Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If a judge says he has to answer questions, then there isn't much choice. Jail time or answers...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If a judge says he has to answer questions, then there isn't much choice. Jail time or answers...
    Or the 5th, or executive privilege, or presidential pardon. So LOTS of choices!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    See even lockedout knows something needs to be hidden.
    Not necessarily, any competent lawyer would tell you not to answer questions regardless of how innocent you are.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    With our prison conditions, he may be too concerned. Get sentenced to prison for 5 years, relax and then get released after serving 1 or 2 years. Or after Mueller finishes his investigation, Trump pardons him. I mean if Chelsea Manning can be......or cocaine dealers can be....

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Or the 5th, or executive privilege, or presidential pardon. So LOTS of choices!
    Nixon tried "executive privilege" when he was ordered to produce certain tapes.
    A unanimous Supreme Court said "Nope! You ain't some goddamn king."
    The decision set a precedent limiting said privilege.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Good analogy. Considering how long it took them to build them. lol! But, a lot of people would milk a case for as long as they could when there is no time limit and they are on ether a salary or hourly wage, knowing the gravy train stops when they finish.

But the bubble is not the case. It is the expectations.
    Underlined makes it a bad analogy. As this investigation is, considering the size and scope of things, going extremely fast.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Nixon tried "executive privilege" when he was ordered to produce certain tapes.
    A unanimous Supreme Court said "Nope! You ain't some goddamn king."
    The decision set a precedent limiting said privilege.
    But later, Ford pardoned him. So he served no jail time at all. Same thing could happen to Bannon or Flyn. Or Manafort. If Trump is indicted and ether resigns or is removed from office and charged with a crime, Pence would do the same thing I bet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Underlined makes it a bad analogy. As this investigation is, considering the size and scope of things, going extremely fast.
    Or it is not as big as some think it is.

But later, Ford pardoned him. So he served no jail time at all. Same thing could happen to Bannon or Flyn. Or Manafort. If Trump is indicted and ether resigns or is removed from office and charged with a crime, Pence would do the same thing I bet.
    It was after the facts though. And it got him out of the office.
    And his name was synonymous with shit afterward.

Then he gets slapped with a state case that the pardon acceptance had him admit guilt to and which it cannot protect him from.

Wouldn't quite work the same way since they would have state level charges against them since a pardon is an admission of guilt they would be trading federal for state prison.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Then he gets slapped with a state case that the pardon acceptance had him admit guilt to and which it cannot protect him from.
    Wrong. A Presidential pardon means that person cannot be charged for the crime they committed which they have been granted a pardon for by any authority. It is the final and most powerful pardon in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Wouldn't quite work the same way since they would have state level charges against them since a pardon is an admission of guilt they would be trading federal for state prison.
    Nope. Show me a case where a person who received a Presidential pardon for a crime and then later was charged and convicted of the same crime by some other authority. Then I will admit I am wrong.

President "shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment"

Sticky language.

Nope. Show me a case where a person who received a Presidential pardon for a crime and then later was charged and convicted of the same crime by some other authority. Then I will admit I am wrong.
    Presidential pardons only apply to federal charges feel free to look it up.

Wrong. A Presidential pardon means that person cannot be charged for the crime they committed which they have been granted a pardon for by any authority. It is the final and most powerful pardon in the US.
    That's the funny part - he wouldn't be charged with the same crime. But the admission he'd have to make to accept a pardon? Would find him guilty of RICO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Presidential pardons only apply to federal charges feel free to look it up.
    I did. https://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_pard.html the only crime he can not pardon is impeachment. like I said, show me a case where this is not true.

He could face a civil suit however.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-01-17 at 01:22 AM.

I did. the only crime he can not pardon is impeachment. like I said, show me a case where this is not true.
    So he can't Pardon his own Impeachment himself?

I did. https://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_pard.html the only crime he can not pardon is impeachment. like I said, show me a case where this is not true.
    https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardo...d-instructions

However, the President cannot pardon a state criminal offense.
    Unless the Department of Justice is lying or somehow not a credible source. I think I'll take them over "usconstitution.net"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xRandx View Post
    So he can't Pardon his own Impeachment himself?
    No he can't. Which is why Nixon resigned before he was impeached.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardo...d-instructions

Unless the Department of Justice is lying or somehow not a credible source. I think I'll take them over "usconstitution.net"
    Which in the case of Trump or the others mentioned, would be a federal case.

10+ Year Old Account
    No he can't. Which is why Nixon resigned before he was impeached.
    Actually, Nixon considered pardoning himself. He chose not to, in part because it was something that had never been legally tested. There isn't really anything saying he can't, so it would be "interesting".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Which in the case of Trump or the others mentioned, would be a federal case.
    Given the investigations going on in New York, not necessarily. There are absolutely potential state-level crimes for him and members of his administration. Hence why Mueller is working with the Attorney General of New York - https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...general-242191

Either way, I was correcting your misconception that the PotUS has the authority to pardon state-level crimes. They don't.