7+ Year Old Account

How to keep an SSD running smooth?

From what i read in google its not advised or well you shouldn't defrag an SSD. So i am wondering is there another way to keep your system running smooth as possible on an SSD? Besides the malware/virus scans.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't defrag.

Leave like 5-10% of free space on the SSD.

Simple as that.

I've still got a very well-working Crucial m4 128GB SSD from 2011. I honestly can't believe that was 7 years ago, but it was and it still works great.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    There's really nothing you need to do to 'keep it running smooth' besides making sure it has a decent amount of space (10-15%). TRIM (the SSD version of Defrag, effectively) runs automatically.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    TRIM (the SSD version of Defrag, effectively) runs automatically.
    Out of curiosity, is this initiated by the SSD or the OS? Or rephrased, should I leave some disk space open when using a SSD for my xbox as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Out of curiosity, is this initiated by the SSD or the OS? Or rephrased, should I leave some disk space open when using a SSD for my xbox as well?
    It's done by the OS, and the Xbox OS doesn't support TRIM, however some drives have a garbage collection feature.

That said it... Largely doesn't matter. The Xbox has a fraction of the read/write amount of a computer, so it's sort of a moot point regardless.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    There's really nothing you need to do to 'keep it running smooth' besides making sure it has a decent amount of space (10-15%). TRIM (the SSD version of Defrag, effectively) runs automatically.
    Does this happen with W8.1?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Does this happen with W8.1?
    From my understanding, TRIM was introduced in Win7 and can only be manually disabled. So I assume Win7 and above has it by default enabled.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you leave the option on Windows will do a SSD version of defragging called TRIM it will do it once a month.. It does this to extend the life of the drive (yes that may sound dumb) but SSD's do fragment and letting Windows do its TRIM once a month is all that is needed..

7+ Year Old Account
    Looks like its enabled for me but i was wondering does it do the TRIM thing for more than one SSD on the pc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Looks like its enabled for me but i was wondering does it do the TRIM thing for more than one SSD on the pc?
    Yep. It does.

7+ Year Old Account
    Awesome thanks.

I have an old 30Gb that is still kicking. They seem to be more reliable than hard drives. I've had one to fail out of the last 15, most of them were replaced because they were too small.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    you should have an external hdd to store all games on and only store os and programs on the onboard drive. get a 4tb for like 100$ and put in a external loader and ur good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    you should have an external hdd to store all games on and only store os and programs on the onboard drive. get a 4tb for like 100$ and put in a external loader and ur good.
    lol wtf dude really? External HDD? Yeah, if you want to wait forever for your games to load. bahaha get out of here. That's not even on-topic.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol wtf dude really? External HDD? Yeah, if you want to wait forever for your games to load. bahaha get out of here. That's not even on-topic.
    I have a SATA port that I can plug in an external HDD into on my system. Is that a bad thing? Why would it be slower than a SATA port inside the device?

- - - Updated - - -

Would a 500GB SSD drive for 30-50 more be better than a second HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I have a SATA port that I can plug in an external HDD into on my system. Is that a bad thing? Why would it be slower than a SATA port inside the device?
    Pretty sure he was referring to the xbox, and he's entirely correct. For you, no, external sata is fine for an ssd, but try to ensure it's as fast as the sata speed of the drive. This isn't a big deal though, the differences are pretty minimal.

EDIT: unless the new xbox has an external sata port? I admit I haven't paid attention to the newer specs on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Pretty sure he was referring to the xbox, and he's entirely correct. For you, no, external sata is fine for an ssd, but try to ensure it's as fast as the sata speed of the drive. This isn't a big deal though, the differences are pretty minimal.

EDIT: unless the new xbox has an external sata port? I admit I haven't paid attention to the newer specs on them.
    Ah.... I missed the xBox part..... oops!!!! No idea on the xbox. Would be cool though if it did!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    what are you talking about? My external drive has about 20 seconds faster load time than the internal drive. I have my entire library of about 3tb worth of games installed onto a 7200 4tb hdd and never have to worry about space. Have fun managing game files cus u cant fit shit on 500gb

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Would a 500GB SSD drive for 30-50 more be better than a second HDD?
    no cus 500gb is super fast to fill. 7200 rpm drives arnt that much slower than an ssd when loading xbox games. go google drive speed comparisons.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol forgot we're talking Xbox. That's entirely my bad, carry on! Sorry, @Zeta333
    "A flower.

what are you talking about? My external drive has about 20 seconds faster load time than the internal drive. I have my entire library of about 3tb worth of games installed onto a 7200 4tb hdd and never have to worry about space. Have fun managing game files cus u cant fit shit on 500gb

- - - Updated - - -

no cus 500gb is super fast to fill. 7200 rpm drives arnt that much slower than an ssd when loading xbox games. go google drive speed comparisons.
    Didn't realize it was xBox either oooopss!