival spec for Hunters can be quite powerful, but I find it has a really bad flow and doesn't feel good. I heard Unholy DK is good but tbh I only played Frost and Blood this expansion. My Pally works out quite nicely, barely remember how it was before. Beast Mastery is a bit too simplistic by now, don't like Marksmanship. Demon Hunter, hum, already have too many melee, it's not bad but not a class I will play much in BfA. Feral Druid got patched nicely close to the end of Legion patching, bear tanks are still too strong IMO.

PvP: I don't PvP much, no comment.

What I really liked about Legion was the fast new content delivery. I could live with slower updates, really! What surprised me was how many ideas and effort went into the Broken Shore, only to get supplanted by Argus stuff little later.

Verdict: WoD was not nearly as bad for me as others found it, I quite liked it, enough to resub and play Legion. I always had a soft spot for Draenor, the alternate timeline Draenor was fun for me to explore. The Broken Isles were prettier, everything densely packed together, but it didn't have this "world" feeling. A bit too small. I liked the Artifact weapon and legendary stuff in general, it had some huge flaws as well, unfortunately.

I would rate Legion a bit higher for more things fresh and fun to do late game, but as for endgame zones and raids, I liked Tanaan Jungle and the Hellfire Citadel more.

Edit: What I hate about Argus, it's so smallish and so much mini bossmob shooting gallery. Maybe fewer larger ones instead of oh so many mini bosses.
    Last edited by AnonEntity; 2018-01-16 at 01:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually played less in Legion than I had in WoD by many many hours and many alts.

The zones in legion were terrible. Dull, drab. Insipid. They were just so depressing with very little difference in ambiance. They bored me to tears. The designs themselves were arduous and frustrating. Designed around game mechanics, not about atmosphere or natural formation.

Hated the zones, the storylines were alienating and dissociative. I only managed to get 2 classes to 110 and have basically quit the game.

Broken shore was horrendous and insipid. Sick of the damned place. It offered nothing in terms of engrossment or immersion.

Argus was basically shitting in your own hands and clapping. It was dreadful. It is a clusterfuck of egregious nonsense.

I actually prefer WoD to legion in regards to levelling.

At times Legion feels so obtuse and self important that it is borderline patronising with its own fan fare and grandstanding when in fact it is heavily bloated and egregious.
    As wide as an ocean but deep as a puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Going through the expansion per added content

Launch:
    - Leveling was alright. Zones weren't that great aesthetically and felt claustrophobic at times (Val'Sharah...)
    - Suramar was fantastic. Not just the Good Suramaritan story, but the breadcrum quests around the zone.
    - Class Hall storylines were only good depending on what class you played. Doing the warrior one before the fixes made it really long and unbearable.
    - Artifact weapons had a nice progression path. The grind to 54 traits was ridiculous though, and I'm not a fan of relics.
    - Honor system should've been account wide.
    - Professions didn't feel worth unless you were a gatherer.
    - Dungeons were decent.
    - Emerald Nightmare was a joke. The setting gold old fast.
    - Legendaries sucked.
    - Hidden skins were a nice idea, but executed piss poorly.
    - Balance of Power was lacking.
    - Mythic+ is great.
    7.1:
    - Return to Karazhan was the best dungeon experience I had in a while.
    - Trial of Valor was alright.
    - Insurrection storyline was phenomenal.
    7.1.5:
    - MoP TW irrelevant, comeback of dreadful dungeons such as Niuzao.
    - Brawler's Guild was great.
    - Micro-holidays are alright I guess.
    - Quest Tracker for WQs is great,
    - New legendaries, system still sucked.
    - Nighthold was an aesthetically pleasing raid.
    7.2:
    - Broken Shore was not good. The weekly questline sucked.
    - Cathedral wasn't that great besides aesthetics.
    - Continuing class campaign and class mount were nice additions.
    - Broken Isles invasions were painful.
    - Paragon Mounts suck.
    - Concordance lul.
    - Mage Tower challenges were great.
    - Chromie was welcome solo content.
    7.2.5:
    - BT TW kinda pointless like everything TW.
    - Tomb of Sargeras was not a bad raid, just an unforgiving and frustrating one.
    - New legendaries, system sucks still.
    7.3(.2):
    - Argus had great story, but zone design besides Mac'Aree was annoying af.
    - Invasion Points are pointless.
    - Seat is an alright dungeon.
    - Netherlight Crucible increased relic issues a thousandfold.
    - Antorus is an enjoyable raid.

