Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Well at least you finally come around to admitting it's only 5%. Good job. Enjoy the rest of your day.
    So you apparently don't understand the first 1/2 of the sentence. This is why I'm talking about reading comprehension. For every 10% increase... What's the tax on cigarettes? Poor job. Spend the rest of your day trying to work on your critical thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    So you apparently don't understand the first 1/2 of the sentence. This is why I'm talking about reading comprehension. For every 10% increase... What's the tax on cigarettes? Poor job. Spend the rest of your day trying to work on your critical thinking.
    I don't care about your insults or how you got there. You did come to the same conclusion and that is what is important. Also vaping is pretty popular so that took some of your smokers away from the tobbacy tax you think is so great.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2018-01-16 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Just because it's a liquid doesn't mean it's not filling. Obesity is a complex issue, it's not just a sugar problem. Portion sizes and our overall more sedentary lives are major contributors.
    Stahp. Just stahp.

Sugar is damned near 100% of the problem. Please, go full glutton on grilled chicken and broccoli. Or a steal and asparagus. Do it for a week. Now go full glutton on little Debbie’s, Coke , and pizza for a week straight.

Afterwards step on a scale. Call yourself the control group. You can eat exponentially more healthy foods than you
    can sugary, u healthy foods and not put much weight on. You are right in a sense though. Calories in - calories out = weight gain / weight loss / maintaining. It just so happens that a ton of sugar can be packed into the smallest foods.

I don't care about your insults or how you got there. You did come to the same conclusion and that is what is important.
    I did not come to the same conclusion. What we found is that for every 10% increase in price, 5% of people will chose not to smoke. What's the tax on cigarettes? Not 10%? More than 10%? More than 10%. So what does that mean for how many people choose not to smoke because of taxes? 5%? More than 5%? More than 5%. This is why I will reiterate, work on your critical thinking skills.

Infracted
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2018-01-16 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I did not come to the same conclusion. What we found is that for every 10% increase in price, 5% of people will chose not to smoke. What's the tax on cigarettes? Not 10%? More than 10%? More than 10%. So what does that mean for how many people choose not to smoke because of taxes? 5%? More than 5%? More than 5%. This is why I will reiterate, work on your critical thinking skills.
    yet I showed data that only 5% have quit. so keep taxing and more people will switch to vape to avoid your tax. vaping is still smoking.

yet I showed data that only 5% have quit. so keep taxing and more people will switch to vape to avoid your tax.
    You didn't show data that only 5% have quit. How is this hard to understand?

What about this image should clue you in to that fact if you have working critical thinking faculties? I'd be looking closely at the dates and this next graphic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I buy 4 cases of Diet Dew at a time. that would add up to like 10 bucks more every time i re-up.

or I can burn about 3 dollars in gas and go to the next town over.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    I buy 4 cases of Diet Dew at a time. that would add up to like 10 bucks more every time i re-up.

I agree. I do not think it's going to be an effective tax. I don't think large, sudden, extremely localized taxes do much good. That's not to say taxation isn't effective in controlling some behaviors if implemented correctly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post

Then you get to spend an inordinate amount of medicare funds that I paid into when you are morbidly obese and on your deathbed 15 years before average. Such a self-reliant boot strapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    --snip--
    The left loves taxing poor people.
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2018-01-17 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    Stahp. Just stahp.

Sugar is damned near 100% of the problem. Please, go full glutton on grilled chicken and broccoli. Or a steal and asparagus. Do it for a week. Now go full glutton on little Debbie’s, Coke , and pizza for a week straight.

Afterwards step on a scale. Call yourself the control group. You can eat exponentially more healthy foods than you
    can sugary, u healthy foods and not put much weight on. You are right in a sense though. Calories in - calories out = weight gain / weight loss / maintaining. It just so happens that a ton of sugar can be packed into the smallest foods.
    You can pack on the pounds via steak and chicken if you go over your calorie limit. Sugar is nowhere near 100% of the problem. It is NOT GOOD for you in anything over very small quantities, but many skinny people survive on a diet of energy drinks and sugar and don't get fat. Watch a couple episodes of Supersize vs Superskinny and you'll see that most of the skinny people on the show subsist on caffeine and sugar.

I'm generally for junk food/sugar taxes, but an extreme localized tax can be problematic. If it was small (like .25 cents per ounce or something), then it would drive tax revenue. Seattle's city limits aren't that massive, so going to buy stuff elsewhere isn't a huge issue if you have access to transportation. It'll basically create a sugar vacuum, where people just don't buy or sell sugary drinks, due to the cost. The proper way to implement this is statewide, cities are usually just too small.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAztaroth View Post
    Don't people in the us have to pay for their own healthcare ? I don't see the use of that fee. Discouraging people ?

I could understand it here in canada where if you get obese and you cause problem you actually cost other people money.
    no, common misconception. a lot of people and im talking millions enjoy 100% free healthcare and did before obamacare... obama however did increase that number by even more millions. approx 95 million americans get their healhcare from the government and those that do not have insurance at all still get serviced when needed.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The left loves taxing poor people.
    It is interesting that the end result of this bullshit tax is that poor people get hit harder. I'm at a loss as to why Seattle did this and does not know this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Or you could tax the corporations instead of the consumers........

I know, that would be too hard.
    The consumers don't have the capital to buy Congressmen for this to happen.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It is interesting that the end result of this bullshit tax is that poor people get hit harder. I'm at a loss as to why Seattle did this and does not know this.
    Revenue, mostly, with it being a tax on unhealthy shit being more of a side 'bonus'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Revenue, mostly, with it being a tax on unhealthy shit being more of a side 'bonus'.
    The unhealthy issue is a side concern - but the tax amount is ridiculous. I can see both sides of the issue, but I disagree heavily with a tax like this. Where, exactly, does it stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The unhealthy issue is a side concern - but the tax amount is ridiculous. I can see both sides of the issue, but I disagree heavily with a tax like this. Where, exactly, does it stop.
    Personally I'd prefer that the state government takes the burden for any city development shortfalls but that would require Washington actually levies a fucking income tax or VAT rather than sales tax, but there you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    How big's a case of Coke where you are? 1.75 cents per oz x 12 oz in a can x 24 cans in a case = $5.04
    Tell that to all the people who drink Diet.
    That was my thought. But the numbers were from a 35 pack of 16.9 oz Gatorades.

Health issue aside, the best thing to tax are unnecessary items that people really want. Cigarettes, liquor, soda, snack foods are all things that people can live without, but are willing to fork over expendable income on. From an economical standpoint I would rather I be taxed on something I can choose to live without than food or water. I would be healthier and wealthier.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles