Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Look at both of you, all high-and-mighty with your "they don't deserve this" or "I'm better than kids, haha" attitudes.
    I take that wasn't directed to me, if so, I would suggest you go read it again.

When it comes to accounts, all players are to be treated equally.
    That is indeed true but not all players are rewarded equally if the other isn't doing something to obtain said reward. Basic knowledge. Unless you are the parent (if you are one) that brings gifts for your child to open at another child's birthday.

This isn't mythic raiding or 2400+ pvp, this is simple account maintenance.
    Indeed, it is simple maintenance, not really what we talked about though. We were talking about simple, free, security that a big ol' mean company is offering a reward for you to sign up for, to protect your account.

SMS protect is nice, but to require it for an ingame reward is stupid, especially since a phone number costs well over $15 a month.
    Well, the same with the authenticator, though. You either need a phone or cash up for the hardware version. And really, it isn't Blizzard ache what ever phone contract, service or not you may, or may not have. They offer it as a reward if you can secure your account to what they see fullest.

Step one: Acquire Authenticator, achieve companion pet as reward. Account security increases according to development.
    Step two: Acquire SMS protect along with the Authenticator, achieve more storage as reward. Account security increases according to development.

Both steps are optional, aren't forced upon, nor are they a game changing thing or a game demanding thing.

A simple one-time purchase of an authenticator was fine for corehound, it should be fine for the 4 slots.
    So, you rather people purchase the app then? Currently it is free, and I know even some kids that plays WoW at 12 and up, they have phones. Maybe not Data plans but can connect to WiFi, and still use their free app. As for the burner phones, they don't work in the US? Worked here when SMS protect just started.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2018-01-16 at 10:02 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That is indeed true but not all players are rewarded equally if the other isn't doing something to obtain said reward.
    Doesn't matter for things outside of the game.

Indeed, it is simple maintenance, not really what we talked about though. We were talking about simple, free, security that a big ol' mean company is offering a reward for you to sign up for, to protect your account.
    There's that word again. A phone isn't free.

I know even some kids that plays WoW at 12 and up, they have phones. Maybe not Data plans but can connect to WiFi, and still use their free app.
    That's nice, but not every kid is like that. It's fine to reward for ingame activities, it is not fine to reward for lifestyle. Some kids out there are thankful just for the $15 a month their parents can afford and don't have a phone.

You're just not getting it. It's not the 4 slots that's the problem, it's only 4 slots, it's the SMS protect that's the problem. Not everyone can get that. Again, I have no problem with them. I have both, I will get the 4 slots, but it screws over a minority part of the playerbase for something technically out of their control.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

That's nice, but not every kid is like that. It's fine to reward for ingame activities, it is not fine to reward for lifestyle. Some kids out there are thankful just for the $15 a month their parents can afford and don't have a phone.

You're just not getting it. It's not the 4 slots that's the problem, it's only 4 slots, it's the SMS protect that's the problem. Not everyone can get that. Again, I have no problem with them. I have both, I will get the 4 slots, but it screws over a minority part of the playerbase for something technically out of their control.
    To be fair, if you cannot afford a basic phone plan, but can afford monthly WoW sub plus the computer/laptop to run it on, I think there are other things that need to be ironed out before worrying about 4 bag slots. I know, I don't know everyone's story, lots of different circumstances, etc. But as you said, it's 4 bag slots. It's not something people should be up in arms about because Blizzard is incentivizing utilizing extra account protection. Optional reward for optional protection. It doesn't screw anyone over. It's not something that fixes a broken game, or ruins their playing of the game. It's 100% a bonus.

All that being said, it doesn't bother me one way or another whether they keep SMS as part of it or end up removing it. I just get why they're doing it, and why it makes sense, and is not "punishing."
    Last edited by Renley; 2018-01-16 at 10:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Prepaid phone numbers don't work. Can you confirm Blizzard will accept virtual numbers?
    Many prepaid numbers will work. Both my spouse and I have (different) prepaid phones and both work.

But Blizzard will not accept voip no.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2018-01-16 at 10:10 PM. Reason: changed "plan" to "phone" since plan has misleading connotation in this context

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Then the four bag slots doesn't matter.

There's that claim again, it isn't Blizzard's responsibility for your to pay your phone or not.

If that is how limited it is, then they should be happy just to enjoy the game and not need extras. So those four slots aren't really that much of a problem.