Overall a good expansion, but 7.2 was somewhat of a weakpoint.
    WoD is probably a quarter of this list, so yeah Legion's better.
    Hoo, you pretty much wrote what I was going to! Thanks!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Going through the expansion per added content

Launch:
    - Leveling was alright. Zones weren't that great aesthetically and felt claustrophobic at times (Val'Sharah...)
    - Suramar was fantastic. Not just the Good Suramaritan story, but the breadcrum quests around the zone.
    - Class Hall storylines were only good depending on what class you played. Doing the warrior one before the fixes made it really long and unbearable.
    - Artifact weapons had a nice progression path. The grind to 54 traits was ridiculous though, and I'm not a fan of relics.
    - Honor system should've been account wide.
    - Professions didn't feel worth unless you were a gatherer.
    - Dungeons were decent.
    - Emerald Nightmare was a joke. The setting gold old fast.
    - Legendaries sucked.
    - Hidden skins were a nice idea, but executed piss poorly.
    - Balance of Power was lacking.
    - Mythic+ is great.
    7.1:
    - Return to Karazhan was the best dungeon experience I had in a while.
    - Trial of Valor was alright.
    - Insurrection storyline was phenomenal.
    7.1.5:
    - MoP TW irrelevant, comeback of dreadful dungeons such as Niuzao.
    - Brawler's Guild was great.
    - Micro-holidays are alright I guess.
    - Quest Tracker for WQs is great,
    - New legendaries, system still sucked.
    - Nighthold was an aesthetically pleasing raid.
    7.2:
    - Broken Shore was not good. The weekly questline sucked.
    - Cathedral wasn't that great besides aesthetics.
    - Continuing class campaign and class mount were nice additions.
    - Broken Isles invasions were painful.
    - Paragon Mounts suck.
    - Concordance lul.
    - Mage Tower challenges were great.
    - Chromie was welcome solo content.
    7.2.5:
    - BT TW kinda pointless like everything TW.
    - Tomb of Sargeras was not a bad raid, just an unforgiving and frustrating one.
    - New legendaries, system sucks still.
    7.3(.2):
    - Argus had great story, but zone design besides Mac'Aree was annoying af.
    - Invasion Points are pointless.
    - Seat is an alright dungeon.
    - Netherlight Crucible increased relic issues a thousandfold.
    - Antorus is an enjoyable raid.

Overall a good expansion, but 7.2 was somewhat of a weakpoint.
    WoD is probably a quarter of this list, so yeah Legion's better.
    A good summary and pretty much how i feel. To add that i loved the new animations for 7.2 and the tamable beasts hunters can tame now. I also liked the fact that with each patch we get a few minor additions like Chromie/Brawlers/Pet dungeons that aren't dungeons/quests/raids. 7.3.5 seems a nice minor patch to give you stuff to do while you progress Antorus or doing other stuff.

Overall a good expansion with huge steps to the right direction (M+) and certainly some flaws (like every expansion).

Legion is 100% in my top 3 expansions.

I've played for most of WoW's lifecycle so far, and Legion, though far from perfect, I feel has had so many positives that I can't wait to see more of.

My goods and bads have pretty much been said to death already by previous posts.

Overall I really enjoyed this expansion - much more so than I remember enjoying WoD.

I feel the mini-missions were much better this xpac than garrison ones - especially with mobile app.

Mythic+ content was fun. Karazhan was the most fun i had in a dungeon since Wrath.

Order hall campaigns were kinda hit or miss. When they hit though, what a great experience.

Questing was also well done, the main stories, and some of th le side quests. I appreciated how each zone had variation in story length.

The Bad:

Professions have been awful for a while, and legion did nothing to improve them. Aside from making money they don’t feel like they matter.

The Broken Shore was such a boring quest hub, and I only completed it once for access to flying. Same with Argus.

Cap on number of quests that can be accepted needs to be upped, drastically.

