Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Interesting. I thought the WoW team would've had this nailed down, since they've been doing it for 14 years. I wonder what came up.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    They definitely should have started a few hours earlier - but lets be real, if they haven't fixed this in the last 14 years, they're not going to do it now :P
    Seems to be a fundamental flaw with their engine or the way the server runs the game. We already know that the engine has limited the developers capabilities, and that's there far, far too many assets and far too much code already built into the engine to abandon it for a new one. Looks like it's going to be what we are stuck with until the game's end, unless Blizzard has decided to invest in technology that can transfer the exact layout of their world, all of the assets, all of the items and character files over to their new engine, which TBH sounds borderline impossible. Not to mention, they'd have to completely rebuild all of their code improvements too.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2018-01-16 at 10:31 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Interesting. I thought the WoW team would've had this nailed down, since they've been doing it for 14 years. I wonder what came up.

Seems to be a fundamental flaw with their engine or the way the server runs the game. We already know that the engine has limited the developers capabilities, and that's there far, far too many assets and far too much code already built into the engine to abandon it for a new one. Looks like it's going to be what we are stuck with until the game's end, unless Blizzard has decided to invest in technology that can transfer the exact layout of their world, all of the assets, all of the items and character files over to their new engine, which TBH sounds borderline impossible. Not to mention, they'd have to completely rebuild all of their code improvements too.
    I think you nailed what will eventually end the franchise. When WoW can't leap to VR. then again there is no shortage of 3rd world shitholes filled with people who can code, and AI is here.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    One of the many dangers of having raids on Tuesday:,(

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I even have a buddy who lost a real-life-money bet because he was so sure Firelands would be unplayable on launch day. I can't remember which one but I want to say there's only been like one major patch that was just completely broken all day launch day since then.
    When WOD launched the Garrisons were mess up you couldn't get in them, I'm not sure how long it lasted tho I forget.

Raid starts at 5PM PST.. no more extensions please

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    I think you nailed what will eventually end the franchise. When WoW can't leap to VR. then again there is no shortage of 3rd world shitholes filled with people who can code, and AI is here.
    VR will be dead tech again by 2020 unless they can somehow lower the financial entry barrier to not involve $500 headsets and then a ridiculous rig to support it.

The average person isn't taking a $600 risk just so he can walk around a VR chat room posing as a 13 year old anime girl.

People here were saying "don't worry, it won't take that long, they just say it will so they come in under the deadline" and here I am with a decade of experience with this game, knowing full-well it won't be up until 9.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    They definitely should have started a few hours earlier - but lets be real, if they haven't fixed this in the last 14 years, they're not going to do it now :P
    Fixed what? thats like saying a veteran driver should never have car troubles. Considering the scope of the changes anyone who wasn't prepared for issue is either new to MMOs or naive. I wouldn't be surprised to find out nearly 80% of the game is seeing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKillem View Post
    When WOD launched the Garrisons were mess up you couldn't get in them, I'm not sure how long it lasted tho I forget.
    It was something like 2 days before people could regularly get into their garrison. Even then the bugs persisted, with people showing up in others' garrisons, lag related disconnects, and quest objectives not showing up that were needed to unlock it in the first place.

Things were fine for the handful of people who got in and out early, and moved out of the over-populated quests and zones. Everyone else was wrecked.

7+ Year Old Account
    heh, it's cute. I was just looking at my realm/toons list

There used to be realms that came up hours sooner than others. thats how much better it got.

For example, I have one toon on Onyxia from a decade ago, I know the name, it's noveigth It's even in a guild called "muh servah is down" lol masses of people would briefly "reroll" just to get in game during those times.

look how far we've come.

Quote Originally Posted by Blamblam41 View Post
    I remember a time when this was a 1 am to 11 am ordeal. Blizzard doing maintenance during peak hours is fucking horrid.
    Just dont mention that on their forums, their Nazis, I mean, moderators really get their panties in a twist over it

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have 8 kids and 3 jobs and today was my only day off in four months. I demand compensation for this atrocity.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

This is what we are all thinking atm I am sure:
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by qactuar View Post
    Surely the end of days is upon us when a maintenance is extended. How are we to cope?
    How about not at all? Everyone, run for the hills in a most panicked fashion!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuchika View Post
    VR will be dead tech again by 2020 unless they can somehow lower the financial entry barrier to not involve $500 headsets and then a ridiculous rig to support it.

The average person isn't taking a $600 risk just so he can walk around a VR chat room posing as a 13 year old anime girl.
    This is very narrow minded thinking. There are certainly barriers to the format, but it will eventually be the way we enjoy games, and a lot of other entertainment. Thinking VR will die is a misguided thought.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    I have 8 kids and 3 jobs and today was my only day off in four months. I demand compensation for this atrocity.
    There was one time they did award playtime for downtime. I think it was after 2.2.0 It was measly, a day or 4, the servers were jacked up for a week. I don't think you'll be seeing it again. XD

RAGE!!!!!!!!

*Speedy goes old school, and starts hulk smashing everything in sight*

ROAR!!!
    "Haters gonna hate, whatcha gonna do?

They're haters after all, it's what they do!" - The Legend, aka "The Best," aka "The Champ," aka "Speedymage," aka "MagusHenosis," aka "The Grim Reaper of Top Players"

we used to get free days all the time, but every Tuesday the servers were down at least 3 hours

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Fixed what? thats like saying a veteran driver should never have car troubles. Considering the scope of the changes anyone who wasn't prepared for issue is either new to MMOs or naive. I wouldn't be surprised to find out nearly 80% of the game is seeing changes.
    Reading comprehension! He was saying fix the time of which they apply the updates. Not that they needed to fix the way they update or how it can take extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    People here were saying "don't worry, it won't take that long, they just say it will so they come in under the deadline" and here I am with a decade of experience with this game, knowing full-well it won't be up until 9.
    You forget to add that the first few hours it comes up it will be lag ridden and unplayable lol