You aren't getting it, are you? It is an optional reward, isn't forced, can be obtained when at own leisure. It doesn't take a cost at any minority. It is an optional feature that helps you secure your account better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Many prepaid numbers will work. Both my spouse and I have (different) prepaid phones and both work.
    I thought so! I knew it was sounding stupid to claim they didn't.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    Nah, read it again. If someone could steal your data from Blizz. I believe (I can't know for sure) that Blizz is for our security, sure. But what if some 3rd party would steal Blizz/user data at some point? The whole thing blows up, not only your characters and account. That's why I don't give them my phone number, so a 3rd party won't steal mine from Blizz, which is a big company with big publicity.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why it's advertised and tied to those bagslots. It needs more attention.
    You sound like you wear tinfoil hats
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trend View Post
    You again. Making another thread on an Internet forum trying to convince people not to trust anyone. Sure, there is risk to everything, so don't trust Blizzard and do your best to keep your information "safe". Nobody cares. Stop trying to convince us to adopt your panic.

And for the love of all that is good, stop acting like you understand something that we don't. I'm a senior engineer at a global tech company, I understand data security and privacy issues. I accept the risks in order to enjoy the benefits when I'm interacting with a reputable company that has a lot to lose if they screw up. Personally, I am not going to try to live in a technological cave, especially since so much of my data is already out of my control anyway. Not trying to convince you, just stating why your arguments carry no weight for me.
    Simply the amount of micro management needed for these extra layers of security does not worth my time. And what if I lose my phone? Micro management again to close an extra threat caused by losing that thing. No thanks.

Again: Why do they ask for my phone number in the first place? Or why do they have the option to install a phone app? Why isn't a physical authenticator good enough? Why isn't my PC good enough?

Because they want to sneak to your privacy even more. That's why. And this doesn't make me frightened. It makes me frightened how easily this can be showed down to the throats of so many ppl. They don't stop and think for a single moment. Those extra bag slots could be easily a reward of a quest chain or could be sold by a vendor for gold. No, you have to give your phone number and install an app to your phone. The difference between real life and pixels doesn't exist for so many ppl.

Deleted
    Incorrect. Having a phone isn't free. People as young as 13 are allowed to play WoW. Before this, a parent could easily just control the keychain authenticator with no phone needed. The kid even gets a corehound pet. Now, those players are screwed out of 4 extra slots unless their parent gives them a phone or the parent has to involve their phone in their kid's gaming activities.
    Sorry but in which CELL BLOCK do you live? I dunno a teen who has NOT a smartphone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M1r4g3 View Post
    But im talking from my experience using it for like a year or more? I don't know what causes it but it happened often enough for me to get triggered and remove it.
    in 2006? cause for the last 10 years this is NOT how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by M1r4g3 View Post
    But im talking from my experience using it for like a year or more? I don't know what causes it but it happened often enough for me to get triggered and remove it.
    Clearly not seeing how you only need to enter it once (per PC u log in on).

I have had mine since after they released and I have used it less times then I got fingers. Hell I haven't used it in 2 years on my current PC.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Simply the amount of micro management needed for these extra layers of security does not worth my time. And what if I lose my phone? Micro management again to close an extra threat caused by losing that thing. No thanks.

Again: Why do they ask for my phone number in the first place? Or why do they have the option to install a phone app? Why isn't a physical authenticator good enough? Why isn't my PC good enough?

Because they want to sneak to your privacy even more. That's why. And this doesn't make me frightened. It makes me frightened how easily this can be showed down to the throats of so many ppl. They don't stop and think for a single moment. Those extra bag slots could be easily a reward of a quest chain or could be sold by a vendor for gold. No, you have to give your phone number and install an app to your phone. The difference between real life and pixels doesn't exist for so many ppl.
    Have you read any of the replies in the thread at all or looked closely into the matter? A physical authenticator is enough, there is no micromanagement involved, no one wants to install an app and you can get some burner prepaid phone that has no affiliation to you or your data and use its phone number to enable SMS protect and have it lying in your basement. It is completetly tinfoil hat proof. No one is out to get you. No need to make a ruckus about it.

Deleted
    SMS protect is nice, but to require it for an ingame reward is stupid, especially since a phone number costs well over $15 a month.
    Seriously in what terrible BAD (sh*thole as some orange head calls it ^^) do you live? these days a phone number costs 10 bucks a month and includes texts and data.