Legnedaries were a mix. If you got a BiS drop, it really was exciting. If you got the ‘trash’ legendaries, well it sucked know you are now that much less likely to get the drop you want.

7+ Year Old Account
    Legion had 4 points that made it lose the race for best expansion for me:

1. Legendary System: This was very poorly executed as a new carrot for redoing content. You can't lock power behind such a low drop rate and RNG.
    2. Titanforging system: Again, another carrot for redoing content. This system is detrimental to the harder difficulties and makes reaching those difficulties less exiting. I think this system should be capped so it doesn't suprass higher difficulties.

3. Artifact System: The system wasn't that bad, it added a grind but at least it was deterministic and it became much less important as the expansion developed.

4. Combat system: This is something very few people have talked about because the mayority of players aren't educated or dedicated enough to notice it. This expansion has the highest amount of RNG and uncontrolable elements regarding your performance during fights: Trinkets, concordance, legendaries, etc. The difference between a good RNG boss fight vs a bad RNG boss fight is quite significant. This completely destroys satisfaction coming from good play, because you know that even if u play perfectly RNG might not favour you and you do surpar damage. Getting high ranks in Warcraft Logs is also meaningless because above the usual cheesing you have to add that you need perfect aligning procs.

Overall, this expansion has been more enjoyable than most of the past ones but didn't debunk my favorite. I am looking forward to BFA and see what they decide to do.

7+ Year Old Account
    I thought it was fantastic, liked MoP a bit more though however.

Deleted
    After 10 years playing Legion was the only expansion that forced me to unsub so yeah, Legion compared to WoD (or any expansion) is much worse

Quote Originally Posted by Allenseiei View Post
    1. Legendary System: This was very poorly executed as a new carrot for redoing content. You can't lock power behind such a low drop rate and RNG.
    2. Titanforging system: Again, another carrot for redoing content. This system is detrimental to the harder difficulties and makes reaching those difficulties less exiting. I think this system should be capped so it doesn't suprass higher difficulties.

3. Artifact System: The system wasn't that bad, it added a grind but at least it was deterministic and it became much less important as the expansion developed.

4. Combat system: This is something very few people have talked about because the mayority of players aren't educated or dedicated enough to notice it. This expansion has the highest amount of RNG and uncontrolable elements regarding your performance during fights: Trinkets, concordance, legendaries, etc. The difference between a good RNG boss fight vs a bad RNG boss fight is quite significant. This completely destroys satisfaction coming from good play, because you know that even if u play perfectly RNG might not favour you and you do surpar damage. Getting high ranks in Warcraft Logs is also meaningless because above the usual cheesing you have to add that you need perfect aligning procs.
    Very nice summary, though 3 was really really awful for first tier. 1 and 3 looks like will be fixed next expansion but 2 and 4 doesn't look that will change , rip WoW
    Last edited by mmocd2a2ae8157; 2018-01-16 at 02:32 PM.

Both get a 3/10. The artwork, music, and execution of design is top notch. The design itself is terrible. Way way WAY too antisocial. I quit for good 3 months into WoD but came back because a friend bought me Legion. Otherwise id have never returned. And Legion has been bad. REAL bad.

Current plan is to use battlenet balance to get BfA so i can play vanilla because its becoming painfully obvious that vanilla will blow BfA out of the water. I think the population on the vanilla servers will be larger. The current state of the game is SO bad i dont think theres any way it isnt.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-01-16 at 02:39 PM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Legion is much better than WoD. Really the only thing I disliked about Legion is the legendary system and a few spec redesigns... *cough* Survival Hunter *cough*. Otherwise it's my favorite expansion I think. Been playing since 2004.

Also disliked the Paragon Cache system where you grind to get an RNG box. Not sure when grinds and bad and RNG is bad, how Blizzard came to the conclusion a good reward system just stacks them on top of each other.

W/o Legion i wouldn't be a Timelord so Legion>WoD.. plus the 3 raids in WoD were boring

Legendaries, AP, most spec redesigns and titanforging drag the expansion down massively for me. Also the camera distance nerf is super noticeable on a lot of Legion bosses, even though Blizzard said they'd design bosses around it. Beyond that, the wardrobe, M+(the system, not the rewards), WQs/emissaries and some of the raids were good.
    Overall my least favorite expansion, because as the first expansion it took things from previous expansions and made them worse(class design and character progression), rather than just adding entirely new bad things(like garrisons)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

As someone who only really uses LFR to raid anymore, it's been a great expansion. I feel like i always have a lot more to do in Legion then i ever did in WoD.

