Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I have both and very rarely do I ever need to use either. The only time Authenticator usually stops me is when I disconnect and I have to log back in manually (the old way, not from the launcher), and TBH, it hasn't as of late. Even when my comp restarts, it rarely ever asks for Auth.

So unless you use a ton of different IPs and/or computers, nothing really changes except you get a ton more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenodrake View Post
    Question is the 4 bag slots like extra slots to put say 30 slot bags in.. OR just a extra 4 to the backpack main slot itself..
    Good lord, could you imagine the former?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    I'm not naive, I know there are other ways to steal identities, but this can be one of them. So no, thanks, I don't expose my identity to the Internet even more. I won't make hackers' work easier, because it's more profitable to hack into one database and steal tons of data from one place than hack into individual accounts/computers one by one. Big companies are big targets to hit.
    You again. Making another thread on an Internet forum trying to convince people not to trust anyone. Sure, there is risk to everything, so don't trust Blizzard and do your best to keep your information "safe". Nobody cares. Stop trying to convince us to adopt your panic.

And for the love of all that is good, stop acting like you understand something that we don't. I'm a senior engineer at a global tech company, I understand data security and privacy issues. I accept the risks in order to enjoy the benefits when I'm interacting with a reputable company that has a lot to lose if they screw up. Personally, I am not going to try to live in a technological cave, especially since so much of my data is already out of my control anyway. Not trying to convince you, just stating why your arguments carry no weight for me.

Literally no reason whatsoever not to have both of em.

Only annoying thing is that not all providers are compatible with SMS Protect. I remember when it first came out like 6 or 7 years ago, I was still on Virgin Mobile and was unable to sign up. Sprint/AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile all support it though, which covers most Americans.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    SMS protect allows you to unlock your account if you lose your authenticator or don't have it with you. It's a useful service. Phone numbers are significantly less sensitive than much of the data Blizzard already has. This seems like a real tinfoil hat level discussion to me.

Can anyone come up with a reason not to have account security if they have a phone?

It's funny to read so much hate against 2-factor authentication. It's also ironic that the tin foil hats are against 2-factor. You would think it's the opposite -- being a tin foil hat person, you secure everything due to thinking everyone is out to get you.

5-10-20 years from now EVERYTHING will require 2-factor authentication.

A video game company started doing it first before banks and healthcare companies did. So I give big kudos to Blizzard.
    Last edited by ablib; 2018-01-16 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Can anyone come up with a reason not to have account security if they have a phone?
    I mentioned it above, but certain providers & most pre-paid plans do not support SMS Protect. I can understand the frustration felt by these people, since they will have to switch plans (and pay more for their phone) to get the bag slots. But it's only 4, so it's still not a huge deal.
    – C.S. Lewis

15+ Year Old Account
    1. They are giving 4 free bag slots to anyone who wants to do it.
    2. Its completely optional
    3. If you don't want to do it. Don't. Nothing changes. You'll still have your bags with the same number of spaces they had before 7.3.5.

10+ Year Old Account
    For people who aren't using SMS protect, I do want to mention that it makes it extremely convenient if your authenticator is lost or dies. Normally you need a code from the authenticator to remove it, which means if you can't generate one, you have to contact Blizzard for help removing it which is time consuming and may require you to send proof of identity and have them review and approve it. If you have SMS protect, you can do it all yourself via text.

I had a guildmate whose authenticator died and he was able to fix the situation and get into the game within a few minutes this way. I added it to my account immediately after that, and I highly recommend it to others - especially if you are using a physical keyfob.

(Of course none of this helps you if your phone is lost)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Literally no reason whatsoever not to have both of em.
    Yeah that's what my brother in law's brother thought until he took a job working way way up north at a remote mining site with absolutely no cellular coverage. He had internet access via satellite but had no way to login to a variety of services he had configured with sms-based 2 factor authentication...godaddy, paypal, etc.

Even though this only applies to a very small minority of people who go extended periods without cellular network access, totp is the superior 2 factor method.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    I mentioned it above, but certain providers & most pre-paid plans do not support SMS Protect. I can understand the frustration felt by these people, since they will have to switch plans (and pay more for their phone) to get the bag slots. But it's only 4, so it's still not a huge deal.
    That makes sense. I'm not familiar with pre paid phones. I guess sms would cost extra per.