- - - Updated - - -

Prepaid phone numbers don't work.
    yes, they do! my brothers account is secured with one for the last 5 years.
    Last edited by mmoc25fb373f9a; 2018-01-16 at 10:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would have to go through those steps anyways, if you lost the authenticator, or you got hacked, you would need to seek a GM.

No, you're a human being which means your electrical components has a higher possibility of being compromised and thus they give your offers of security options - optional options. The authenticator is good but nor perfect, that is why the SMS protect is there too.

Because they want to sneak to your privacy even more. That's why. And this doesn't make me frightened. It makes me frightened how easily this can be showed down to the throats of so many ppl. They don't stop and think for a single moment.
    I take it you don't have or do the following?

- Phone contracts.
    - Vacation by flights.
    - Vacation by at hotels.
    - Credit Cards.
    - Paid streaming.
    - Ordering online.
    - Travel cards.
    - Insurances.
    - Warranty Services.

and much more. All of the above are some of the products that companies sell, which also is known to sell on your details.

Those extra bag slots could be easily a reward of a quest chain or could be sold by a vendor for gold. No, you have to give your phone number and install an app to your phone. The difference between real life and pixels doesn't exist for so many ppl.
    Yes, you have to get the app, because it is a reward for protecting your account. But you are rather paranoid so it shouldn't be a bother for you to not get those four slots anyways. That way, some other company can sell your details and not Blizzard.

There is no micro management needed at all. I've had SMS protect since they started using it and I've had to use it once to remove the authenticator when I got a new phone. And if you lose your phone? What do you do when you lose your bank card? You call up the bank and block the card. Same thing can be done with your sim-card if you're on a plan. If you use prepaid cards then you'll just have to go through the same thing you would if you didn't have SMS protect.

A PC is not as mobile as a phone is, would you rather bring your PC with you to your friends house so you can logon to WoW? Doubt it. The physical authenticator is good enough, if you lose it tho it'll be a lot smoother to recover your account when you have SMS Protect as well.

You should probably stop using the internet right now. If you're this paranoid about a company (that already has your full name, date of birth, e-mail etc.) then what are you doing on the internet? And you better not be using a smart phone or any older phone that has bluetooth! someone might hack into your phone and steal your secrets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Clearly not seeing how you only need to enter it once (per PC u log in on).

I have had mine since after they released and I have used it less times then I got fingers. Hell I haven't used it in 2 years on my current PC.
    I use it about 60-90 days, but only because I do a system wide flush.

Personally I didn't even have a cellphone with a plan that I could text on until November 2017 but I had android devices I could run the authenticator on so that was fine.

But it's 4 bag slots so not much incentive anyways, and I am not really worried about giving out my phone number to blizzard...

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    This is my biggest problem with that. I don't have a mobile authenticator, but I have a physical gadget since it was available (because of the Core Hound Pup). But giving them my mobile number is a bit too much. It looks like a scam to me.
    A scam? Blizzard is aggressively pushing authentication for a very simple reason. People adding extra security to their accounts can save blizzard millions by not having to pay people to waste time dealing with compromised accounts. Saves money and headaches. It's really that simple. But sure... scams...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Seriously in what terrible BAD (sh*thole as some orange head calls it ^^) do you live? these days a phone number costs 10 bucks a month and includes texts and data.
    A shithole known as Canada, for one. Good luck getting anything for $10/month here.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    A shithole known as Canada, for one. Good luck getting anything for $10/month here.
    Can confirm. I spent last summer in Ontario and couldn't get 1gb of data for less than 50$ a month, plus there wasn't any data plan without voice or text messages. So barbaric.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    no thats a PLAIN LIE. thats what PRE PAIDS are for....

The only lie is YOURS.

Read something in your life: https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/26824

Cell phones with prepaid plans may not work with the SMS Protect service.

I bet you feel pretty silly now.

It's not free. Nothing is free in capitalism. Basically they made many ppl trade a piece of their privacy and security for something that could be bought in-game for gold.

They have 2 of their softwares on my PC already (launcher and game), why should I install an other piece of their softwares to my phone? Moreover, why should I give my phone number to a big-ass company that is well known by millions around the Earth and is attacked by thousands on a daily basis to steal data from?

Giving access to your phone and giving them your phone number IS a great security and privacy risk itself. Only foolish can't see that.
    I'm sure no-one is interested in your phone number.