Legion actually had replay-ability so no comparison there.

Loved it. Enjoyed Legion thoroughly. It had way more content than WoD but that was just due to them abandoning the expansion. Probably the most fun ive had in the game since Wotlk.

You are right, although I would like to add that the legendaries themselves were quite interesting. Using and swapping them according to the fight at hand, especially in M+, added a bit of extra depth to gearing decisions. Losing them feels like throwing out the kid with the bathwather.
    I know it isn't a popular opinion around here, but the titan-forging system is great as it is the cornerstone of making content viable and long-lived. The most extreme example is M+, the best addition to the game, which would be stillborn if it wern't for TF. I don't agree that the system is 'detrimental' to harder difficulties (I assume you mean raids). In fact, the soft nerf they bring (together with the AK/AP system) is far more enjoyable then the hard nerfs of yesteryear. A lot of the 'bad press' around TF comes from discussion board warriors that haven't done the numbers and just keep propagating ludicrous outlier examples as if they happened frequently.[/QUOTE]
    The initial implementation was a bit off. The second iteration was way better.

Fully agree. And while they tried to compensate with the carddeck implementation of procs vs. the proc chance to rail in 'RNG streaks or Die', it is too rng and getting procs at the right time makes or breaks your fight.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    You are right, although I would like to add that the legendaries themselves were quite interesting. Using and swapping them according to the fight at hand, especially in M+, added a bit of extra depth to gearing decisions. Losing them feels like throwing out the kid with the bathwather.

I know it isn't a popular opinion around here, but the titan-forging system is great as it is the cornerstone of making content viable and long-lived. The most extreme example is M+, the best addition to the game, which would be stillborn if it wern't for TF. I don't agree that the system is 'detrimental' to harder difficulties (I assume you mean raids). In fact, the soft nerf they bring (together with the AK/AP system) is far more enjoyable then the hard nerfs of yesteryear. A lot of the 'bad press' around TF comes from discussion board warriors that haven't done the numbers and just keep propagating ludicrous outlier examples as if they happened frequently.

The initial implementation was a bit off. The second iteration was way better.

Fully agree. And while they tried to compensate with the carddeck implementation of procs vs. the proc chance to rail in 'RNG streaks or Die', it is too rng and getting procs at the right time makes or breaks your fight.
    Legendaries were just an extension of the talent system. If they make the talent system have actual choices(for example by including some legendary effects), that's a win.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Ok let's see:

- Questing/Leveling.
    I rate it 9/10. Good scaling tech, and launch of legion was super smooth due to splitting people in 4 different zones. Zone aesthetics are great as always, and the storylines were very fun and interesting. For max level questing, Suramar was amazing, and I was trying my hardest to reach the appropriate reputation thresholds in order to unlock more and more of their amazing story. A really cool race which I like a lot more than Night Elves. The insurrection questline was off the charts.
    The reason I rate it 9/10 is due to broken shore. The chapters there were a horrible questing experience which should never be repeated. Argus was really good and fun yet again. I really liked Turalyon, Alleria and Locus Walker.

- PvP: 5/10.
    Combat was pretty fun in pvp, but I find the overall system really unbalanced. A great problem here is the non-shared prestige ranks. I still haven't reached rank 4 on any of my characters, even though I've gotten some saddle mounts this expansion and played pvp on multiple characters. Many of them lie around 1-3 prestige rank, which I think is a shame.

- Legendary System: 6/10
    A nice concept, initially, but delivered in a really bad way at launch and many of its subsequent patches. I am one of the people who did not get his BiS legendaries until 7.2.5, but I was overall happy with the system on my main. After all, what's the excitement in getting your 2 bis legendaries right off the bat and then not caring at all when you see the 'orange pop-up'? However, this system is atrocious for alts, I like to play a lot of alts, and for example, it really sucks that I got cindaria+KJ trinket on my outlaw/sub rogue, might as well throw that alt in the trash, cause I am not going to do Antorus 50+ times on her, along with all my other toons, in order to get her some decent legendaries.
    If the 7.3.5 feature was implemented since 7.2 or something, the feature would most likely get an 8/10 for me. Another way for it to get graded higher would be if you could buy specific legendaries. Even with 7.3.5's feature, you still have a chance of playing for at least 8 weeks before you get your bis legendaries. A small chance, but a chance nonetheless.