On the other hand instead of going that route, the authenticators are $6.50 and shipping is probably enough to make it 10. It's cheaper than switching plans.

10+ Year Old Account
    They want to push layers of protection so they don't need to allocate resources assisting the thousands of retards monthly who get trojans on their computers which lead to their accounts being stolen.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    That makes sense. I'm not familiar with pre paid phones. I guess sms would cost extra per.

On the other hand instead of going that route, the authenticators are $6.50 and shipping is probably enough to make it 10. It's cheaper than switching plans.
    I mean for the SMS Protect. The authenticator app works on all smartphones, and there's not a physical replacement. If your plan doesn't support it, you have to switch plans!
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Yeah that's what my brother in law's brother thought until he took a job working way way up north at a remote mining site with absolutely no cellular coverage. He had internet access via satellite but had no way to login to a variety of services he had configured with sms-based 2 factor authentication...godaddy, paypal, etc.
    SMS Protect with Blizzard isn't like having a double 2fa. It's just there as an alternative to your authenticator if needed and makes it easy to remove the authenticator if you have to without having to go through Blizzard. It doesn't mean you need cell service to access your account.

I have literally never been texted, called, or had to do any authentication via my phone since I added the feature four or five years ago. It's just there in case my auth keyfob dies so I don't have to go through the hassle of interacting with Blizzard customer service, and that's it. I imagine that's why they want people to add it: to cut down on the people they need to deal with this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    SMS protect allows you to unlock your account if you lose your authenticator or don't have it with you. It's a useful service. Phone numbers are significantly less sensitive than much of the data Blizzard already has. This seems like a real tinfoil hat level discussion to me.
    Yeah. Blizzard already stores (or has stored) your credit card and/or Paypal information for most people. Your full name, your billing address. I honestly don't understand why people would be worried exclusively about one of the most freely-given and innocuous pieces of contact information, something already you give out anytime it is required for any kind of appointment or needed communication. Your cable company has it. Your doctor's office has it. Your handyman has it. Your bank, your landlord, every friend or family member, and anyone you call can see your number already, many apps you install request access to that information. You probably already use it for 2fa in other places. You're probably already on some kind of telemarketing list or two.

If Blizzard's data is ever compromised, your phone number is pretty much the least useful information they could get out of everything.

I mean for the SMS Protect. The authenticator app works on all smartphones, and there's not a physical replacement. If your plan doesn't support it, you have to switch plans!
    It is definitely true that not all phone plans include texting baseline (it was an addon to my plan, for example) but realistically, are there really may people who doesn't have access to text messaging nowadays? My grandmother has it on her phone. It's hard for me to imagine anyone in the demographic of WoW players who doesn't have it as an option on their phone.

I'm sure they are out there but I really can't see it being widespread enough to be a serious issue.

(I can't see someone swapping phone plans for four bag slots in a video game anyway - they'd just forgo the slots)
    Last edited by Tziva; 2018-01-16 at 07:17 PM. Reason: I CAN TYING.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    signed up for it, simply because i'd 100% not want to lose the decade i devoted to the account...

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    It is definitely true that not all phone plans include texting baseline (it was an addon to my plan, for example) but realistically, are there really people who doesn't have access to text messaging nowadays? My grandmother has it on their phone. It's hard for me to imagine anyone in the demographic of WoW players who doesn't have it as an option on their phone.

I'm sure they are out there but I really can't see it being widespread enough to be a serious issue.

(I can't see someone swapping phone plans for four bag slots in a video game anyway - they'd just forgo the slots)
    It's not that you don't have texting. Blizzard just doesn't support SMS Protect on some plans. As an example, I had unlimited talk/text/data from Virgin Mobile, and a current gen smartphone, but was unable to get SMS Protect because Blizzard didn't support it on Virgin's network. Similar issues with Boost Mobile, Cricket, MetroPCS, TracFone, etc. Even if you have texting (even unlimited!) they just don't support those networks.

It was annoying until my company paid for my switch to T-Mobile.
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    it is freeeeeee
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

The horror of blizzard trying to get people to secure their accounts. It's amusing reading people complaining about some gaming company having their phone number when you probably hand it out freely to many other private businesses without thinking about it.

There's still physical authenticators