- World Quests: 8.5/10
    Very good, ever-green content. It's a very nice feature which feels more fun than dailies really. The only draw back here was the paragon mounts. I have farmed around 1-1.2 mil reputation extra since that system's inclusion, and I still miss the warden toy, the highmountain moose, and all 3 lightforged elekks. Is it that hard for faction mounts to simply be purchasable again?

- Legion Invasions: 8/10
    Nice small batch of content. Fun the first few times, a bit boring after, still very worthwhile for levelling 100-110.

- Artifacts/Order hall campaigns: 10/10
    Very fun content, some of these questlines are amazing. The class mount quests were fun too most of the time. I especially liked the priest one. It was really cool to go in an underwater titan facility and learn some lore about the mounts. The mage tower challenges are also really fun, and the variety of artifacts is cool. I just wish they would make one final skin for Antorus. I find it lazy that we knew ALL the weapon designs pretty much from start of legion, even the mage tower ones.

- Dungeons and Mythic+: 10/10.
    Very well designed dungeons (bar Seat). The M+ feature is amazing and I look forward to its BfA version. I just hope there will be more rewards to it, similar to WoD/MoP challenge modes. Another very interesting thing I'd like is if you can do the fights in unintended ways, kinda like how you could use spell reflect totem/deterrence/corpse runs/etc in WoD to make very difficult parts of the dungeon easier. It encourages specific comps, but it was still very fun.

- Raids: 9/10
    I personally really liked the raiding scene this expansion. I found Emerald Nightmare, Trial of Valor, and especially Nighthold to be really fun (Due to hating Gul'dan as an Alliance player, and also experiencing the amazing Nightborne questlines). Theme-wise, encounter-wise, difficulty-wise. It felt like a curve, with a small spike in Trial of Valor.
    Tomb of Sargeras was my least favourite raid. I found the design of the raid to be somewhat lacking, especially boss-wise. The first 6 bosses felt really boring, looks-wise. I really liked some of the fights though, like Mistress, Maiden and Avatar. Kil'Jaeden could have been better I think. Another problem with this raid was that Kil'Jaeden felt like some stupid random legion eredar, instead of the master mind he was hyped as.
    Antorus, while still fresh, I really like all of the fights a lot, and I think that despite the overused fel-theme, it was a cool raid. It is also less difficult than ToS, in a good way.

Overall: 9.5/10.
    A very well designed expansion, with its only real pitfalls being the broken shore questline, and pvp. I don't like pvp that much to begin with, so for me, the only real issue was the broken shore questline, legendaries on alts and the paragon caches. When standing next to all the fun Legion has given to me, the pros heavily outweight the cons.
    Last edited by Soluna; 2018-01-16 at 03:30 PM.

I really liked Legion with two exceptions: Broken Shore was so damn annoying that i find hard to progress further on it on alts. Most quests are simply stupid like Sentinax, Self Fufilling Prophecy or Shard Times. And the Legendary system sucked because it was just too RNG reliant and certain specs were gutted by not having the right Leggos. I wanted to play Destruction this weekend but i found myself gimped because i didn't have the right Legendaries while i had the best on Affliction, so i found it really hard to play something i enjoyed more because i was gimping myself. And Affliction was boring.

Everything else was nice. Not the best Xpack ever but certanly a huge improvement over the mess that was WoD.

I liked the Artifact progression, i liked the Mage Tower, Argus was nice - way better than Timeless Isle or Jungle - and all raids were fun enough. Just Emerald Nightmare that was kinda anticlimatic.

Suramar is the best city in the game, but the questline felt really really grindy. It's better now that you don't need to grind rep to finish it. It's the best quest line in Legion by far.

It'll be weird to go back to a weapon progression system in BFA. I will certainly miss the artifacts.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.